Mincraft Private Server (No LAN)

Now I have no idea about minecraft; but a friend of mine plays at a military base so he cannot use the lan - but can connect to the internet (it's blocked) so he is looking for information on how to establish a private server where he and a few friends can play on.

So if anyone knows how to establish a free or costed server that can be accessed without a local area network that would be super duper.

I am assuming that there are private websites you can go to that sell server space. But preferably would like to avoid that.

Thanks for the info - After googling for about 15 minutes and having no idea what I was looking at I thought the friendly people here would have an idea ^.^
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

LogMeIn Hamachi is a really good client that can be used for connecting to things. I'm not sure of a step by step guide, but I bet you could find one on the Minecraft official forums.

Thanks for the info; I have forwarded this thread to my buddy and hopefully he will look it over
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

Quote Originally Posted by Xiar View Post
    LogMeIn Hamachi is a really good client that can be used for connecting to things. I'm not sure of a step by step guide, but I bet you could find one on the Minecraft official forums.
    This is your best bet

I'd suggest you to better buy a small private Minecraft server with limited slots. Have Fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Get McMyAdmin
    http://www.mcmyadmin.com/

Or ideally as Vikero said, purchase small server.
    -K

You should purchase a small server