Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My understanding is that HFCS has delayed satiety, so more of it gets consumed in a sitting.

    I still wouldn't blame it for societies ills when it comes to obesity. I'd blame it on people that are too fucking stupid to read labels and too fucking lazy to get off the couch.
    nope, HFCS and sugar are chemically the same thing

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    nope, HFCS and sugar are chemically the same thing
    Asserting something doesn't make it so. HFCS has a combinations of sugars in it; saying that it's "the same thing" as sugar is completely incoherent.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Asserting something doesn't make it so. HFCS has a combinations of sugars in it; saying that it's "the same thing" as sugar is completely incoherent.
    sugar is 50/50 glucose fructose, HFCS is usually 40/60 glucose fructose, sometimes less fructose

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    It's not so much that HFCS is much worse for you than sugar, it's mostly that it's in nearly everything, and in abundance to boot.
    Pretty much. Go to the grocery store and find a cheap loaf of bread (the house brand will probably do). HFCS will be second or third on the ingredients list after flour and maybe water.

  5. #25
    Table sugar isn't really any better or worse than HFCS. Your body's metabolism deal with them both in practically the same way, resulting in glucose and eventually "energy". Therefore, if the amounts of HFCS and table sugar are about the same, there really isn't a difference. That being said, there are also a lot of nasty preservatives in tea that you would buy from a store, so it's a safe bet that home-made tea sweetened with table sugar is "better" for you in the long run.

    On the topic of "does it cause an insulin reaction" it does indeed. The syrup will lead to high blood glucose levels, just as table sugar does, and insulin will still be released to get that sugar out of your blood and into (mostly) your muscles.

    source: biology student

    EDIT: I'd also like to add that an insulin response is in no way a bad thing. It's something that your body naturally does and is, in fact, necessary. It's the key to getting potential energy, as glucose, into your muscles.
    Last edited by Reformd; 2012-11-15 at 02:12 AM.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    sugar is 50/50 glucose fructose, HFCS is usually 40/60 glucose fructose, sometimes less fructose
    You realize that those are all sugars, right? That saying, "sugar is X/X" doesn't make sense?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You realize that those are all sugars, right? That saying, "sugar is X/X" doesn't make sense?
    when people say sugar they are talking about table sugar which is sucrose which like i said is 50/50 glucose/fructose

  8. #28
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    They aren't chemically identical. In addition, there are countless studies that shows the body processes them differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    when people say sugar they are talking about table sugar which is sucrose which like i said is 50/50 glucose/fructose
    Sucrose is a disaccharide. That's quite different than just mixing glucose and fructose together in even amounts.

  10. #30
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My understanding is that HFCS has delayed satiety, so more of it gets consumed in a sitting.

    I still wouldn't blame it for societies ills when it comes to obesity. I'd blame it on people that are too fucking stupid to read labels and too fucking lazy to get off the couch.
    Actually that isn't the case, in that study I linked in that earlier post, the mice had significantly less HFCS and gained significantly more weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  11. #31
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,161
    I much prefer natural sugar, whether it's in fruit or is brown cane sugar to any alternative.

    Though I've done my best to take it as hardcore out of my diet as possible. (Have lost 21 pounds the past few months!!)
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Actually that isn't the case, in that study I linked in that earlier post, the mice had significantly less HFCS and gained significantly more weight.
    Yeah, I'm wrong about the satiety effect. Not sure where I got that from. Here's a couple studies for anyone that would like to read more about how I was wrong:

    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/116.short
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/5/1354.short

  13. #33
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    Yeah dude, this shit about HFCS is the reason I cut out all full-cal pop from my diet (except Mtn Dew Throwback on occasion).
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah dude, this shit about HFCS is the reason I cut out all full-cal pop from my diet (except Mtn Dew Throwback on occasion).
    MtnDew is made with cane sugar though not HFCS

  15. #35
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    MtnDew is made with cane sugar though not HFCS
    In the states, "normal" Mtn Dew is made with HFCS. Mtn Dew Throwback is made with sugar. I drink throwback whenever I want a full sugar pop because sugar isn't as bad for you as HFCS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    In the states, "normal" Mtn Dew is made with HFCS. Mtn Dew Throwback is made with sugar. I drink throwback whenever I want a full sugar pop because sugar isn't as bad for you as HFCS.
    depends HFCS has a higher sweet content so they can use less of it, so there is less grams of sugar and less calories for the same amount of sweetness.

  17. #37
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    depends HFCS has a higher sweet content so they can use less of it, so there is less grams of sugar and less calories for the same amount of sweetness.
    According to studies, laboratory mice get fatter off less HFCS than sugar. This is because sugar is natural and your body knows exactly how to process it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah dude, this shit about HFCS is the reason I cut out all full-cal pop from my diet (except Mtn Dew Throwback on occasion).
    I only enjoy diet sodas anyway, so this is an easy one for me...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    According to studies, laboratory mice get fatter off less HFCS than sugar. This is because sugar is natural and your body knows exactly how to process it.
    to your body Cane sugar and HFCS look the same.

  20. #40
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    23,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    to your body Cane sugar and HFCS look the same.
    Scientific studies say otherwise. Repeating the same corn growers' propaganda over and over doesn't make it true.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I only enjoy diet sodas anyway, so this is an easy one for me...
    Diet Pepsi and Diet Mtn Dew are the two mains for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •