The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Post [Rift] You know what?

So this topic is in relation to the recently brought up Rift and bots and how Rift, being smaller than WoW, doesn't have quite the issue WoW has with bots, and such. At first I was on the defensive, along with others, but as I was walking out of class tonight, I was thinking, you know what? I'm happy Rift is smaller than WoW. Rift isn't so bloody massive that it is a cultural phenomenon and attracts botters/Chinese gold farmers, but at the same time it's not so small no one is logged on. Consistently there are MORE than enough people on, at any hour of the day, doing anything from instant adventures, to conquest, to warfronts, to dungeons, to raids, to dailies, to zone events, you name it, and now with Storm Legion we have even more to do. Frankly, I'm happy Rift is this small. We don't have to worry so much about account security (and if it's a problem at all, coin lock is already in and makes it almost impossible for hackers to get your stuff unless they ALSO have access to your email account) and barely are ever bothered by platinum-sellers.

Another thing that is nice about the game being this small, is our company still gives a damn about customers. I'm not going to say Blizzard doesn't at all care about their customers, but I think there is a different level of caring. When I report a bug in-game, I will typically get a GM response within the hour and they will possibly have already fixed the issue. Quest is bugged and they're still trying to figure it out? Well instead of "that sucks bro" type responses, you get your character advanced to the next part of that specific quest, or to the next quest if that's the case.

Rift isn't so small that they don't have the money or care left to do anything with the game and it isn't so big that they've become disillusioned by the insane amounts of money flowing in. We're at a nice medium and after thinking about this, I'm happy with it. If friends want to try out Rift, I'll encourage it and frankly I'll still hype up and talk about Rift all the time, but I have this to say also - our gaming experience is not bogged down by bugs that will never get fixed until the world is just completely redone nor is our gaming experience covered in gold advertisement PMs/yells every so often each day, nor is our game immediately associated with all of the gold seller advertisements and other such cultural negatives. I feel like Rift is still a "clean" (if you will) gaming experience and has been kept well in order and is very very healthy - it's here to stay folks, better get used to it: people play Rift, more than enough of us, that's apparent for sure.

Happy Storm Legion.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I agree with you 100%. I've often thought that, in the end, the success of WoW did a lot of damage to MMOs. When I started playing MMOs back at the release of UO, no one expected millions of players. Now, any MMO that isn't WoW is called a failure because they don't have millions of subs.

People often can't seem to grasp the idea that as long as a company makes enough money from the subs they have to support the game well, everything's just fine. I'm quite happy with Rift, and as long as the game gets enough subs to keep things going the way they have been, I'll continue to be happy.

Now, if I could just work on my poor timing. Just as the day's RL crap was done and I sat down to play, it was server update time. *pout* Down with RL.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once a game gets to where there are as many players as WoW, there will be a great many more bots as the bot makers want to make more money, and a game that has a pittance of the population means alot less money for them. As well as the gold sellers will not make as much as they can on a game with a large playerbase.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by merrier View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I've often thought that, in the end, the success of WoW did a lot of damage to MMOs. When I started playing MMOs back at the release of UO, no one expected millions of players. Now, any MMO that isn't WoW is called a failure because they don't have millions of subs.

People often can't seem to grasp the idea that as long as a company makes enough money from the subs they have to support the game well, everything's just fine. I'm quite happy with Rift, and as long as the game gets enough subs to keep things going the way they have been, I'll continue to be happy.

Now, if I could just work on my poor timing. Just as the day's RL crap was done and I sat down to play, it was server update time. *pout* Down with RL.
    Hehe. Funny thing? I logged on earlier today around 1PM.... guildies/Lathais included, are like, "lol Deltress bad timing. They're about to take down the servers in 5 minutes for a 30 minute update." I'm like, I don't believe you trolls! Hah, I got burned.

Then again here tonight... x_x

But hey, I'm just glad that Trion does this, they are making the game more playable (as if it wasn't, okay ability lag can be annoying) and are working on these few issues the very first two days of the launch and have pushed at least 3 updates/hotfixes now - that's dedication.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Once a game gets to where there are as many players as WoW, there will be a great many more bots as the bot makers want to make more money, and a game that has a pittance of the population means alot less money for them. As well as the gold sellers will not make as much as they can on a game with a large playerbase.
    Precisely my point why I am happy Rift isn't that big - we don't have to deal with bots.

Not to mention Trion puts bots/gold-sellers down instantly half the time, it's amazing.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    But hey, I'm just glad that Trion does this, they are making the game more playable (as if it wasn't, okay ability lag can be annoying) and are working on these few issues the very first two days of the launch and have pushed at least 3 updates/hotfixes now - that's dedication.[COLOR="red"]
    I absolutely love the way Trion updates. Back in head start while masses were whining about 'another update?!', my hubby and I would just take a few minutes breather and start camping the login screen knowing that half an hour was often less and we'd be in while they whined. *laugh* Rift totally blew away my attitude from other MMOs where 'patch/expansion day? Blah, I'll try in a couple days when they sort things out'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patch day? More like patch hour. lol
    "A flower.

Not to mention Trion puts bots/gold-sellers down instantly half the time, it's amazing.
    Same with SWTOR. The reason is that Bioware and Trion are not getting secret kickbacks from the goldsellers like Blizzard is. If Blizzard wanted to, they could shut them down instantly too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Same with SWTOR. The reason is that Bioware and Trion are not getting secret kickbacks from the goldsellers like Blizzard is. If Blizzard wanted to, they could shut them down instantly too.
    Sad thing is, Blizzard is valuing even more money from those gold sellers over their customers' enjoyment of the game and experience. I would hope that Trion is above that, but I know Bioware wouldn't be, based on Bioware having become part of EA... But that's another discussion.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets stay away from the generalizations including lack of evidence and claims stated as fact. You guys know the rules, no game bashing.

Back when Rift first launched there were a number of bots in the warfronts. I played a lot of matches, so you would see the same names in game after game. It was a relatively small pool, as many people were just leveling on dungeons / quests. The bots were really obvious as they initially just stayed a spawn and buffed themselves repeatedly. I believe there was some sort of patch addressing the issue because I remember the bots behaviour changed and they began to auto run from spawn. I seem to recall there was a PvP server (forget the name) that seemed to have more bots than the others combined, which was a little odd. That said, it was generally only one or two a match, so it wasn't as bad as the heyday of WoW AV where half your team was back in the cave spawn. The brunt of the botting seemed to disappear after the first couple months, and I can't recall being bothered by it since.

I also recall a little in-game mail spam at launch, but that was quickly stomped. Since I've started playing again I've only had one gold spam mail and it's one button to report, so not a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Lets stay away from the generalizations including lack of evidence and claims stated as fact. You guys know the rules, no game bashing.
    Sorry if my posts did any game-bashing, I was more meaning to reference my personal experiences in WoW the 3.5 years I played and don't mean to hold my experiences as more factual than others'.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I agree with Azuri, I'm a chill guy & come in here and see whats up and throw out some kind words here an there, but things like this will turn into bashing / flaming & will bring in people and cause worse problems.

This a WoW forum and MMO-Champ is kind anough to give Rift & other games have a forum of your own too. We try to avoid talking about other games above but we all know its the internet & you can't really control what trolls say until it has been said, please try to do the same in return .

We want you to enjoy your game & we want enjoy ours regardless of this or that. Even if are games are 2 completely different sizes its hard to compare community & what each company does. WoW is the most popular of course it will have bots & goldsellers, You can't control that many people even if you tried. Trion has it easy with there small playerbase.

also WoW doesn't have as many bots as people say they do, There very un-noticable at max level its the lower level bgs people talk about.
    The game is just way to big & very is hard to control the gold sellers of 10 million paying subs no matter who is run the game.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-11-15 at 05:22 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point was more I had an enlightenment, I don't care if people make fun because Rift is somehow smaller therefore obviously a bad game, suffice to say, we don't have to deal with the cultural drama and other issues that come with the biggest MMORPG.

I still adore World of Warcraft, but I've moved on in terms of what MMO I call home.
    "A flower.

Sad thing is, Blizzard is valuing even more money from those gold sellers over their customers' enjoyment of the game and experience. I would hope that Trion is above that, but I know Bioware wouldn't be, based on Bioware having become part of EA... But that's another discussion.

you really should read some blue answers/replies or news on front page , blizzard explained countless times why thats not true even for such ppl as you . So please avoid claiming stuff just cos you think it is so .