Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    80% are below average.

But you're missing out all the numbers between 9 and 99 except 50.

I am not missing out anything. Those numbers are imaginary data from a "rate this mans looks on a scale from 1 to 100" experiment. The subjects are then given 10 pictures and are asked to rank them. If all test subjects gave rankings like what I said (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 50, 100 (that means, 8 bad looking, one 'meh' and one perfect)), then 80% of those men are below average looking. If those men were picked from a statistically valid pool of men, then one could infer that 80% of all men are below average looking.

There is nothing wrong with having 80% of a population below average in some property. Another example is this: say there is a group of six people and five of them earn 20 000$ pr year, while the last one earns 100 000$. What is the average income among those people, and how many % are below that average?

Quote Originally Posted by gneugen View Post
    See how your concept of "average" could easily be wrong?
    It is not wrong though. Misleading, maybe, but that is only if you do not know what the average is
    A lot of people do confuse the median and the average though, and it is not really that weird
    Last edited by guff; 2012-11-15 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guff View Post
    I am not missing out anything.
    Yes, you are. You're confusing the average of the maximum and minimum with the average of all the values.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 1/6/7 | TPR: 0.5/3.5/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver | Avatar by Hasana-chan

That statement seems to contradict itself quite heavily (if we go for big enough sample size to equal average from sample = general average).

Around 40-49% of men should look below average, and around 40-49% above average, the rest should be average.

If 80% look "below average", than the average is caulculated too highly and should be lower.

So I don't really get the point of the statement, to be honest.

I see a lot of not very attractive women aswell and don't make a fuzz about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    If 80% look "below average", than the average is caulculated too highly and should be lower.
    Or the sample of the entire population excludes a large amount of above average males.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 1/6/7 | TPR: 0.5/3.5/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver | Avatar by Hasana-chan

pff...are you kidding? the most common thing i hear from women is:

'i really like you but i already have a relationship...i wish it wasn't the case' or something similar in spirit

why? because they will get into a relationship with anyone who isn't bad looking or retarded and is capable of approaching them in the right manner...

raise your standards ladies ffs...
    The constructive troll!

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    That statement seems to contradict itself quite heavily (if we go for big enough sample size to equal average from sample = general average).

Around 40-49% of men should look below average, and around 40-49% above average, the rest should be average.

So I don't really get the point of the statement, to be honest.

I see a lot of not very attractive women aswell and don't make a fuzz about it.
    Well they said 80% off the men on that site look below average. Not 80% of the men in the world.

Maybe OKCupid just has a ton of ugly men. LOL

Last edited by Purlina; 2012-11-15 at 09:42 PM.

My GF said im hot so I don't care.

Its just modern culture, we see pictures of Brad Pitt and automatically everyone must look like him or you're an ugly freak of nature.

Get over it. Humans are ugly. We look pretty at a distance, but get close up with someone else and you will notice they're a lot less attractive than you though.

I am not surprised. You can thank the media for this.

100% of the same women that rated that way believes men with $$$ are 100% way above average looking.

This is kind of distressing if you don't make 6 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

This makes me curious if it works the same way with Lesbians and Gay men.
    Last edited by Puck; 2012-11-16 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    This makes me curious if it works the same was with Lesbians and Gay men.
    I won't judge a person depending on what car they have.

I think it's kinda, a not so good thing, if you start liking someone or disliking too because of the car they have, especially since people can't have the type of cars they want considering cars are pretty expensive but that's just me and my opinions are usually different from the rest of the "normal" opinions.

Call the media! This just in... Women dont give a shit about how you look or your personality. They care primarily about how much money you have and how much of that they can take when they divorce you. The more material possessions you have the quicker they can get a free ride and not have to do any work.... THIS IS NEWS!

Oh wait.. Its been this way since the dawn of time? Women are shallow and generally selfish creatures that see things at face value and nothing more? Stop the presses. Move on.

Infracted for bashing.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-16 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Call the media! This just in... Women dont give a shit about how you look or your personality. They care primarily about how much money you have and how much of that they can take when they divorce you. The more material possessions you have the quicker they can get a free ride and not have to do any work.... THIS IS NEWS!

Oh wait.. Its been this way since the dawn of time? Women are shallow and generally selfish creatures that see things at face value and nothing more? Stop the presses. Move on.
    It's a two way street. It's rather arrogant to assume men don't think along similar lines when looking for a potential mate.

Expect good looking men, but we're sexist when we expect the same from them. Wasn't it looking for a mate that would produce strong offspring with your DNA? Now its whos got the most fake breasts, the biggest penis, and the most money.

Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Or because men goes on the website to find a partner, and women to wallow in their egos.
    DING!DING!DING! We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can we just change the thread name to this and /thread? B/c it is amazingly insightful and for a large part bang on true.
    Gravath, you're wise and have good vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

What I can't understand is why men try to please such women. Yeah, money can make it easier for you to attract a woman. But why would you use such a method, if you're guaranteed to end up with a shallow and dumb excuse of a human being?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    What I can't understand is why men try to please such women. Yeah, money can make it easier for you to attract a woman. But why would you use such a method, if you're guaranteed to end up with a shallow and dumb excuse of a human being?
    I think most women actually do this, if on a subconscious level.

Reminds me of this from Dylan Moran.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    well....... most attractive men dont need OKC

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Happy Hunting! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ