Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Found this on Reddit. Found it bizarre. Thought I'd share.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/yo...online-dating/
    That applies to women too. 80% of them are average looking, and even more if you put them to take their make up off.

The thing that boggled my mind about the study was that 80% of men being "below average" is a mathematical impossibility.

There's something going on, but all I can get from the article is "fgsfdsa?"
    The something going on is that people's opinions have absolutely nothing to do with mathematics or what is actually possible.

Yeah but what makes this statistic odd is that it's not self-analysis.

It's not 60% of people thinking they're smarter than average. It's not 80% of drivers thinking they're above average.

It's a group thinking 80% of ANOTHER group is below average.
    How is self-analysis relevant to whether this statistic is 'odd' or not?

All 3 of your examples are people thinking: something. Whether their opinion is about themselves or someone/thing else is irrelevant. Their own personallity still affects their resulting opinion. Just in different directions (self = inflated to good, others = inflated to bad). Drivers thinking they're better than 80% of drivers = woman thinking 80% of men are below average. Both are similarly inflated to protect the owners of the thoughts own ego.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-14 at 10:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    God Bakis, you take a lot of shirtless pictures of yourself.
    Hey, msot of the pics on Facebook are from summer times, you know we do have summer here as well!! Ignorant quazi-murrican
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Hey, msot of the pics on Facebook are from summer times, you know we do have summer here as well!! Ignorant quazi-murrican
    Quasi-American? Haha, aren't y'all supposed to put on a layer of blubber for the winter, Svenska?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    You can barely see anything on the avatars on mmo-champion. :<
    You need to upload them on Imgur so MMO-C won't cut the quality, even if the avatar is bellow 20kb(It should be for everyone!), MMO-C will still cut quality, dunno why.

And to remain on topic! XD

On social websites, I think everyone already knows that the picture is what atracts other people to talk to you and engage in a social conversation. I know that even in "real life", looks is pretty important but over time, it doesn't really matter because people won't care much about that, but the Internet, people will, because they want a certain group or a certain type of person, but that's how I think it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Quasi-American? Haha, aren't y'all supposed to put on a layer of blubber for the winter, Svenska?
    I use my Bally shoes with sheep wool inside cladding and a Canada Goose jacket, I'm all set
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    But this is actually good for men. If 80% of men are all banded in a very narrow "below average" group the playing field is more even, as the disparity between an ugly guy and an above average guy is much lower.
    Good grief.

No dude, it just means that most women are only physically attracted to the VERY TOP PERCENT of guys, and believe that an average looking guy is not pleasing. Unless you are in that top percent, it's not good for you.

But guess what? If you were in that top percent, a normal distro is great for you too.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Someone needs to point out that most men think 80% of women aren't *that* hot either :S
    If a study found that men found less than half of women attractive, it would be the top public interest story on CNN and editorialized heavily in the Washington times. The media would be blamed, and there would be a big hubub.

Go ahead and actually read the article. Under "male appraisals of female attractiveness", there was a damned bell curve which is exactly what you would expect. The "female appraisals of male attractiveness" is the one that is skewed and (yes) inaccurate.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most people (male and female) are average looking, by the definition of average. Didn't need a poll to tell me that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They actually address the Magazine thing.

This is a chart they put together of male ratings of female attractiveness.

[img]http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/your_looks_and_inbox/Male-Attractiveness-Ratings.png[img]
    That bell curve needs a nipple....

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Most people (male and female) are average looking, by the definition of average. Didn't need a poll to tell me that.
    That's not what the article says. But you didn't click, so it's not like you'd know.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Shallow wenches.

I think it has a lot to do with the media, Women are given a very unrealistic expectation of what men should look like.

They expect us to look like this:

/snip pic

When in reality we look more like this:

/snip pic
    To be fair it's the same if not worse for women.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfly View Post
    It's quite retarded, and this just tells us that women has TOO HIGH expectations of men.

How many men in the world is above average looking? 50% of them
    How many is below average? 50% of them. It's simple.
    Isn't that more median? Average can be skewed either way with a few MUCH high numbers on one side.

Anyway, this isn't that surprising. Everyone wants something that is more "rare" and to everyone "rare" means average.

80% of men on okcupid, yeah I'd say that's about right. I'd also say that about the women too, if we wanna play both sides.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

as a lady I've got to admit that number seems about right. sorry boys :/ most of you really just aren't that visually stunning especially compared to women. on the bright side physical beauty (at least in the face) plays a much smaller role for us in what attracts us so you don't really have to worry about it. there may not be a large number of gorgeous guys but its not expected of you to be anyway. for us, plain guys are still good looking.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    That's not what the article says. But you didn't click, so it's not like you'd know.
    The article is about how attractive people think you are based on your pictures online. And no I didn't really read it because it was fucking pointless which is exactly the point I was getting across in my post.

Lawl, dating sites.

Something tells me men on that site think the same about the women on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Something tells me men on that site think the same about the women on it.
    Something tells me you didn't read the article, nor do you use the site. I'm on OK Cupid, and I think probably roughly half the women on the site are above average looking, which other men on the site seem to roughly agree with.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

one persons below average is another persons above average.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    This just goes to prove that most women are to into looks and will either end up with a divorce after they marry, or become a lesbian.

I like generalizations.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven