Thread: Losing Weight

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Losing Weight

Hey there, here soon I'm going to be trying to lose some weight.
    My current weight is 228 pounds (103 kg) and I stand an even 6 feet 0 inches tall. (182.88 cm). I am 17, turning 18 in February, so wanted to get my weight under control or starting to at least, when I hit adulthood.

My target weight, by February if possible, is below 205 pounds.

Now my first question is, is it possible to reach my target goal healthily, or is it an unreasonable goal?

Second, I don't have access to a gym, but I live on 2.5 acres of land so I could find some area to run.

Does anyone have some tips that would help me lose weight and possibly reach my target goal within or close to the time frame I've set?

If you need more information, let me know, and I'll try and answer as best as I can.

Some things I do have:
    -Jump Rope (really about it)

We just moved, so we don't have our bench press or other weights yet, as there is no room currently do to unpacking boxes and what not.

Thanks - Hastings

Edit: Also some dietary tips would be wonderful, currently I eat a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit every morning (https://jimmydean.com/products/biscu...a-biscuit.aspx), for lunch I unfortunately, have the school lunch which is Pizza and Fries (they do have salads, and some fruit and vegetables, but to be honest, after eating solely organic vegetables/fruits for the last 5 years I can't eat the ones the school provides due to taste issues), and dinner is almost always a relatively healthy meal prepared by my mom (my sister has celiac, so typically I just eat what she eats since my mom only makes one meal for dinner).
    Last edited by Hastings; 2012-11-15 at 03:40 AM.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

Try to drink 8 full glasses of water a day (avoid ice tea and sodas), cut carbs (eat granola and whole grains) and high sodium foods. Of course no sweets, but eat healthy protein (almonds, chicken, turkey, pork chops). But make sure you try to sweat off a lot with cardio exercise, or you can try to replace fat with muscle, although you might find it harder to reach your weight goal.
    Last edited by ares1023; 2012-11-15 at 03:46 AM.
    "Too Black for the White kids and too White for the Blacks" - Earl Sweatshirt
    "Any man dies with a clean sword, I'll rape his f***ing corpse!" - Sandor Clegane

Quote Originally Posted by ares1023 View Post
    Try to drink 8 full glasses of water a day, cut carbs (eat granola and whole grains) and high sodium foods. Of course no sweets, but eat healthy protein (almonds, chicken, turkey, pork chops). But make sure you try to sweat off a lot with cardio exercise, or you can try to replace fat with muscle, although you might find it harder to reach your weight goal.
    Forgot to add, the only liquid I drink is water (can't stand the taste of all soda except Sprite, and only get that when dining out), and I do try and drink as much water as possible, going through at least more than 8 full glasses a day is very easy for me.

I think my largest issues are what I eat for lunch, and lack of exercise.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Hey there, here soon I'm going to be trying to lose some weight.
    My current weight is 228 pounds (103 kg) and I stand an even 6 feet 0 inches tall. (182.88 cm). I am 17, turning 18 in February, so wanted to get my weight under control or starting to at least, when I hit adulthood.

My target weight, by February if possible, is below 205 pounds.

Now my first question is, is it possible to reach my target goal healthily, or is it an unreasonable goal?

Second, I don't have access to a gym, but I live on 2.5 acres of land so I could find some area to run.

Does anyone have some tips that would help me lose weight and possibly reach my target goal within or close to the time frame I've set?

If you need more information, let me know, and I'll try and answer as best as I can.

Some things I do have:
    -Jump Rope (really about it)

We just moved, so we don't have our bench press or other weights yet, as there is no room currently do to unpacking boxes and what not.

Thanks - Hastings

Edit: Also some dietary tips would be wonderful, currently I eat a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit every morning (https://jimmydean.com/products/biscu...a-biscuit.aspx), for lunch I unfortunately, have the school lunch which is Pizza and Fries (they do have salads, and some fruit and vegetables, but to be honest, after eating solely organic vegetables/fruits for the last 5 years I can't eat the ones the school provides due to taste issues), and dinner is almost always a relatively healthy meal prepared by my mom (my sister has celiac, so typically I just eat what she eats since my mom only makes one meal for dinner).
    Since you don't seem to care about muscle mass at all (nor could you do much about it with no gym), just run 30 mins to 60 mins a day and eat 1500-2000 calories a day and you will easily hit your target weight. Also, organic shit does not taste different than nonorganic shit. Vegetables you find at lunchrooms tend to be of a lower grade than organic but you can buy good tasting regular food. Organic has never been shown to be at all healthier. And if you cannot stomach bad tasting food for purposes of dieting, I question your resolve.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-15 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Since you don't seem to care about muscle mass at all (nor could you do much about it with no gym), just run 30 mins to 60 mins a day and eat 1500-2000 calories a day and you will easily hit your target weight.
    I would start out by walking at a brisk pace for 30-60 minutes per day. Yes, it does work just as well.

"You know your good when you feel the need to make fun of people in heroics, Tough guy."

Since you don't seem to care about muscle mass at all (nor could you do much about it with no gym), just run 30 mins to 60 mins a day and eat 1500-2000 calories a day and you will easily hit your target weight. Also, organic shit does not taste different than nonorganic shit. Vegetables you find at lunchrooms tend to be of a lower grade than organic but you can buy good tasting regular food. Organic has never been shown to be at all healthier. And if you cannot stomach bad tasting food for purposes of dieting, I question your resolve.
    I must protest, there is a huge taste difference to me when comparing School lunch vegetables/fruits to vegetables/fruits that are organic and freshly picked from a nearby farm. I also never said anything about the health differences between organic and non-organic, but I digress, thank you for the other advice

Anyways, my resolve is solid, I need to lose this weight. I would prefer to be gaining muscle mass, but sadly that isn't an option now.

But the running part sounds good, going to make myself a little track out in one of the fields.

I might add in the jump rope, I think doing double jumps might be beneficial, anyone have experience on this to comment on some of the benefits? (And yes, I can do double jumps, just not that many at once currently since I'm badly out of shape. Played sports all my life until summer after 9th grade, then very little physical activity since, which has caused the weight gain, and muscle loss)
    Last edited by Hastings; 2012-11-15 at 04:01 AM.

Hi,
    I have had 257 lbs at the age of fourteen and now Im at 176 lbs & Im 19. I spent alot of time trying to reach this, I did various sports like alot.. worked out, played tennis, running, swimming etc. Went through crazy diets, fasting and even eating disorder/bulimy.

My point in telling you this is, that I want you not to even try thinking about this obstacle as one of a huge problem. It will destroy you.
    Second, running wont get you anywhere. Well actually it will but it takes alot of time and discipline and doing other sports too with specific diet being the obvious. The key in getting slim is not in physical activity, you can lose weight really fast with smart diet. I dont have alot of time right now to explain this properly, but feel free to send me a PM if you like to, I assure you I know almost everything about food

Also search out "Dukan diet", you can find a solution just there

You will need to lift bro, and watch swifty he is the best warrior

Make your own lunch for school, then you don't have to eat their low-grade vegetables.

High Overlord
    count your calories mang
    I weighed roughly 200 pounds (6 ft tall) before I started preparing for the Air Force. Best suggestion that's been working is keeping track of what you eat. By staying at 2237 calories a day, in the first week you'll notice how many pounds you can drop. 2nd week walk a half miles each day, still staying at 2237. 3rd week eat 2.3k calories while running 1 mile a day. just by doing this I cut off 5-9 pounds a week by increasing the distance substancially and calories minutly. 4th week add upper body workouts, or muscular workouts (push ups, sit ups, crunches and pull ups) to keep your body from getting used to only cardio. do that for 2 weeks, than go back to original.

Don´t eat carbohydrates, that should help

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendance View Post
    Don´t eat carbohydrates, that should help
    Bad advice.
    Not only is it expensive only eating meat and only protein / fats, carbs is good for you.

Are you a beginner to building muscle? In that case you can build abit ( not much ) of muscle even at a caloric deficit, but you will have to lose the weight and then go into a calori surplus if you want to build more muscle.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 02:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ilag View Post
    count your calories mang
    I weighed roughly 200 pounds (6 ft tall) before I started preparing for the Air Force. Best suggestion that's been working is keeping track of what you eat. By staying at 2237 calories a day, in the first week you'll notice how many pounds you can drop. 2nd week walk a half miles each day, still staying at 2237. 3rd week eat 2.3k calories while running 1 mile a day. just by doing this I cut off 5-9 pounds a week by increasing the distance substancially and calories minutly. 4th week add upper body workouts, or muscular workouts (push ups, sit ups, crunches and pull ups) to keep your body from getting used to only cardio. do that for 2 weeks, than go back to original.
    Losing 5-9 pounds a week after losing water weight is not a safe thing to do.
    Recommended to lose is a pound to 2 pounds max, a week.

Edit two: Dont go on any diets.
    Just eat healthy and on a 500 calorie deficit with a brisk walk every day until you can start jogging.

Losing weight is a lifestyle change, you cant go back to old eating habits once you've lost the weight.
    You wont miss the junk food etc after losing the weight, because nothing feels better than being healthy.
    Last edited by Harzaka; 2012-11-25 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Bad advice.
    Not only is it expensive only eating meat and only protein / fats, carbs is good for you.

Are you a beginner to building muscle? In that case you can build abit ( not much ) of muscle even at a caloric deficit, but you will have to lose the weight and then go into a calori surplus if you want to build more muscle.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 02:37 PM ----------

Losing 5-9 pounds a week after losing water weight is not a safe thing to do.
    Recommended to lose is a pound to 2 pounds max, a week.

Edit two: Dont go on any diets.
    Just eat healthy and on a 500 calorie deficit with a brisk walk every day until you can start jogging.

Losing weight is a lifestyle change, you cant go back to old eating habits once you've lost the weight.
    You wont miss the junk food etc after losing the weight, because nothing feels better than being healthy.
    Losing weight is not a lifestyle change. It requires a temporary diet. Once you lose the weight, you need to eat at maintenance. Maintenance will be slightly lower than what you were at when you started losing weight but not too much. As such, it requires a minor lifestyle alteration once you reach your target weight. I went from 300 lbs down to 180 and eat cookies, candy, etc and have kept the weight off for 3 years. I eat less than I use to but I still eat junk. I do agree than losing more than 2 lbs a week is poor form unless you are morbidly obese and it is best to eat healthy but isn't necessary if you learn how to count calories.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-25 at 03:11 PM.

Losing weight is not a lifestyle change. It requires a temporary diet. Once you lose the weight, you need to eat at maintenance. Maintenance will be slightly lower than what you were at when you started losing weight but not too much. As such, it requires a minor lifestyle alteration once you reach your target weight. I went from 300 lbs down to 180 and eat cookies, candy, etc and have kept the weight off for 3 years. I eat less than I use to but I still eat junk. I do agree than losing more than 2 lbs a week is poor form unless you are morbidly obese and it is best to eat healthy but isn't necessary if you learn how to count calories.

Yeah but who the hell wants to count calories their whole life just to eat utter SHIT food.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Yeah but who the hell wants to count calories their whole life just to eat utter SHIT food.
    It isnt hard to count calories once you get use to it. You just estimate. It doesn't require much effort to keep a daily count. Even if I only eat healthy food I gain weight unless I make sure to count calories. And I don't know what you are talking about. Brownies are fucking delicious.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-25 at 03:42 PM.

take dnp for 2 weeks and you will lose 20 lbs.

Couple of quick and really simple tips I give anyone wanting to lose some weight:

1. No extra salt on anything - it literally traps water in your body. Stay away from high sodium foods as well
    2. No more soda at all. Don't care if it's diet, stick to water throughout the day and milk with meals (I like 2%)
    3. Be conscientious of the carbs you're taking in. Those are the hardest for your body to break down
    4. Stay active. Running is great but throw in some push ups, sit ups, cruches, etc. That will get your metabolism crankin 4 days a week min.
    5. Eat small meals. No more eating to get stuffed (I do it too, it's hard not to when the food is awesome). Keep fruit in the house for a snack when you get the munchies.

Those are 5 really easy simplified diet steps that if you follow you WILL lose weight. I hate calorie counting and this always works for me.

We all need cheat days. Allow yourself something that you wouldn't normally eat as a reward, but don't start double-dipping those rewards. "Yesterday I had a pizza as a reward so today I get ice cream" A reward is a reward and shouldn't be one a day. One a week is good and once you get to your goal weight then you have the flexibility to reward yourself more often and reel it in if you start tipping in the wrong direction.

Good luck!

If you have a smart phone look for a calorie counting app just to help you get started and give you an idea of how many calories are in what you eat on a daily basis. Cardio can be boring when you first get started, but wear an Ipod or Mp3 player to keep you distracted. Push-ups and pull-ups are a great way to get started on building muscle if you don't have access to a gym or weights. Pretty obvious that what you eat is quite important.

If you're not sweating, you're not doing it right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiigorag View Post
    If you have a smart phone look for a calorie counting app just to help you get started and give you an idea of how many calories are in what you eat on a daily basis. Cardio can be boring when you first get started, but wear an Ipod or Mp3 player to keep you distracted. Push-ups and pull-ups are a great way to get started on building muscle if you don't have access to a gym or weights. Pretty obvious that what you eat is quite important.

If you're not sweating, you're not doing it right!
    Eh, you dont need to sweat to get a workout. I dont sweat very much unless my heart rate goes above 150.