Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    So, the doctors should ignore the fact that she was in pain? I mean, you don't need to tests to see if a person is in pain because of something, right? What am I missing here?
    My leg is broken, I think I fell off the roof of a building down 2m and I'm in pain.

By your reasoning, I should abort my baby. Believe it or not, being in pain isn't a reason (in any country) to abort a baby without testing. Please don't be my doctor, you'd jump to so many conclusions so quickly and amputate my leg because it was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Sepsis != E Coli

With Sepsis, your blood literally turns toxic to the body because it is infected.
    Well, I guess I'm the only one who can read. The article states she died from septicaemia and E. coli ESBL. E. coli causes septicaemia which in turn could have caused the miscarriage in the first place. I guess it's just easier to raise a pitch fork and jump on the bandwagon to crucify doctors who were just doing their job according to the law. I mean forget the investigation; lets hand out their judgment now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    My leg is broken, I think I fell off the roof of a building down 2m and I'm in pain.

By your reasoning, I should abort my baby. Believe it or not, being in pain isn't a reason (in any country) to abort a baby without testing. Please don't be my doctor, you'd jump to so many conclusions so quickly and amputate my leg because it was broken.
    No, but the pain is caused by SOMETHING, so what was causing the pain?

I'm pretty adamantly prolife, I'm very supportive of any woman who would, say, risk dying during birth in order to give a chance for her child to be born, based on her beliefs or morals. But, I would not deny a woman a right to an elective abortion when she was A) already miscarriaging and B) abortions are still not totally illegal.

Plus, the phrase "This is a Catholic country" is pretty fucking stupid... oh wait, this isn't a story from U.S.A.?! Welp, I can't say much. Foreign Laws are foreign laws, although you'd think an amendment would be added that would reflect consideration for the sake of the mother's health if a miscarriage was imminent.

The most grave thing for me is how she must have felt, neither being irish or catholic, and knowing she could die a long with her child. I would be terrified, it's a shame to lose life like that in a preventable case.
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's pretty hard to find a good girl in the sea of whores that is my country, brazil.

She didn't die from a bacterial infection from fecal matter, she died because of multi-system organ failure secondary septicemia due to fetal death. Please wikipedia "Sepsis", and "septicemia" before making stupid comments.

The laws in Ireland sacrifice both mother and fetus unless very strict regulations are followed. Just what the pro-birthers in the US want to happen here. Sadly in many countries with outdated laws, pregnancy is still a crap shoot and women still go to funerals for friends who died because their babies killed them.

10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't want anyone in this thread to be my doctor, I'm pretty none of us in here are doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Where'd I say they thought she lied? Believe it or not, tests don't say "quick, abort or this person will die". Tests show results but leave the decisions up to the doctors and it's quite possible that blood poisoning wouldn't show until well after the child was dead (otherwise the baby would die from the blood poisoning themself, wouldn't they?)
    the water had broke. water breaking = game over, baby is coming out dead or alive. it cannot be undone. if they actually had interest in the child's life they should have removed it and stuck it in a nicu, leaving in was a guaranteed death sentence. essentially they aborted it the really slow, drawn out, agonizing way

There was a valid reason, the law says they couldn't do it. And since you aren't a citizen of Ireland then you have no right to vote in their elections (and thus change the law). I'm a strong believer that a country should have the right to make laws *for themselves* (after all, my country can so others should be able to as well) and that other countries (Countries in the EU and USA are notorious for this, but Australia is definitely not innocent in this either) should simply butt out.
    This is not a valid reason to let someone die. It's fucking appalling by any reasonable standard.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2012-11-15 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is not a valid reason to let someone die. It's a fucking appalling by any reasonable standard.
    At the very least they need to lose their medical licenses. "Do no harm" my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    The saddest part is, that if Mitt Romney and his buddies had their way, this would be the norm instead of just a really sad incident.

I hope they sue the fuck out of that hospital.
    Romney lost dude; move on already. This was in Ireland btw, lol.

Deleted

Huh? This woman didn't had pain in her legs, as far as I know, it was in her belly or her vagina that was in pain, and that indicates something wrong with the baby, that the baby was causing her pain.

I know they shouldn't abort just because she says "abort", but come on.

And I'm not being your doctor, I'm just giving my opinion.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No, but the pain is caused by SOMETHING, so what was causing the pain?
    Exactly, what was causing it? I don't know, you don't know. The article doesn't say (and neither will any article since it's in breach of patient privacy). You're all jumping to conclusions based on facts that you don't know.

Was abortion the best or only option? Was that clear to the doctor? Would the same mistake be made in another hospital where the country allowed abortions whenever someone asked for them? We simply don't know and it's unfair for everyone to quickly jump in and blame religion.

I understand why everyone is upset and agree that it is extremely sad but at the end of the day, the blame lies with the doctors, not the religious beliefs of the majority of the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I think in scenarios such as these, one simply needs to step back and think about one thing: what is the decent, HUMAN thing to do? It's as simple as using one's intuition without inhibitions etc. If your reasoning dictates that the mother's life is a worthy risk to bring another life into the world then so be it. But if both are at danger and the child is the likelier to die of the two then it's damn obvious what needs to be done.

In such a case I don't think any religion in the entire world dictates that you should sacrifice both the mother and child.
    The child was 17 weeks old, it had no chance of living at all when born. She was also miscarrying, so the foetus would've died either way. The HUMAN thing to do was to abort and save the mother who still had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysann View Post
    She didn't die from a bacterial infection from fecal matter, she died because of multi-system organ failure secondary septicemia due to fetal death. Please wikipedia "Sepsis", and "septicemia" before making stupid comments.
    It's in the autopsy "stupid."

Exactly, what was causing it? I don't know, you don't know.
    Could it be...possibly....the miscarriage?

well, could they have known she would have died?

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a valid reason, the law says they couldn't do it. And since you aren't a citizen of Ireland then you have no right to vote in their elections (and thus change the law). I'm a strong believer that a country should have the right to make laws *for themselves* (after all, my country can so others should be able to as well) and that other countries (Countries in the EU and USA are notorious for this, but Australia is definitely not innocent in this either) should simply butt out.
    I don't think anyone here is intending to vote in a place they don't live in. I think logic dictates you try to save the mother if the child is already dead.

By the way, why is that site crashing my Flash Player?

sad, very sad. and people want the same thing in the U.S... i wonder how many women will have to die to get this law overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    That is disgusting, I don't like abortion myself, but in life-threatening cases, it needs to be done, asap, hope they get sued.
    They were operating within Irish law.

I'd expect Irish law to change after this, though.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Huh? This woman didn't had pain in her legs, as far as I know, it was in her belly or her vagina that was in pain, and that indicates something wrong with the baby, that the baby was causing her pain.

I know they shouldn't abort just because she says "abort", but come on.

And I'm not being your doctor, I'm just giving my opinion.
    I was using an example to show that you were clearly jumping to unfounded conclusions (the pain was in her back by the way which given she was so heavily pregnant would indicate trouble with the baby but it's also not uncommon for gastro to cause similar pain. Hope you don't abort kids every time a mother rocks up at the hospital with indigestion).