I am conducting a research on gender-bending in GW2 for my Game Culture class. I have prepared a few questions on the topic and I hope you will be willing to answer them. I made an online survey to make it more convenient for people who would rather avoid participating in an open forum discussion. However, since I'm a new user, I can't post links or send PMs so if any mod reads this - I would like to ask for permission.
I will also post the questions here and we will hopefully get some discussion going.
The overall idea is to not only gather reasons for why players gender-bend (and how many do it) but also to get a wider picture of the whole phenomenon. I, myself, am a female who always prefer to play as males and it is interesting to give the reasons a bigger thought.
ALSO! If you are someone who doesn't gender-bend, please share on why you do not do that.
I will not use the data, or your posts, outside of my term paper. It will not be published anywhere. No user information, such as user names, will be mentioned in the paper.
Ok, this introduction got a big long, onto the questions!
Here are the questions (without the what is your gender/age ones) from the survey:
1. Why do you play as a character of the opposite gender?
2. Does it influence/change your gaming experience? How? (i.e. social aspects, aesthetics, makes the game easier, etc.)
3. Do you identify with your character? How?
4. Have you done gender-bending before? In what games?
5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly? For example, are the graphics and designs more attractive than in other games?
6. Do you enjoy playing as the opposite gender in single-player games?
7. Do you admit to your real gender while interacting with other players?
8. Would you pose as someone of the opposite gender outside games?