Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Trapped in Blizzard bureaucracy

So my wife and I enjoys to play the game. She is usually just enjoying herself, farming and doing dailies. Whilst i like to raid.

Yesterday, both her and mine account were suspended without any reason whatsoever, That was 5-10 min before raid time. I was on a laptop in a hotel
    and totally stressed out over having to get the cd keys ect within minutes.

I managed to reset my password and can now play again. She dosent speak english so well, so she tried to also reset her password but she couldnt remember the answer to the secret question, and suddenly it says to many attempts and the account is now locked.

Even though they can clearly see its the same card that pays for both account, they want us to scan a copy of a driver license and answer all the secret questions that none of us can remember what we wrote when we created the account years ago.

I tried the "send a scan og a driver license" before. And next I had to take a photo of the actually game and send them that.

Granted, we should remember the answers to the secret question, but.... Now we are forced to close the account. We dont really want to level a character to level 90 again.

I can understand if there was something suspicious. but this was a problem blizzard suddenly created. We have the full name, adress. We can phone them,
    we know every detail of the creditcard numer that also pays for the other account the tickets have been made from. Yet, its not enough...

Its really really annoying suddenly out of the blue having to spend so much time on this, and now it seems we are locked and must give up the account.
    Dont know if we will be able to close the account when they wont allow us to log in, so probably just have to talk to creditcard handler to stop payments.

have you actually phoned customer support?

thats usually the best thing to do
    <insert witty signature here>

if you didnt do anything wrong, blizzard will get you back in game. even if you sometimes have to sift through some horrible cs reps before you get one that will help you. if they will not... well good job getting caught doing whatever you got caught doing.

In regards to your secret question I forgot my secret question awhile ago alll I did to resolve it was send them a copy of my passport and they changed the secret question for me, you can probably do the same. So hopefully you wont be forced to close the account.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
    I can understand if there was something suspicious. but this was a problem blizzard suddenly created. We have the full name, adress. We can phone them,
    we know every detail of the creditcard numer that also pays for the other account the tickets have been made from. Yet, its not enough...
    I know this might not seem terribly important to you right now but consider the other end of the stick.

You are talking about information that someone with a little effort could obtain about you over a period of time and then claim to be you gaining access to your account.

It's meant to be difficult. If you make a mistake when following their procedures such as forget the answer to a question you set up then Blizzard SHOULD be suspicious and make you jump through more hoops.

Personally I do not want you to make a complaint that then leads to this policy being relaxed thereby increasing the chances of other peoples accounts being compromised.

Above said, play the game, give them the info they want, which if you are really the owner you should have, and you will get back your stuff.

This sounds like more blizzard stupidity.
    I got my account shutdown perhaps 4-5 times in 2 weeks, just because i logged in, on my friends computer 3-4 kilometers from my home.
    Also had the same trouble as your wife did, couldnt recall my secret password, and i really cba'ed mailing a copy of my passport.
    So i just send alot of e-mails, and most of them said the same bullcrap. (send a picture id along with your original wow copy).
    Until one nice gm helped. I think i wrote maybe 7-8 e-mail during a afternoon, mostly about the same problem. And me bitching ...
    But this guy helped me, and after i talked to him i had my account back after 10 mins.
    So your options is.
    A. Send alot of e-mail explaining (the same stuff). U share the credit card, u have mailed driver's licence, and u have played this game for so long, so you will be damned long before u make a new account.
    B. Call them, explain, get pissed!.
    C. Roll over and make a new account.

All I can is keep trying. One CS rep is different from another. I had some problem as well with my account getting hacked it had an authenticator attached to it. I can't remember what I said but the first cs rep asked for alot of crap so I tried again and the second guy just removed it just like that after I gave the same info to both.

This feature some of the posters are referring to as "stupid", is actually something that should have been implemented a loooong time ago.

What you don't get is that it prevents a hacker (which is not the correct word, I'd say someone who exploits other people's stupidity) from taking over the account.

There's only one help - when asked for YOUR SECRET QUESTION, that you know you WILL be asked, when something similar happens, you better select something you know you will remember anytime (like in my case, name of my elementary school - not some bullshit like "my favourite food").

I get my account locked everytime I use someone else's machine, and unlocking it is a matter of a minute.

OR you can be like any other retarded-asshole-customer nowadays and get mad at them for your own fault.

All those things - secret questions, locking an account when you log from a different IP, etc. etc. - are there for a reason... a good reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    This feature some of the posters are referring to as "stupid", is actually something that should have been implemented a loooong time ago.

What you don't get is that it prevents a hacker (which is not the correct word, I'd say someone who exploits other people's stupidity) from taking over the account.

There's only one help - when asked for YOUR SECRET QUESTION, that you know you WILL be asked, when something similar happens, you better select something you know you will remember anytime (like in my case, name of my elementary school - not some bullshit like "my favourite food").

I get my account locked everytime I use someone else's machine, and unlocking it is a matter of a minute.

OR you can be like any other retarded-asshole-customer nowadays and get mad at them for your own fault.

All those things - secret questions, locking an account when you log from a different IP, etc. etc. - are there for a reason... a good reason.
    Indeed, this is tons of magnitude more serious than WoW probably but it should help the point that company security policies are there for a reason.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...n-hacking/all/

You can use your mobile phone to unlock your account instead of the Secret Answer or the CD-Key. My account gets locked whenever I log-in from a different PC, but unlocking it only requires my password and a code sent to my phone. Simple, but you will have to activate this feature once your account gets unlocked

For now, email them the documentation that they are asking for, it doesn't take long. But their response might take a day.

Deleted
    As usual when people complain about Blizzard we're clearly not getting the whole story here. Why were you at a hotel instead of at home? Are you on the run from the law? Add the fact that your wife can't speak english well to the equation and the conclusion is there's clearly trafficking going on here. You can't seriously expect Blizzard to endorse that? Yeah, call customer service but don't expect them to unlock your account until you've turned yourself in to the authorities.

Unacceptable. Be polite
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-15 at 02:22 PM.

And this is why you write down the info you need incase something like this happens there no excuse for atleast writeing it down your fault not blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    I know this might not seem terribly important to you right now but consider the other end of the stick.

You are talking about information that someone with a little effort could obtain about you over a period of time and then claim to be you gaining access to your account.

It's meant to be difficult. If you make a mistake when following their procedures such as forget the answer to a question you set up then Blizzard SHOULD be suspicious and make you jump through more hoops.

Personally I do not want you to make a complaint that then leads to this policy being relaxed thereby increasing the chances of other peoples accounts being compromised.

Above said, play the game, give them the info they want, which if you are really the owner you should have, and you will get back your stuff.
    ^This. This man has sense. Exactly my thoughts on this situation. A lot of people cry about procedures but forget how much it benefits you when someone is trying to steal your account.

I was once got hacked where my secrent answer and question was changed from within battlenet. No idea how hackers could do that. But i had to end up making a brand new battlenet account when I told Blizzard and they helped transfer my account to my new battlenet email.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call Blizzard. Discuss it with them. Personally, I've never had to give the answers to my questions (but I do remember them), since I was, over the phone, able to give enough information that I got my access restored when it was locked once. Just make the call.

Deleted
    Tnx for the helpful input guys. The problem is now solved and ive added sms protection to the accounts.

Your accounts were not suspended, they were security locked as you logged in from the hotel. Did you login to your wife's account as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Call Blizzard. Discuss it with them. Personally, I've never had to give the answers to my questions (but I do remember them), since I was, over the phone, able to give enough information that I got my access restored when it was locked once. Just make the call.
    I agree. The two times in 7 years my account was locked, I just called and gave them my information. Also helps that I have all my info locked into an App on my Samsung GS3 behind a password. Blizz is very understanding over the phone and can fix stuff in 10-30 mins depending on the wait. I've only ever had to call twice, but the second time I am glad I did cause my account had just been jacked in China and an alt on 22 diff pvp realms was adv gold under my name. I've since deleted all those toons, changed my PW, and added the Android authenticator from the Google Play store onto my phone for free. Typing the extra code is a hassle, but it is definitely a hassle I am willing to work with

Do you normally play for a Hotel? Sometimes Blizzard will lock an account just because the account is suddenly using a different IP address, then you normally play from. From what I can tell, they have just frozen the account because of that.

At the end of the day, all you have to do is call them. Blizzard's phone support is great, I have had to deal with them on a hand full of occasion, and never had a complaint. (Except for a 55 minute wait time to speak to someone..) I don't think you have anything to worry about, just call them and discuss the situation and tell them the truth.

Example. I use to dual box, and had one account "suspended." I received an email saying that the account had perm banned for "suspicious" activity. I read the email, and moved on just playing the other account I had. 3 years later I wanted to play one of the characters on the banned account, so I gave Blizzard a call. They just said they banned the account because there was a sudden change in the IP address one day, so they locked it until you called in to fix the issue. I gave them my full legal name and address and the account was back into my control again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
    So my wife and I enjoys to play the game. She is usually just enjoying herself, farming and doing dailies. Whilst i like to raid.

Yesterday, both her and mine account were suspended without any reason whatsoever, That was 5-10 min before raid time. I was on a laptop in a hotel
    and totally stressed out over having to get the cd keys ect within minutes.

I managed to reset my password and can now play again. She dosent speak english so well, so she tried to also reset her password but she couldnt remember the answer to the secret question, and suddenly it says to many attempts and the account is now locked.

Even though they can clearly see its the same card that pays for both account, they want us to scan a copy of a driver license and answer all the secret questions that none of us can remember what we wrote when we created the account years ago.

I tried the "send a scan og a driver license" before. And next I had to take a photo of the actually game and send them that.

Granted, we should remember the answers to the secret question, but.... Now we are forced to close the account. We dont really want to level a character to level 90 again.

Its really really annoying suddenly out of the blue having to spend so much time on this, and now it seems we are locked and must give up the account.
    Dont know if we will be able to close the account when they wont allow us to log in, so probably just have to talk to creditcard handler to stop payments.
    Blizzard had everyone change there secert answer maybe 2 - 3 months ago, how could you forget it already it should be made something you will remember or write down somewhere that isn't on your computer.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    As as already been pointed out OP, call Blizzard and politely explain the situation with them.