Thread: Losing Weight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Hey there, here soon I'm going to be trying to lose some weight.
    My current weight is 228 pounds (103 kg) and I stand an even 6 feet 0 inches tall. (182.88 cm). I am 17, turning 18 in February, so wanted to get my weight under control or starting to at least, when I hit adulthood.

My target weight, by February if possible, is below 205 pounds.

Now my first question is, is it possible to reach my target goal healthily, or is it an unreasonable goal?

Second, I don't have access to a gym, but I live on 2.5 acres of land so I could find some area to run.

Does anyone have some tips that would help me lose weight and possibly reach my target goal within or close to the time frame I've set?

If you need more information, let me know, and I'll try and answer as best as I can.

Some things I do have:
    -Jump Rope (really about it)

We just moved, so we don't have our bench press or other weights yet, as there is no room currently do to unpacking boxes and what not.

Thanks - Hastings

Edit: Also some dietary tips would be wonderful, currently I eat a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit every morning (https://jimmydean.com/products/biscu...a-biscuit.aspx), for lunch I unfortunately, have the school lunch which is Pizza and Fries (they do have salads, and some fruit and vegetables, but to be honest, after eating solely organic vegetables/fruits for the last 5 years I can't eat the ones the school provides due to taste issues), and dinner is almost always a relatively healthy meal prepared by my mom (my sister has celiac, so typically I just eat what she eats since my mom only makes one meal for dinner).
    Burn more calories than you get into your body.

http://caloriecount.about.com/ To look up how much calories there is in an apple, bread etc.

Daily Calorie Intake: 2,498 (MAX) (If you work out 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes per time)
    Daily Calorie Intake: 2100 (MAX) (if you work out less than 30 minutes a week)
    Expected Weight Loss Per Week: 0.6 kg.

Go for runs, jump rope and do the stuff you like when training.
    When losing weight try to keep pulse under 130 for cardio (more weight loss) and go for 30 minutes plus.

The most important thing when losing weight is the the diet. Try to aim for 5-6 meals a day of 300-400 calories each.
    If you like chicken and turkey, its pretty much the best meat to eat (give the skin to the dog or whatever).
    If you like fish, awesome for you, its the best meat for losing weight really, tuna(no oil) etc.
    Last edited by parlaa; 2012-11-25 at 04:15 PM.

Everything here will work. However for the amount of effort you put in, to me the results do not justify it for me. Take these few things in to consideration:

You have to jog one mile to burn the calories from a medium-sized banana.

It takes almost four miles to burn off the calories from one medium order of fast food French fries, which have about 370 calories.

To lose one pound of fat, you'll need to burn about 3,500 calories, or jog about 35 miles.

35 miles for 1 pound, yeah i'll pass. People are brainwashed into thinking you can look like a fitness model by just running some and controling diet. While possible, this will take a very long (10+ years) time to achieve. There are many other alternative ways that are widely used, yet unknown to the public. The public is fear mongered into believing that they are dangerous/deadly. However; just like anything else, abusing something will and can harm you. Use them responsibly and reap the benefits.

I am currently burning ~6000 calories a day while doing absolutely nothing. I can eat whatever ( and I mean whatever ) I want with 0 consequences. So far I have lost 18 lbs in 2 weeks and still going strong. Oh, and that weight is pure fat. No muscle weight, no water weight, just pure fat. The choice is yours, but if your interested in anything pm me I will be glad to answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldic View Post
    Everything here will work. However for the amount of effort you put in, to me the results do not justify it for me. Take these few things in to consideration:

You have to jog one mile to burn the calories from a medium-sized banana.

It takes almost four miles to burn off the calories from one medium order of fast food French fries, which have about 370 calories.

To lose one pound of fat, you'll need to burn about 3,500 calories, or jog about 35 miles.

35 miles for 1 pound, yeah i'll pass. People are brainwashed into thinking you can look like a fitness model by just running some and controling diet. While possible, this will take a very long (10+ years) time to achieve. There are many other alternative ways that are widely used, yet unknown to the public. The public is fear mongered into believing that they are dangerous/deadly. However; just like anything else, abusing something will and can harm you. Use them responsibly and reap the benefits.

I am currently burning ~6000 calories a day while doing absolutely nothing. I can eat whatever ( and I mean whatever ) I want with 0 consequences. So far I have lost 18 lbs in 2 weeks and still going strong. Oh, and that weight is pure fat. No muscle weight, no water weight, just pure fat. The choice is yours, but if your interested in anything pm me I will be glad to answer any questions.
    It does not take 10 years to become a fitness model.
    And no you cannot eat whatever. There is always a calorie limit, there are people that can eat ALOT, but you cant eat UNLIMITED.

And you burning 6 000 calories a day with doing nothing, you must be counting calories wrong.
    Last edited by Harzaka; 2012-11-25 at 05:31 PM.

Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Burn more calories than you get into your body.

http://caloriecount.about.com/ To look up how much calories there is in an apple, bread etc.

Daily Calorie Intake: 2,498 (MAX) (If you work out 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes per time)
    Daily Calorie Intake: 2100 (MAX) (if you work out less than 30 minutes a week)
    Expected Weight Loss Per Week: 0.6 kg.

Go for runs, jump rope and do the stuff you like when training.
    When losing weight try to keep pulse under 130 for cardio (more weight loss) and go for 30 minutes plus.

The most important thing when losing weight is the the diet. Try to aim for 5-6 meals a day of 300-400 calories each.
    If you like chicken and turkey, its pretty much the best meat to eat (give the skin to the dog or whatever).
    If you like fish, awesome for you, its the best meat for losing weight really, tuna(no oil) etc.

Would Catfish be acceptable as well?

And thanks for all the replies everyone, nice to have some tips for losing weight!

Cheers - Hastings
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

And thanks for all the replies everyone, nice to have some tips for losing weight!

Cheers - Hastings
    Aslong as you can count the calories etc it should be fine.

And you dont have to eat 5-6 meals a day if you dont want to.

( IT DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR METABOLISM IF YOU EAT 5-6 MEALS )

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Bad advice.
    Not only is it expensive only eating meat and only protein / fats, carbs is good for you.

Are you a beginner to building muscle? In that case you can build abit ( not much ) of muscle even at a caloric deficit, but you will have to lose the weight and then go into a calori surplus if you want to build more muscle.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 02:37 PM ----------

Losing 5-9 pounds a week after losing water weight is not a safe thing to do.
    Recommended to lose is a pound to 2 pounds max, a week.

Edit two: Dont go on any diets.
    Just eat healthy and on a 500 calorie deficit with a brisk walk every day until you can start jogging.

Losing weight is a lifestyle change, you cant go back to old eating habits once you've lost the weight.
    You wont miss the junk food etc after losing the weight, because nothing feels better than being healthy.
    Is it okay to just keep on taking brisk walks every day if it's not possible to go jogging? (I don't really think that it's a good idea to try that or running on snow and ice)

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Is it okay to just keep on taking brisk walks every day if it's not possible to go jogging? (I don't really think that it's a good idea to try that or running on snow and ice)
    Yes ofc, just walking is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Powerwalking burns more calories than jogging at the same speed so long as you are going faster than 5mph.

gym is the best place to lose weight

Regular exercise*

Consume less energy than you take in**

Balanced diet (get enough micro- and macronutrients, this includes carbohydrates, despite what the LCHF fanatics tell you)***

* I recommend anaerobic exercise, like weight lifting. Builds muscle mass and uses up energy at the same time.

** There are plenty of BMR calculators online, use one to determine how much you should be eating.

*** For muscle building the "standard" recommendation is 1.8 - 2.0 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight and day. A high protein intake helps avoid losing too much muscle with a calorie deficit. Also, post-workout you should get both carbs and protein.
    I am the Kwisatz Haderach

My friend, if you're still reading -

I am 6'1" and three years ago weighed 245 when I decided to do something about it. I started running 3-5 days a week, couldn't do a mile when I first started. I made my lunch a salad that consisted of romaine, spinach, fruit, nuts, avocados, etc, every day. Portion control, healthier eating, exercise will get you the results you want.

I am now 185 (my target weight, been here for about a year now), and can run upwards of 12 miles on a good day with more improvement coming.

Whole food, plant-based diet with exercise. You'll be surprised what something so simple as that can get you. And with everything else in life, consistency is key!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Since you don't seem to care about muscle mass at all (nor could you do much about it with no gym), just run 30 mins to 60 mins a day and eat 1500-2000 calories a day and you will easily hit your target weight. Also, organic shit does not taste different than nonorganic shit. Vegetables you find at lunchrooms tend to be of a lower grade than organic but you can buy good tasting regular food. Organic has never been shown to be at all healthier. And if you cannot stomach bad tasting food for purposes of dieting, I question your resolve.
    To the main poster,
    this calorie count is really low for a man your size, this is my calorie count as a 5'6" 115lb woman runner/yogaer, id suggest higher at 2100-2300.

my only suggestion is to really start slow. if you go to fast youll hurt yourself and might become discouraged.

i hate to retort your last comment good sir/madam poster. I am also Celiac, but I can absolutely tell when things are organic or not.

Hastings:

I'm a little too tired to go into it, but a pretty solid thing to eat for breakfast is egg beaters. They are eggs without the cholesterol, fat, and calories while also retaining their protein. A lot of breakfast foods (pancakes, cereal, waffles) are straight carbs which also happen to just go straight through you. Eating a lot of protein will help stave off hunger. Chicken breasts are also low in calories and high in protein.

Even if you have to cut out a lot of crap food to lose the weight, just remember that it's much easier to maintain weight than it is to lose it. You'll be able to eat fun stuff again without gaining as long as you exercise regularly. What I'm trying to say here is that losing weight makes your menu pretty boring for a period of time, but you'll be able to eat tasty food again in moderation once you've reached your desired weight (so don't think "omg this is totally unsustainable, I'd rather be overweight")

Just remember not to starve yourself because if you do your body will hold on to your fat cells while eating muscle cells. Your body unfortunately isn't as smart as your brain, and will go into self-preservation-mode if you try to brute force your way to weight loss. Burn more calories than you take in (running will be really good for you), but don't under eat so much that your body thinks it has to save itself. Slow and steady; you'll get where you want to be if you just keep at it. GL!

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 06:06 AM ----------

Cheers - Hastings
    Poultry is a very lean type of meat, and generally a very healthy choice. Barring a discussion about mercury and "bad" fats, catfish is still a low calorie way to get protein in you. I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Hastings:

I'm a little too tired to go into it, but a pretty solid thing to eat for breakfast is egg beaters. They are eggs without the cholesterol, fat, and calories while also retaining their protein. A lot of breakfast foods (pancakes, cereal, waffles) are straight carbs which also happen to just go straight through you. Eating a lot of protein will help stave off hunger. Chicken breasts are also low in calories and high in protein.

Even if you have to cut out a lot of crap food to lose the weight, just remember that it's much easier to maintain weight than it is to lose it. You'll be able to eat fun stuff again without gaining as long as you exercise regularly. What I'm trying to say here is that losing weight makes your menu pretty boring for a period of time, but you'll be able to eat tasty food again in moderation once you've reached your desired weight (so don't think "omg this is totally unsustainable, I'd rather be overweight")

Just remember not to starve yourself because if you do your body will hold on to your fat cells while eating muscle cells. Your body unfortunately isn't as smart as your brain, and will go into self-preservation-mode if you try to brute force your way to weight loss. Burn more calories than you take in (running will be really good for you), but don't under eat so much that your body thinks it has to save itself. Slow and steady; you'll get where you want to be if you just keep at it. GL!

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 06:06 AM ----------

Poultry is a very lean type of meat, and generally a very healthy choice. Barring a discussion about mercury and "bad" fats, catfish is still a low calorie way to get protein in you. I'd say go for it.
    There is nothing wrong with whole eggs.
    There is no such thing as starvation mode, but yes he will lose more muscle the lower amount of calories that he eat.

TS, you dont have to eat breakfast if you dont want to.

There is nothing wrong with whole eggs.
    There is no such thing as starvation mode, but yes he will lose more muscle the lower amount of calories that he eat.

TS, you dont have to eat breakfast if you dont want to.
    It's possible you don't know which thread you're in, but he's trying to lose weight. Cutting calories wherever possible is the goal. With egg beaters you can eat the equivalent of 8 eggs for 200 calories if you really wanted to. I don't have the box in front of me, but it's like 1/4 of the calories. If you eat too little, your body absolutely eats muscle while storing fat. Not sure what you're arguing with there. Not eating breakfast has been proven over and over scientifically to be detrimental to just about everything, including weight loss.

If you have some tips for him, feel free to give them. Don't just take pot shots at other posts though.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-05 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    It's possible you don't know which thread you're in, but he's trying to lose weight. Cutting calories wherever possible is the goal. With egg beaters you can eat the equivalent of 8 eggs for 200 calories if you really wanted to. I don't have the box in front of me, but it's like 1/4 of the calories. If you eat too little, your body absolutely eats muscle while storing fat. Not sure what you're arguing with there. Not eating breakfast has been proven over and over scientifically to be detrimental to just about everything, including weight loss.

If you have some tips for him, feel free to give them. Don't just take pot shots at other posts though.
    Guess you're living in the past, because intermittent fasting is great, and you dont eat breakfast there.
    You DO NOT need breakfast in your diet.

And yes, obviously only eating the egg white has less calories, but the whole egg is better to eat.
    The yolk is half the protein along with healthy fats.

Went from 85-75 on diet alone in around 4 months. After that I packed on some muscle (not a ton but a good number) and leaned out.

Veggies and chicken every night for dinner. Every night. Skipped breakfast and just had lunch/dinner (lean gains style).

Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Guess you're living in the past, because intermittent fasting is great, and you dont eat breakfast there.
    You DO NOT need breakfast in your diet.

And yes, obviously only eating the egg white has less calories, but the whole egg is better to eat.
    The yolk is half the protein along with healthy fats.
    If I don't have breakfast, I don't function, period.

And I've gotten rid of eating premade biscuits (Jimmy Dean I think? 412 calories or so) for breakfast, I just have eggs, and ham, occasionally I'll have it in a tortilla.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic