Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The amount of people in this thread who have no clue about statistics, yet act/argue like it's the subject they've studied their whole life, is way too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Haha..my first thought exactly. Does it say s.th about the women on this study?
    Easily discovered by clicking the link. It even has fancy easy to read charts to show you and gives you a commentary on the breakdown.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Correction: They're more likely to message those men, which doesn't necessarily mean they were the first to make contact. Possibly it's just that since the majority of men were below average, the majority of the messages they received were from those men, which influenced who they responded to.

Men, by contrast, are usually the initiators, though I've had a fair number of women contact me through the years. Over the last 3 years, I've probably had somewhere around 20 attractive women contact me on OKC, and possibly the same number of unattractive women. By contrast my friend Kristi, who's an attractive woman, has an inbox full of a couple hundred emails from guys at any given time.
    Which part of my post indicated that the women initiated contact? (replying to a message, is also contact - if a woman is not interested in a man that messages her, she can just as easily ignore the message).
    Your anecdote seems to reinforce the point - attractive women get a fuck-ton of messages. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the statistics - I'll be the first to admit that my grasp of statistics is not great - but the graph which shows attractiveness of the women vs number of men that contacted them looks like about 2/3 of the men are 'competing for the 'top' 1/3 of women (on the attractiveness scale).
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Your anecdote seems to reinforce the point - attractive women get a fuck-ton of messages.
    Because they do, and from what I've read some are really fucking weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    On the contrary, I think people don't think about money in relationships near enough, then they're shocked when it's a problem in a relationship down the road. Picking a partner with consideration towards their likely future earnings and the stability of those earnings is an entirely sensible approach to relationships. Ignoring earnings potential and job security and hoping that the strength of the relationship will get you through any problems that arise is a recipe for failures.
    Maybe that is right, but will you disagree that people who choose their partners based on feeling that their credit card will be at their service whenever they want, and then bury themselves in debt, is a recipe for failure as well? Or, how can someone trust that their partner will stay with themselves through hard times, until they both get out of it, when there's a chance that, if someone richer appears, that partner will leave to stay with that person? I don't know about you, but I'd rather be rated on average a 4 out of 10 (based on that video where girls found men more attractive if they were rich) and still find someone who would stay with me through hard times, than be rated an average of 8 out of 10 and be dumped when my partner found someone that is a 10 out of 10. Simply put, I don't see how it is possible to trust someone who views "financial stability" as my more attractive trait. I'm not their bank account, and I think everyone values financially independent women

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Which part of my post indicated that the women initiated contact? (replying to a message, is also contact - if a woman is not interested in a man that messages her, she can just as easily ignore the message).
    Your anecdote seems to reinforce the point - attractive women get a fuck-ton of messages. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the statistics - I'll be the first to admit that my grasp of statistics is not great - but the graph which shows attractiveness of the women vs number of men that contacted them looks like about 2/3 of the men are 'competing for the 'top' 1/3 of women (on the attractiveness scale).
    Perhaps I should have said clarification rather than correction. The word "contact" suggests an initial communication. I was just trying to be clear that the women are probably not just cruising through OKC and contacting guys they don't find attractive.

And yeah, it seems the vast majority of men shoot for the moon whatever their own physical attractiveness may be.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Apparently men are overall just butt ugly :P.[COLOR="red"]
    As a gay guy myself, I think the issue is that it generally takes more work to become an attractive guy than it does to become an attractive women.

For women, it's basically a combination of weight control, hygiene, and being intelligent about what they wear. Guys need to do all of those things, and on top of that build muscle and refine their demeanor. At the end of the day, a woman can go on a diet and get slim--but a guy can't do the same and manage to get abs.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    For women, it's basically a combination of weight control, hygiene, and being intelligent about what they wear. Guys need to do all of those things, and on top of that build muscle and refine their demeanor. At the end of the day, a woman can go on a diet and get slim--but a guy can't do the same and manage to get abs.
    The funny thing is, someone posted a few weeks ago that when most guys work out they focus on their chest, but most women find the butt to be the most attractive part.

maybe it says something about the sample of men on okcupid and not women's expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Destructinator View Post
    maybe it says something about the sample of men on okcupid and not women's expectations
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe the guys on Okcupid are just below avg. Most of my male friends don't use dating sites as they think it is beneath them.

My view is that attractive men probably don't want to use a dating site.

My secondary sex characteristics bring all the girls to the yard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe the guys on Okcupid are just below avg. Most of my male friends don't use dating sites as they think it is beneath them.

My view is that attractive men probably don't want to use a dating site.
    Your view is wrong. My friend Kristi goes on lots of dates with attractive men she meets through dating sites, and certainly I've met a lot of very good looking women on OKC.

Your view is wrong. My friend Kristi goes on lots of dates with attractive men she meets through dating sites, and certainly I've met a lot of very good looking women on OKC.
    Well look at the pictures they gave us in the article. Those men look below average to me...

10+ Year Old Account
    80% of men are below average looking.

Most of the women took part in that test failed at mathematics and how "average" works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Well look at the pictures they gave us in the article. Those men look below average to me...
    Personally, I thought they looked fine, but I'm not gay. Either way, the images they showed were rated "significantly below average," so it's not a good basis to make your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    On the contrary, I think people don't think about money in relationships near enough, then they're shocked when it's a problem in a relationship down the road. Picking a partner with consideration towards their likely future earnings and the stability of those earnings is an entirely sensible approach to relationships. Ignoring earnings potential and job security and hoping that the strength of the relationship will get you through any problems that arise is a recipe for failures.
    I don't know, I read a survey about debt and dating this morning in the morningpaper, 75% thinks debt, or debt levels are an important factor, even higher % among girls and women. In Sweden that is.

75% would stop dating someone in an early stage if they learned to know about "hidden debts" whatever that means
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I don't know, I read a survey about debt and dating this morning in the morningpaper, 75% thinks debt, or debt levels are an important factor, even higher % among girls and women. In Sweden that is.

75% would stop dating someone in an early stage if they learned to know about "hidden debts" whatever that means
    Yeah, I guess with how hard I've worked not to incur big debts, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for someone else's massive debt, it's true.

Yeah, I guess with how hard I've worked not to incur big debts, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for someone else's massive debt, it's true.
    Yeah, and depending on the debt it could prove their are irresponsible. I know I couldn't date someone with an asston of credit card debt.

Now, mortgages and student loans are another story...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, and depending on the debt it could prove their are irresponsible. I know I couldn't date someone with an asston of credit card debt.

Now, mortgages and student loans are another story...
    Depends a bit on the size of the student loans and what they were for. If I found out they used their student loans to be able to live without working while doing a double major in underwater basket weaving and 18th century Nepalese literature with a masters in paranormal phenomena, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that.

If they were working while in school and just took enough student loans to help them get that engineering or computer science or biochem degree or something, I'd be totally OK with that.

Depends a bit on the size of the student loans and what they were for. If I found out they used their student loans to be able to live without working while doing a double major in underwater basket weaving and 18th century Nepalese literature with a masters in paranormal phenomena, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that.
    Touche. I agree with that.