1. #1

    Randomly spiking to 300 MS on Boss Fights (Just started happening)

    So up until yesterday I have been able to raid without any lag problems that are due to internet connection. I always rock the solid ~40 FPS, but just since I've transferred to Stormreaver (high pop server) from Ner'Zhul (high pop) and started Heart of Fear, my connection has been EXTREMELY spikey. I have run multiple speed tests with different results, but this is the most recent one and it's run to chicago, which is where my server's database or whatever is located: http://www.pingtest.net/result/72299298.png .

    Like it says, I have a B+, for some reason it couldn't measure packet loss though - this is new to me. I moused over it and it said "Java is not installed or enabled on your computer, or firewall blocked this test. I looked a little more into it and saw that Java platform 1.6 and 1.7 are BOTH enabled under my "user tab" but only 1.7 is enabled under "system". Here is a screen shot, I have not tried disabling either yet because I am not sure what it will affect and I don't want to end up doing something I'd regret (kinda a noob to computers).

    Here is a screenshot of the info
    http://i.imgur.com/lBsMv.png

    Anything is helpful, I want to be able to get back to raiding

    thanks!

    EDIT: Realised I didn't allow java to run - regardless, these results don't translate to play. I still spike lag on bosses and its MS lag not FPS lag
    Last edited by Gator; 2012-11-15 at 03:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    So up until yesterday I have been able to raid without any lag problems that are due to internet connection. I always rock the solid ~40 FPS, but just since I've transferred to Stormreaver (high pop server) from Ner'Zhul (high pop) and started Heart of Fear, my connection has been EXTREMELY spikey. I have run multiple speed tests with different results, but this is the most recent one and it's run to chicago, which is where my server's database or whatever is located: http://www.pingtest.net/result/72299298.png .

    Like it says, I have a B+, for some reason it couldn't measure packet loss though - this is new to me. I moused over it and it said "Java is not installed or enabled on your computer, or firewall blocked this test. I looked a little more into it and saw that Java platform 1.6 and 1.7 are BOTH enabled under my "user tab" but only 1.7 is enabled under "system". Here is a screen shot, I have not tried disabling either yet because I am not sure what it will affect and I don't want to end up doing something I'd regret (kinda a noob to computers).

    Here is a screenshot of the info
    http://i.imgur.com/lBsMv.png

    Anything is helpful, I want to be able to get back to raiding

    thanks!

    EDIT: Realised I didn't allow java to run - regardless, these results don't translate to play. I still spike lag on bosses and its MS lag not FPS lag


    Speed test seems good. 70ms , 900Miles away. From that I can tell u that u either live on the east or west coast.

    I don't see anything relevant between bosses/raiding and ping in wow.

    A couple things u should look into:

    1) Add wow to your hp program or antivirus/firewall. Add both the wow.exe and wow64.exe to the trusted list.
    2) Be sure you don't have enabled use ipv6 whenever possible in wow network options.
    3) If you have a router do a reset and reconfigure it from scratch. If you're on wireless try connecting directly to your router/modem and test.
    4) Are you sharing your connection? Are you downloading or streaming while playing wow or raiding?

    Lastly check with your isp.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-11-16 at 02:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Speed test seems good. 70ms , 900Miles away. From that I can tell u that u either live on the east or west coast.

    I don't see anything relevant between bosses/raiding and ping in wow.

    A couple things u should look into:

    1) Add wow to your hp program or antivirus/firewall. Add both the wow.exe and wow64.exe to the trusted list.
    2) Be sure you don't have enabled use ipv6 whenever possible in wow network options.
    3) If you have a router do a reset and reconfigure it from scratch. If you're on wireless try connecting directly to your router/modem and test.
    4) Are you sharing your connection? Are you downloading or streaming while playing wow or raiding?

    Lastly check with your isp.
    11 Ms of jitter, ouch I have 20Mbps download and 0.9 Mbps upload from Ny to London 2ms Jitter. jitter is the variation in the time between packets arriving, caused by network congestion, timing drift, or route changes. A jitter buffer can be used to handle jitter. @ 11ms your variation is quite larger between packets, this can cause confusion and slow downs on both ends, its basically your internet is making your data sound like someone mumbling across the hall rather than speaking clearly.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,668
    Oh look out 300ms the world is going to end... Welcome to what every Aussie raids at. All the time.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Oh look out 300ms the world is going to end... Welcome to what every Aussie raids at. All the time.
    Definitely not, and if your raiding at that you really may want to stop gimping your guild.

  6. #6
    I've been getting this too lately and so have a few friends. I don't think it's a connection problem(for me at least). I'm going to start looking at other factors today or tomorrow. I'm on a 100mb connection and usually clock around 120mb and as you can see below my connection is pretty good.

    WoW - Windrunner: Snozzberries, Googs, Boryndon, Corndizzle, Kaylin, Georgejetson, Lentis, Knerd, Durlen, Marlevon


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •