1. #1

    Quesiton about elegon

    So we downed elegon last week after 2 nights of wiping. We seem to have a firm grasp on everything but our mage is having trouble getting his energy charge down by himself sometimes. He has to have help each time to kill it phase 2. I've gone over the logs and it seems like he just spams fireball on them hoping for a crit. It seems like that is a bad idea since the cast time on fireball is so long. Would him casting scorch on it until he gets a pyro proc be a better idea?

    Can any other mages offer up any tips for what they do to kill each orb?



    Apparently I'm not allowed to link our logs because this is a new account. But the logs show him using a total of 5 pyros, 22 fireballs, and 6 inferno blasts on the 10 orbs that we killed.

  2. #2
    Grunt Siltar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Yucca Valley, Ca
    Posts
    18
    I have the same issue sometimes on orbs but only if my evocate buff falls off, I dont use scorch but if I see it getting close I was cast a fire blast since its instant and will crit. I dont use scorch at all so I would suggest making sure the he doesnt have his evocate buff fall off at all. Not sure about how close you guys get to enrage timer but as we dont have any issues with it if I have a HU proc before orbs I will just wait the couple of seconds for the orbs to come out and FB then Pyro!

  3. #3
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,224
    What I do is during waves 3/4 on sparks, I save CDs for them as well as any pyro blast procs. I lose DPS, but overall the pyro will help me get the next orb down. Use scorch to fish for it if you need too, and I always have our warrior tank hit mine if I need the extra help (though with my gear now, it is normally not as much of an issue). Another mage in our first kill a couple weeks ago was having issues too, we had him spec into PoM which helped him too, but obviously you can't scorch fish with that.
    Battletag: Rhaegas#1141
    Armory: Valefaran
    "When you're a Mage you're a Mage all the way from your first Pyroblast 'till WoW's last dying day"

  4. #4
    I do run scorch in that fight, simply to aid me in procing pyroblast inbetween sparks by actually hitting the boss and fishing for HU procs to use IB on. Then fish for another HU ... I hardly every do not get atleast a HS, either running off the spark or of Elegon, the difference with FB vs Scors is 2:3 casts which dont seem like a huge thing but it made getting down the spark more reliable more consistant for me.

    Then the trick (I think) is to get FB/!PB off just as the sparks spawn, FB on elegon, !PB on the spark... Get the dot rolling using it to its fullest.

  5. #5
    Have your tank helping him. Fire mages are crit dependant and RNG is a harsh mistress. Saving CD's for that isn't a good idea IMO. The lower you can get him before last phase the better for your healers. IF it's about to hit yeah, gotta do everythng not to fail obviously. This will improve as mages gear improve, for now I'm guessing his gear is kinda bad (considering you just downed elegon).

    We're rolling with 2 fire mages. When we first progressed we've had both tanks assigned to help them. Now as we're geared it's not an issue anymore (although tanks can solo them now, so we just keep nuking boss for more juice).

    Hope this helped.

    PS: Don't let him scorch, it's a dps loss.

  6. #6
    I'm a fire mage myself and we downed Elegon three times now.

    What I do is:

    1. Use Rune of power on this fight, because if invocation runs out in P2 you're completely lost. Rune of Power recast is pretty fast.
    2. Save your HS procs for the sparks. Don't throw any pyros at the boss. Don't use combustion in this phase. Combustion isn't worth it here, because if the pillars go up and combustion is not all the way through it will just be removed and will also be a damage loss. So if the sparks spawn, throw an instant pyro at the spark. If it crits you have already won and if it didn't you at least had an instant cast which saved a lot of time. Damage on the boss itself isn't that important when you're killing sparks. The most important thing is to get a predefined number of sparks down and nuke the boss during the next spark. That will be the biggest DPS increase no matter what you do before. I know this does not do the most DPS, but it was the savest way for our raid.
    3. Stand exactly on the edge so you only need to jump to remove stacks. So once the sparks spawn jump and after the jump use instant pyro. Make sure the center of your rune of power is inside the circle, otherwise you will not get the rune of power buff. You can test this before pulling the boss.

    Elegon is a pretty nasty boss. I think it's nearly the hardest boss in normal mode progression (at least for us so far). So don't worry if you spend some time on it.

  7. #7
    I have the same problems, and it's frustrating. If you have a pyro and Heating Up in reserve then the Spark can die in 1-2 globals, but then there are other times when I don't crit for the whole duration of the Spark's journey, making it impossible to kill.

    We had to have the tank help me, which is honestly embarrassing. We have offspec healers who are more reliable at killing the Sparks than I have been.

  8. #8
    spec arcane. 7 sparks in a row are easy now

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I'm a fire mage myself and we downed Elegon three times now.

    What I do is:

    1. Use Rune of power on this fight, because if invocation runs out in P2 you're completely lost. Rune of Power recast is pretty fast.
    We discussed this last night. Our firemage uses RoP and i as frost use Invo. I think Invo is better. As P2 starts u can allways cast Invo and get the buff before the first orb come. Invos buff is 10% higher which, in my opinion, helps a lot.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    We discussed this last night. Our firemage uses RoP and i as frost use Invo. I think Invo is better. As P2 starts u can allways cast Invo and get the buff before the first orb come. Invos buff is 10% higher which, in my opinion, helps a lot.
    It's whatever works for you really though isn't it? I find RoP safer because when although there seems to be plenty of time to get closer and be ready for the first wave on the first phase 2, I find that the second phase 2 can be a biit more of a rush and RoP is just safer. I am usually on one of the Energy charges furthest away so getting to postion takes fractionly longer.

  11. #11
    the first and second sparks he should have no trouble with seeing that they move super slow. If he is having difficulty with the 3rd and 4th however try saving a pyro that he gets from normally dpsing the first 2 sparks/boss and holding it for the 3rd and fourth. So proc a pyro, hold it till orb spawns, start casting fireball followed by instant pyro then if u get a HU inferno blast pyro. I do this for both the orbs and have yet to have a problem with them. Ideally he will have both a HU and Pyro ready for when the orb spawns

  12. #12
    Brewmaster Kiry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,255
    As frost I was able to get all 4 sets of my orbs down on my own. You can just about predict the procs of brain freeze and icy. Holding the Frost orb until the 4th orb.
    Now that I've switched to fire, I'm curious about how well it'll go. I'm a bit concerned because the rng nature of fire is not as "predictable" as frost.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

  13. #13
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    As frost I was able to get all 4 sets of my orbs down on my own. You can just about predict the procs of brain freeze and icy. Holding the Frost orb until the 4th orb.
    Now that I've switched to fire, I'm curious about how well it'll go. I'm a bit concerned because the rng nature of fire is not as "predictable" as frost.
    Yeah Frost is a LOT easier. I went frost on our first downing attempt just go get him down and it was a joke.
    Battletag: Rhaegas#1141
    Armory: Valefaran
    "When you're a Mage you're a Mage all the way from your first Pyroblast 'till WoW's last dying day"

  14. #14
    I found Frost a lot more effective on Tsulong for similar reasons.
    What is it with Cloud Serpents and summoning adds?

  15. #15
    Killed Elegon today for the first time as arcane. I had a lot of problems placing the Rune, several times I didn't receive the bonus no matter how many times I recasted the rune, so I did the fight with Incanter's Ward, and no issues.

    As arcane I stack charges casting on elegon, then triple barrage when sparks appear. Maybe the same is possible for fire, cast on Elegon to get a Pyro proc but keep it for the spark. The tanks can also help the two players with more problems taking down the sparks.

  16. #16
    The Rune will only work on either the energy vortex or the outside but not both, depending on which it has the most area in. Your cursor will jump around near the edge which probably isn't intended but makes figuring out which you are going to get easier.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The Rune will only work on either the energy vortex or the outside but not both, depending on which it has the most area in. Your cursor will jump around near the edge which probably isn't intended but makes figuring out which you are going to get easier.
    ^^ This ^^

    I had quite alot of problems doing Heroic Elegon with Rune, but eventually got it 'sort of' ok on the kill with a couple re-casts. Not ideal, but certainly much better than keeping Invoc up. Guess it's just practice when you finally learn what the problem is!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoros View Post
    Killed Elegon today for the first time as arcane. I had a lot of problems placing the Rune, several times I didn't receive the bonus no matter how many times I recasted the rune, so I did the fight with Incanter's Ward, and no issues.

    As arcane I stack charges casting on elegon, then triple barrage when sparks appear. Maybe the same is possible for fire, cast on Elegon to get a Pyro proc but keep it for the spark. The tanks can also help the two players with more problems taking down the sparks.
    Nub question I'm sure, but what do you mean by "triple barrage"?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikilos View Post
    Nub question I'm sure, but what do you mean by "triple barrage"?
    If you cast Barrage just as they spawn it will cleave onto several adds (provided you have charges).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •