Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do giant magical creatures die when puny mortals stand at their ankles and slash away for 9 minutes? That's just how it is... accept it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    Okay fine, but then explain to me why the citizens of Azeroth don't embrace all this superior tech and give up the inferior swords, bows and shields/primitive weapons?
    Probably because they value their life. I mean gnomish and goblin engineering isn't famous for being safe : |

Deleted
    the tech has been part of warcraft before you even started playing, unless you actually played warcraft 2 on release.

A slight hint OP - this is a game

Bullets are a lot less effective in a world where everybody and their brother has enchanted armor and magic protections.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Deleted
    Welcome to a fantasy universe where anything goes.

Deleted
    Okay fine, but then explain to me why the citizens of Azeroth don't embrace all this superior tech and give up the inferior swords, bows and shields/primitive weapons?
    I think this has already been answered:

Clicky Starship Troopers reference

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no one can say that a sword is a better weapon than a gun especially the guns in WoW. Have you seen the guns in WoW? A lot of them fire at almost the rate of a modern day fully auto machine gun. Plus some of them have giant bayonets attached. There is No reason to still use bows/swords when you got that kind of weaponry laying around.
    Except unlike in real life guns only damage things, they aren't the bringers of death real weapons are. So guns and swords become the same thing (with the exception of range) so you end up using the item your are better at (plus guns in azeroth don't have the range that real guns have, which makes running up to someone shooting you a real possibility).
    Last edited by dryankem; 2012-11-15 at 02:13 PM.

I agree the magic has a lot to do with it, but when you have guns why use swords? that's what I'm asking.
    Starship Troopers: "PUT YER HAND ON THAT WALL SOLDIER!" *throws dagger* Sometimes, technology is not the end all be all. Also, not every class would be raised and trained in the ways of Guns and bows. It was a mistake to make ranged weapons available to anyone except hunters they first time, and Blizz has finally fixed that. As for bows, most melee classes would hate being restricted to a distance. Every fight would be a kite.

Tech in Azeroth tends to be high maintenance and less reliable. If you notice even the "tech" stuff still tends to be made of wood or haphazardly bolted together. While they may work for a short time I imagine the fall apart pretty often.

They simply don't have the advanced materials or infrastructure the real world has to produce reliable tech in mass quantities. Magic seems to be more commonplace and meet demands easier.

As for why people still use swords? Probably because spells and enchants that protect against small projectiles are common. We'd probably all have swords IRL too if most people had person forcefields that could deflect bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Except unlike in real life guns only damage things, they aren't the bringers of death real weapons are. So guns and swords become the same thing (with the exception of range) so you end up using the item your are better at (plus guns in azeroth don't have the range that real guns have, which makes running up to someone shooting you a real possibility).
    Modern guns. Older guns were far less deadly. Also, even now a gun shot does not usually kill immediately.

Jet planes? Computers?
    Already exist. I flew to Twilight Highlands for the first time in a jet powered plane. Hell, we have had "Computers" in the game since vanilla. The Gnome Card Punchers, the Uldaman Hologram (who even takes round "disks" that carry information), or other Titan computers like the Tribunal of Ages.

Anyone else feel the technology in the World...of Warcraft is out of control and breaks the immersion a little bit?
    Nope, because Azeroth is not Earth. You can't base it on how reality works. We don't have magic altering the very way things work.

Hell, let's remove technology from the arguement and just go back to what you want, Realistic (and I use that term loosely) Medieval Fantasy. I would imagine a mage that is able to shoot a ice shard at mach 5 to slice right into your chest would be much better then bows/guns too, should we remove magic as well because it breaks your immersion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Modern guns. Older guns were far less deadly. Also, even now a gun shot does not usually kill immediately.
    I know, it was a pretty general statement. A blunderbuss could still be extremely potent though (had the potential to rip limbs off).

Same could be said with swords though as people generally died long after they were stabbed or sliced open. Those old mid-evil battlefields would have been an extremely gruesome place.

Deleted
    I actually agree with the OP. Previously there was technology, but it was pretty much constricted to gnomes, dwarves and goblins. The Gnomish and Goblin stuff was too volatile to see much use outside of it's own race, and while the Dwarven stuff was sturdier and more reliable it was only just becoming more prominent I felt: Even in the real world there was a transition between swords and guns. But now it's everywhere, and the tech now seems to be stable enough to use on a regular basis. But despite being so wide-spread swords and bows are still in use. I know for gameplay mechanics why this must be the case, but from a lore perspective it's just baffling. And please, stop with the "it's magic" excuse. Magic being in a setting is not an excuse to throw away all logic. Things must remain internally consistent and logical and at the moment there is no reason why swords are still in use in Azeroth.

When I played Dungeons and Dragons regularly I had a gnome paladin who was an engineer/alchemist who made himself a "Holy Avenger" revolver that he made magically imbued holy bullets that he could change out during battle. Inspired by Gene Starwind from outlaw star and the castor bullets. His name was sock.
    *"Did you ever know that you're my heeeerrrrooooo..." plays during a montage of Sock's adventures*

...Anywho, the reason I bring this up is that even know he had sweet bullets they were balanced around not being armor penetrating, or if they were magical shields could block the armor pen ones. Just a thought about why guns may not be as powerful as we would think. I think they're more of a Blunderbuss or the primitive weapons of the American Civil War rather than the hightech machine guns we have now.

One thing about WoW that has never made sense to me is all the technology in this game
    wrong! goblins.

I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.
    yes, you were way wrong. it is the "warcraft" setting. (c) blizzard. no frodos and gandalfs.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Can you imagine playing a person playing WoW..in WoW.. playing another person playing their toon in WoW?
    We have to go deeper!
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot apply logic and reasoning to a fantasy game. It just doesn't work that way. :P

Steamtanks can be countered with magic, but weapons of mass destruction ála Stonetalon bomb go too far. The manabomb used on Theramore was the result of a complicated plan that required a very rare magical material(the focusing iris), so that one had a decent excuse. But the Stonetalon bomb was there just because lolgoblins. I'm guessing Blizz realized it was too much and are now kinda ignoring it and hoping everyone else do too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    You cannot apply logic and reasoning to a fantasy game. It just doesn't work that way. :P
    Yes it does work that way. Ignoring logic and consistency just because magic exists in the setting is plain bad writing. It's not just "anything goes."