Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Minecraft stay F2p

Should minecraft stay f2p?
    gw2 is a great game

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are no servers so what would they be charging for? The game does come with a cost when you purchase it anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can even charge for private servers. Might be against the TOS. Not that anyone would pay, there are hundreds of them out there.

It would likely never become a paid to access service. I get the feeling Mojang wouldn't go down that route ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that like paying a sub for say... dragon age? Its a single player game with small mutiplayer. Much the same as most single player games.
    Aye mate

It's not even f2p as it is , it's buy to play...and the multi player aspect is all down to the users even the servers

one of the creators has even said if you cant afford it, pirate it. I'll find the quote.

there will never be a sub.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/1...just-pirate-it
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

F2P? Doesn't it cost 20 Euro or so?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Buy to play != Free to play.

Pointless thread is pointless.

Deleted
    What? No.

It's a single player game with multiplayer functionality. You wouldn't expect any other company to charge for a single player game, would you?

Why would Mojang destroy its playerbase? There's no content model that could possibly keep even 10% of the players if it went to a monthly subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best thing about Minecraft is being able to step away from it for a while, then when new things come out, hop right back in with no worries about having to pay a subscription fee, especially when you only end up playing it for like a day or 2. Minecraft would be ruined if it deterred from it's free to play style.

Why is the question even being asked? It's not F2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you have "free to play" mixed up with "free to obtain". The game is f2p once you obtain it, but it has the initial cost to obtain the game in the first place. I think minecraft has it right at the moment with the constant updates and patches that don't cost anything.

Minecraft should be Free to Play for singleplayer, the multiplayer should be premium

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vikero View Post
    Minecraft should be Free to Play for singleplayer, the multiplayer should be premium
    Why? Mojang doesn't host any of the servers. A player has to either host it or pay someone to host it if they want a server.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    one of the creators has even said if you cant afford it, pirate it. I'll find the quote.

there will never be a sub.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/1...just-pirate-it
    This is why Notch is the greatest game creator to ever walk the Earth. He's so humble and awesome.

Remember how he handled that lawsuit with Bethesda? He offered to play a game and the winner wins the lawsuit (IIRC, it was doom, though I'm probably wrong)

Seriously, who else would ever think of something so, just, awesome?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vikero View Post
    So what you're saying is I have to pay for my own server then pay Mojang too?

Something tells me you have never even played Minecraft multiplayer lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    This is why Notch is the greatest game creator to ever walk the Earth. He's so humble and awesome.

Remember how he handled that lawsuit with Bethesda? He offered to play a game and the winner wins the lawsuit (IIRC, it was doom, though I'm probably wrong)

Seriously, who else would ever think of something so, just, awesome?
    yeah, he's pretty damn cool, I do believe it was quake 3 (but I can be mistaken)

he also said that companies shouldn't spend so much time and money on making their games un-piratable (if thats even word) but instead they should make frequent patches, that would make it inconvenient for the player to keep re-downloading the newest patch, and just make the game so awesome that the players would want to buy it to support it.
    which I think is cool, instead of making it 'hard' to pirate, make it inconvenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Isn't that like paying a sub for say... dragon age? Its a single player game with small mutiplayer. Much the same as most single player games.
    It is nowhere near the same category as DA, the multiplayer can be one vast experience
    -K