Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    One thing about WoW that has never made sense to me is all the technology in this game. I was always under the impression that the world we play in was some kind of medieval fantasy type setting like LoTR but I was way wrong.

Blizz has gone way overboard with all the tech in this game in the last few expacs. Everything from motorcycles, to helicopters, to hover rockets ect I mean what next? Jet planes? Computers? Are we going to be seeing Garrosh log into his facebook on his ipad while he's bored in Org? Will we see Thrall calling up Aggra on his new Samsung Galaxy S to check in on her?

There is technology in this game that even surpasses things we have in the real world, like all these robotics we see in the game. I don't know about you guys but I've never seen anyone riding around on hovering rockets to get to work.

That's the thing though, if the citizens of Azeroth have access to all this technology why even bother using swords,shields, bows and all that kind of primitive weaponry? Why not just pick up a gun since history has shown them to be a far superior weapon? Never bring a knife to gun fight anyone? You have rockets, bombs, guns all at your disposal yet you still decide to to use axes and swords? Why?

Anyone else feel the technology in the World...of Warcraft is out of control and breaks the immersion a little bit?
    technology, just like magic requires certain knowledge which not all Azerothians have. And just like magic, Azerothian tech is not reliable.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    All through the lore, there has been some amount of technology. Gnomes have been around since the beginning, and anywhere they end up, there are crazy gadgets. The Horde are just now starting to get technology due to the goblins joining them and sharing their knowledge. Anyways, the settings is "early-steampunk" rather than medieval fantasy. Plus, the devices don't rely on actual 'tech', or what we'd think of it anyways. It's 'tech' that infuses and manipulates magic, allowing them to build transporters and flying machines, but not computers and 'the internet'.

Plus.. War tends to make technology advance faster, and, well, the citizens of Azeroth are in a constant state of war.
    Goblins were part of the OLD HORDE during the second war, giving them Zeppelins, War Turtles and Goblin Sappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    technology, just like magic requires certain knowledge which not all Azerothians have. And just like magic, Azerothian tech is not reliable.
    Though arguably, tech is a lot safer to use in the long term.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't play Warcraft 3, it's full of pop culture references and Easter eggs. Click on the Human units enough time and you'll hear some Monty Python references.
    And everyone remembers the human campaign entirely based on The Holy Grail right?

Wait, there isn't one? But Uldum is entirely based on Indiana Jones, so doesn't that mean the amount of pop-culture has gone up? Yes, yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    And everyone remembers the human campaign entirely based on The Holy Grail right?

Wait, there isn't one? But Uldum is entirely based on Indiana Jones, so doesn't that mean the amount of pop-culture has gone up? Yes, yes it does.
    But more than half of it isn't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    But more than half of it isn't?
    Ok, perhaps I used a bit of hyperbole. But I don't see how you can deny that the pop culture references have increased. We didn't have large portions of the story ripped wholesale from other series. Even with things like the Old Gods Blizzard made it their own.

In every civilization there will always be advanced races, that are far beyond everyone else.

In this case, we have 2, one per faction and they help supply their technology, but there is only so much that can go around, that dropping the arms we have been trained over the ears to use would be a ba move. Do you think when te first gun was invented that same day everyone threw down their sword and shields? I highly doubt it. Things like that take time. At this point in WoW, we aren't really all that many yeas into the actual story.