Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

OKCupid study shows women say 80% of men are "below average" looking

Found this on Reddit. Found it bizarre. Thought I'd share.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/yo...online-dating/

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet we still love men! So it is not all about the looks <3

Well, if that is the case, then I don't want to hear women bitching about the pressure to look good by men, because clearly they are as vapid and shallow as us.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    It's quite retarded, and this just tells us that women has TOO HIGH expectations of men.

How many men in the world is above average looking? 50% of them
    How many is below average? 50% of them. It's simple.

I hope at least some women will figure this out and maybe say to themselves "Ohh, maybe my expectations are too high"

Or at least know how "average" works :3

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Well, if that is the case, then I don't want to hear women bitching about the pressure to look good by men, because clearly they are as vapid and shallow as us.
    The thing that boggled my mind about the study was that 80% of men being "below average" is a mathematical impossibility.

There's something going on, but all I can get from the article is "fgsfdsa?"

80% are below average? Jesus the top 20% must really bring the average up lol. Anyway a guy expects a good looking girl to look like a super model, same for woman. Thats how it works tbh:P

Women are just as shallow as men. I thought this was common knowledge at this point.

There's a message in here somewhere about how women have been complaining about how magazines portray an idealistic view of how they should look, but I don't know what it is.

On a more serious note, can we all not just admit that the vast majority of us care at least somewhat about how people look?

I'm not saying it's the most important. I'm not saying most people base decisions/opinions of others just on physical appearance, but I don't think I'm out of line when I say that most of us like it when another person is "good looking" (whatever that may mean to you personally).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The thing that boggled my mind about the study was that 80% of men being "below average" is a mathematical impossibility.
    Easy to solve:

*80% of the men on OKCupid are below average looking (from the OKCupid stats)
    *50% of all men are below average looking (the definition of average)
    => There exists a population without a profile on OKCupid that are above average looking. If they signed up on OKCupid, then the percentage in the first premise would drop (until either more above average looking men are signed up than below average, or the entire world is signed up to OKCupid).

Which is kind of obvious.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't look at the link now, but I suspect its an old one from the very awesome OKTrends blog. I haven't seen them post anything new since they sold to Match.com, sadly.

It was a very interesting blog.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    There's a message in here somewhere about how women have been complaining about how magazines portray an idealistic view of how they should look, but I don't know what it is.

On a more serious note, can we all not just admit that the vast majority of us care at least somewhat about how people look?

I'm not saying it's the most important. I'm not saying most people base decisions/opinions of others just on physical appearance, but I don't think I'm out of line when I say that most of us like it when another person is "good looking" (whatever that may mean to you personally).
    They actually address the Magazine thing.

This is a chart they put together of male ratings of female attractiveness.

It's a bell curve. That's pretty much exactly what you'd expect to find in nature.

So, at least on the part of men, women aren't really judged as attractive/ugly based on unattainable Hollywood standards.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Easy to solve:

*80% of the men on OKCupid are below average looking (from the OKCupid stats)
    *50% of all men are below average looking (the definition of average)
    => There exists a population without a profile on OKCupid that are above average looking. If they signed up on OKCupid, then the percentage in the first premise would drop (until either more above average looking men are signed up than below average, or the entire world is signed up to OKCupid).

Which is kind of obvious.
    That makes little to no sense.

Why would an almost perfect distribution of women sign up for OKCupid but almost only unattractive men?

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I can't look at the link now, but I suspect its an old one from the very awesome OKTrends blog. I haven't seen them post anything new since they sold to Match.com, sadly.

It was a very interesting blog.
    It is from 2009.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    17th November 2009.

Old news is old, but still relevant for discussion?
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not saying 80% of men are below average, it's saying that women will rate 80% of men that way.

If you show a group of women a thousand pictures of men and have them rate them as "above average" "average" and "below average" and all the women pick "below average" every time. Then you could say 100% of the men scored as "below average" which is a mathematical truth (albeit silly) and quite a bit different then the logically absurd claim that all men are below average.

17th November 2009.

Old news is old, but still relevant for discussion?
    Sure, I wasn't trying to say folks couldn't discuss, just that I love/miss that blog

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    That makes little to no sense. Why would an almost perfect distribution of women sign up for OKCupid but almost only unattractive men?
    Pass, but it's at least as flawed as the whole "women are mentally unstable" answer.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

It's a bell curve. That's pretty much exactly what you'd expect to find in nature.

So, at least on the part of men, women aren't really judged as attractive/ugly based on unattainable Hollywood standards.
    I know, I was inferring more about what people say/how they say it. As in the complaint that pretty pictures try to present a generally unattainable image and it's demeaning is a bit silly when pretty much everyone to some degree or another does care about appearances.
    Well, that and you're complaining about a celebrity glam magazine, which is worthy of no other response ever other than "Meh"

Pass, but it's at least as flawed as the whole "women are mentally unstable" answer.
    Who said women are mentally unstable?

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Women are just as shallow as men. I thought this was common knowledge at this point.
    Men do not believe 80% of women are below average in looks, however. Women believe that about men, not the other way around.

TBH I'm a dude, and I'm not afraid to say whether or not a person is attractive looking.

It's in our nature to appreciate beauty when we see it, and I can for one tell you, the 4 guys they used on that article, are average/below average to me lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found this on Reddit. Found it bizarre. Thought I'd share.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/yo...online-dating/
    That's rather odd, because OK Cupid told me I'm better than average looking based on the reactions of women to my profile, but I'm pretty damn sure I'm in the average to below average range. I'm tall and not fat (maybe slightly overweight, but no gut), but I've got a big nose, and I can't grow a five o' clock shadow to save my life. So either OK Cupid is lying to me, or they're lying to everyone.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    TBH I'm a dude, and I'm not afraid to say whether or not a person is attractive looking.

It's in our nature to appreciate beauty when we see it, and I can for one tell you, the 4 guys they used on that article, are average/below average to me lol.
    They didn't use just 4 guys. They used samples of hundreds. The 4 they showed were just representative of their groups.