Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Too much Technology in the World...of Warcraft.

One thing about WoW that has never made sense to me is all the technology in this game. I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.

Blizz has gone way overboard with all the tech in this game in the last few expacs. Everything from motorcycles, to helicopters, to hover rockets ect I mean what next? Jet planes? Computers? Are we going to be seeing Garrosh log into his facebook on his ipad while he's bored in Org? Will we see Thrall calling up Aggra on his new Samsung Galaxy S to check in on her?

There is technology in this game that even surpasses things we have in the real world, like all these robotics we see in the game. I don't know about you guys but I've never seen anyone riding around on hovering rockets to get to work.

That's the thing though, if the citizens of Azeroth have access to all this technology why even bother using swords,shields, bows and all that kind of primitive weaponry? Why not just pick up a gun since history has shown them to be a far superior weapon? Never bring a knife to gun fight anyone? You have rockets, bombs, guns all at your disposal yet you still decide to to use axes and swords? Why?

Anyone else feel the technology in the World...of Warcraft is out of control and breaks the immersion a little bit?

10+ Year Old Account
    wow since warcraft 2 was always a bit steam punk

also gnomes

*flies away*

10+ Year Old Account
    All through the lore, there has been some amount of technology. Gnomes have been around since the beginning, and anywhere they end up, there are crazy gadgets. The Horde are just now starting to get technology due to the goblins joining them and sharing their knowledge. Anyways, the settings is "early-steampunk" rather than medieval fantasy. Plus, the devices don't rely on actual 'tech', or what we'd think of it anyways. It's 'tech' that infuses and manipulates magic, allowing them to build transporters and flying machines, but not computers and 'the internet'.

Plus.. War tends to make technology advance faster, and, well, the citizens of Azeroth are in a constant state of war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, those things have been a part of Warcraft for a long time now. I think you were just mistaken about what you were getting into.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I imagine technology would have progressed quite a bit more slowly and would be less commonly used in general if WoW-style magic existed in the real world. Why invent cars or cell phones when any halfway decent mage can just make a portal for you?

I like the steampunky flavor the goblin and gnome tech brings to WoW, as well as the mystical tech of the titans. It's just part of the universe that Blizzard has created.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    wow since warcraft 2 was always a bit steam punk

also gnomes

*flies away*
    Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    All through the lore, there has been some amount of technology. Gnomes have been around since the beginning, and anywhere they end up, there are crazy gadgets. The Horde are just now starting to get technology due to the goblins joining them and sharing their knowledge. Anyways, the settings is "early-steampunk" rather than medieval fantasy. Plus, the devices don't rely on actual 'tech', or what we'd think of it anyways. It's 'tech' that infuses and manipulates magic, allowing them to build transporters and flying machines, but not computers and 'the internet'.

Plus.. War tends to make technology advance faster, and, well, the citizens of Azeroth are in a constant state of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Nope, those things have been a part of Warcraft for a long time now. I think you were just mistaken about what you were getting into.
    Okay fine, but then explain to me why the citizens of Azeroth don't embrace all this superior tech and give up the inferior swords, bows and shields/primitive weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    Okay fine, but then explain to me why the citizens of Azeroth don't embrace all this superior tech and give up the inferior swords, bows and shields/primitive weapons?
    They aren't inferior. Azeroth gear is much more advanced than Earth gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because magic exists so they have no need to.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because magic isn't superior. It's just another way to fight.

I agree the magic has a lot to do with it, but when you have guns why use swords? that's what I'm asking.

10+ Year Old Account

does the average citizen have 12k to put down for a motor cycle?

maybe they are not a high enough level to use some weapons

some classes cant use certain weapons

and plenty of characters use guns

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree the magic has a lot to do with it, but when you have guns why use swords? that's what I'm asking.
    apparently you're not getting the whole "magic can out do the guns" angle. non-imaginable mind does not imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    They aren't inferior. Azeroth gear is much more advanced than Earth gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Because magic exists so they have no need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Because magic isn't superior. It's just another way to fight.
    No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.

Because even a Belf rogue with two measly daggers or a little gnome priest with a stick and a dress can survive multiple bullet wounds. MAGIC!!!

In that regard, why don't these Titanic-sized bosses easily crush us with one hit? How is a goblin warrior able to take on a leviathan monster of the sea and walk away unscathed? How can a druid or warlock withstand a goblin RPG or a dwarven hunter's shot at point-blank range? Magic. 'Nuff said

Edit: Besides, a couple missiles or cannon shots from an alliance gyrocopter or gunship can take out a large amount of enemies, but so can I with a bear claw swipe, or a whirlwind, or a dragon roar, or a mind sear, or a flamestrike, or.... you get the drift?
    Last edited by Redlokyldoreifanggore; 2012-11-15 at 01:25 AM.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

The tram and gnomeregan were a bit jarring to me in vanilla but I got over it. Especially considering that Warcraft 2 had flying machines and submarines, and WC 3 had gyrocoptors and steam tanks for alliance.

Can you imagine playing a person playing WoW..in WoW.. playing another person playing their toon in WoW?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Because warriors with swords can kill hunters with guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Heres my input.

I personally dislike steampunk but that wont affect my post hopefully. The problem I have with steampunk is that its usually in places we never want to see it, STV for example, its 1 of my favourite zones in WoW, so many fond memories. As of recently theres been oil rigs and such popping up everywhere it actually depresses me because it makes me think of real life and I know the aim of crapaclysm was to make me hate the game but for god sake leave my lush scenery alone!

It works perfectly well in goblin areas ect, and I love it when used appropriately but at times like STV it gets waaay too intrusive and I dislike it alot. At this point id be willing to let them put DEHETA quests all over the place, where you get put in a new zoned area without the steampunk after doing some radical PETA crap to liberate the area.
    We can't stop progress, my friend. Future is coming and we just embrace is. I enjoy my engineering and the things I produce, but most technology progress we've seen is because of the Humans and Orcs. If they want something, they demand other races to help make it, and of the opposing race has something cooler, they want that instead.

Best advice, open a business for mining and let us supply NPC's projects for high income. War destroys and war breeds, some need to pick up the left overs.

I don't mind steampunk, really like it. But in my view, Steampunk isn't only oil rigs. But it's also things like the train in Ulduar, airships and the steam-boats. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that. The industrial view (oil rigs and mines and so much more) is just a smudge on the map.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I'd like to point out that the people of Azeroth DO use guns. Its just not as common as, say a paladin charging into the fight, his sword ablaze with holy power.

I personally like Blizzards Steampunk setting to WoW, making it interesting then just a Lotr universe were I would be stuff to pewing stuff we a bow.

Oh! And finally, one word: Magic.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 02:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redlokyldoreifanggore View Post
    Because even a Belf rogue with two measly daggers or a little gnome priest with a stick and a dress can survive multiple bullet wounds. MAGIC!!!

In that regard, why don't these Titanic-sized bosses easily crush us with one hit? How is a goblin warrior able to take on a leviathan monster of the sea and walk away unscathed? How can a druid or warlock withstand a goblin RPG or a dwarven hunter's shot at point-blank range? Magic. 'Nuff said

Edit: Besides, a couple missiles or cannon shots from an alliance gyrocopter or gunship can take out a large amount of enemies, but so can I with a bear claw swipe, or a whirlwind, or a dragon roar, or a mind sear, or a flamestrike, or.... you get the drift?
    And the main thing... Its a game wouldn't be fun if your char instantly died in pvp because the opposing hunter got a headshot like in TF2 or CoD.

No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.
    Apparently you don't have a concept of relative power. And that's fine. But without understanding it, you're never going to be satisfied with an answer.

With that said. You're absolutely right. On every point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.