Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A tribunal like League has for mmo-champ

I think the time has come to where we the posters should be able to take others to the tribunal to review their cases.

How this would work is if a few people report someone, it goes into the tribunal and other posters review it. If they find what the reported person did dis-tasteful they vote him or her to be sent to the mods for further review.

Anything thoughts? Opinions?
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsure this would be a good idea, would leave an open flaw of humanity. This thread is made because of actions within other threads, of course understandable how people view life, but there's many more points. Don't think letting other players whom doesn't staff to the site decide the future of one account, that is why we have moderators. Of course maybe more might be needed, but that is their choice.

A tribunal leaves open for a targetted hunt on accounts, humanity is spiteful towards what they don't like. If this idea was to work, then it should be a selected and dynamic tribunal, meaning a group would be selected to overview 2-5 cases and then they wouldn't be selected for another 2-3 months to avoid personal vendettas and the likes.

But again, opening a post towards the process of the staff of this site seems dodgy too, might with best intentions but I have a feeling that you (OP) is just frustrated about previous actions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Please don't bring other threads into this. I would like to stay on topic.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, League of Legends is quite different in scope and interaction. There aren't millions of threads created every day on mmo-c, the tribunal is there because it is impractical to moderate the number of matches that go on any given day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO.

The tribunal in League is the most putrid of all ideas ive ever seen in a game. I know MMOC's community is a lightyear ahead of LoL's but its still just a horrible system, anonimity is not a good enough qualification to judge people. The fact that it works horribly in league is proof enough.
    What would you change about the League tribunal to make it more mmo-champ friendly? As suggested above i support the only a few cases a month thing. I also believe when you take on a tribunal case the person being reported shouldn't be known to keep it as unbiased as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    Please don't bring other threads into this. I would like to stay on topic.
    But I was on topic I must add, nothing broke topic, I just added what I have observed with it. But again, tribunal would as pointed out, be a weak feature.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But I was on topic I must add, nothing broke topic, I just added what I have observed with it. But again, tribunal would as pointed out, be a weak feature.
    I understand that. But please leave observations from other topics out of the thread. It wasn't allowed in the other thread (hence the lock) so don't do it here.

I thought it worked pretty well in League, Maybe your on the receiving side of it =P

I could see some posters getting serious Vacation time though. Jay something something warlock

Quote Originally Posted by 08nolanni View Post
    I thought it worked pretty well in League, Maybe your on the receiving side of it =P

I could see some posters getting serious Vacation time though. Jay something something warlock
    I thought it worked too. Try to avoid naming and shaming. I would like to keep this discussion going. We are not on a witch hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Well if they did want it in, Ide say that the posters get zero reward from it. Not even a forum medal or something, to make sure that only people who genuinly care would use it.
    Also the posters who rule in favour of a ban should be required to write a decent paragraph.
    Then it should all be up to mods to decide. And the bans should be fully explained with a name of the mod who ruled in favour of the ban.

Theres not alot of bans per day im assuming so I can see this being feasible.

Ide still just rather leave it up to the mods anyway, I know a lot of the times they can be biast or threatening but its better than average posters imo.
    Thanks for the insight. I agree with everything you said. The people viewing the case would have no say in punishment but rather Yes this needs to be looked into or No there is nothing wrong here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that. But please leave observations from other topics out of the thread. It wasn't allowed in the other thread (hence the lock) so don't do it here.
    Well, as I have pointed out before, we are allowed opinions. And a tribunal would just be a fragile idea, unless one would try with that I said in the first post here, have people selected for a few cases, but of course it has to be active people. That leaves out people whom just AFK on MMO-C. You should be active poster to be able to be selected, and then you would have a set amont of down time after.

But as I have observed during my time on this forum is, we aren't ready for such an idea. The intentions are good, but I would fear the day an actiive account of a mainly troll gets selected. This would leave the tribunal actions for the cases said account is participating in questionable, then you would have to have selected account with a ranking so avoid trolls joining in on the tribunal. This'll just end up being complicated for a forum. MMO-Champion is doing an okay job for the people they are, and they manage to keep afloat.

They give us actions that we can manage ourselves, such as ignoring a topic or leaving it when it turns for the worse. If people we're to follow this, it'll be even easier to manage. They could add a function called "Ignore Posts From Selected Account", and then it should have a limit of accounts. Sorry, but you can't ignore the whole community if they say something you like, hence the part of having a limit.

And not derailing topic, but was locked due to selected peoples vendetta on one person. The discussion was okay, people whom hated the OP was just on a hunt and ruined the thread

I thought it worked too. Try to avoid naming and shaming. I would like to keep this discussion going. We are not on a witch hunt.
    Hmm I thought was I subtle enough. Oh well.

As others have said, it does encourage Witch Hunts and unless their was a significant delay between tribunals it wouldn't work.

Overly complicated system that does nothing more than what mods already do quicker and easier.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

The people viewing the case would have no say in punishment but rather Yes this needs to be looked into or No there is nothing wrong here.
    Then you're basically adding a step to the current process that would pretty much only encourage witch hunts while adding nothing beneficial. If moderators still have last say on everything that goes through, how is that different enough from the way things work now?

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Deleted
    Reason why it (usually) works in League and wouldn't work on MMO-Champion:

League deals with cases you (most likely) have no personal interest in. You don't know and have no opinion about player X before you see his tribunal case. You don't even know who player X is.

Your proposed "MMO-Champion tribunal" would deal with cases where the same people voting on a case would also be (likely) emotionally invested in the topic - just think election threads (or abortion threads, or "man shoots burglar" threads, or "policeman kills teenager" threads, or any other <controversial action here> thread).
    It's possible (nay, likely) that the system you propose would simply turn into a way of suppressing the less popular opinion - which would lead to us having to police the Tribunal's actions instead of simply looking through the thread itself.

Overall, I don't think it's a system that could be effective in the environment of a discussion forum.

The mod's workload isn't high enough to need such a system. If a post violates the rules, report it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's unnecessary. If the mods are going to have a final say anyways then why waste the time with what you're suggesting? The best thing users can do is to report posts that are bad and not quote them or get involved in trolling or flaming back. If someone really wants to help out they should apply to help moderate!

But if it got someone like jaylock banned.... might be worth it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have a lot of reasonable moderators in this forums. I don't think a tribunal would not add any value. Especially when you see how bad it is going in LoL.

I don't think a user-based tribunal is necessary.

But what about a mod-based tribunal? Meaning, it takes 3 mods to authorize a poster's infraction. It would be easy to implement: someone reports a post, and if 2 out of the first 3 mods to review it vote for infraction, then the infraction passes. It would somewhat balance out moderator bias.

Just brainstorming here, don't crucify me.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."