Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Is arms spec worth playing now?

    Hi
    My guild says fury is doing much more dps than arms, as I see also in raidbots and world of logs
    The only fight that arms was better was garalon, but after the hotfix arms isn't significantly better
    so any of you guys think there is a reason to play arms for heroic progress or better to gem mostly crit and go fury?(current i'm gemmed strengh mostly- for arms)
    Last edited by Biggyeu; 2012-11-15 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Arms is not that bad, is just about the potential that fury has with better gears , and even with arms you need to gem crit or crit+str , mortal strike and colossus smash crits enrages you in arms but the message that i wanna pass to you is:
    if you want a sustained dps in overall fights and a good clave damage go for arms, if you want a great burst and a dps that really depends on your lucky on crits go fury.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

    Problem with fury for me is the sequences that you pass waiting cause you don't crit bt and you already used berserker rage lol

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans xebtria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bloody ol' Germany
    Posts
    2,935
    considering you have weapon(s) that are one "tier" of itemlevel over the rest of what you have (e.g. 489, and the rest is 463 blues):
    if it's one or two 1h: fury SMF
    if it's one 2h: arms
    if it's two 2h: fury TG

    if you have 2 2h and 2 1h of same itemlevel: fury SMF should be highest.

  4. #4
    Its up to you really.
    Despite fury beating arms in all fights except stone guards and garalon (not sure now after hotfix) i prefer playing arms as i find it more fun then fury, ive pved as arms since 2009 and have no plans to change to fury regardless. Just play what you find fun as long as you dont fall so behind in dps that its detrimental to your guilds progression.

    Btw for arms you still gem crit.

  5. #5
    I'm getting a little frustrated with Arms. The DPS is so low, I'm constantly on the bottom of the charts in my raid. It's hard to get used to Fury considering Bloodthirst and Wild Strike both hit like a wet napkins, and I hate those dry periods with no Enrage. So boring. With Arms, there's a hard-hitting ability you can use all the time. There is no idle time like with Fury.

    Plus, getting two weapons is next to impossible in this tier.

  6. #6
    you guys tell to a hotfix.. what hotfix ? i can't find it on mmo..

  7. #7
    I pulled more on Stoneguard with SMF 489/476 Elegions than Arms with a 463, so Arms isn't the best cleave spec no matter what. I find Arms, specifically Taste for Blood, to be very very annoying. I'll see if I can L2P Arms again once I get a good 2H (N Starshatter or LFR Shin'ka with a gem or N Shin'ka).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    “When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, 'It's not the days that are old, it's you that's old.' I hate the good old days. What is important is that today is good.”
    ― Karl Lagerfeld
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

  8. #8
    High Overlord Furypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden. Just outside Stockholm
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    I'm getting a little frustrated with Arms. The DPS is so low, I'm constantly on the bottom of the charts in my raid. It's hard to get used to Fury considering Bloodthirst and Wild Strike both hit like a wet napkins, and I hate those dry periods with no Enrage. So boring. With Arms, there's a hard-hitting ability you can use all the time. There is no idle time like with Fury.

    Plus, getting two weapons is next to impossible in this tier.
    1. Arms is not low, it's worse than fury on most fights but it's far from low. I am going to guess that you are bad at it.

    2. It is not that hard to get 2x 2 or 1 handers this tier, there are 1handers from Elegon, Ambershaper and sha of fear (if you clear all of them on normal you have 6 shots each week of getting atleast 1x 1hander plus you have 3 gold coins to roll with.)

    There are 2x 2 handers from Elegon and Sha of fear, 5 weapons all in all, with lfr and normal mode it should be easy to get your hands on them within a month.
    Furypie Arms/Fury warrior armory

    World of logs parses

    http://www.youtube.com/user/akamikeb?feature=g-user-u akaMikeb awesomest youtube gamer/reviewer out there. (it is not me)

  9. #9
    Arms is a great spec to play. Not only is Arms competitive on most fights for DPS but it is a very interactive and decision based game-play style. The forums would need to see logs to better understand why you are not competitive with your raid in DPS. When you are talking about being competitive in raid DPS situations it can be the littlest things that increases your DPS those last few thousand to make you competitive.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Furypie View Post
    1. Arms is not low, it's worse than fury on most fights but it's far from low. I am going to guess that you are bad at it.
    If you're topping rogues, mages, DKs, warlocks, or hunters as Arms, then your DPSers are really, really bad. Arms is simply not one of the top 8 DPS specs right now on any single target encounter. Logs and parses support this universally.

    EDIT: Here's how it breaks down on World of Logs:

    MSV:

    Feng: 3 in the top 400
    Garaj: 2 in the top 400
    Spirit Kings: 1 in the top 400
    Elegon: 1 in the top 400
    Emperor: 1 in the top 400

    HOF/Terrace:

    Imperial Vizier: 6 in the top 400
    Blade Lord: 14 in the top 400 (due to Execute phase)
    Wind Lord: 0 in the top 400
    Amber Shaper: 3 in the top 400
    Empress: 7 in the top 400
    Protector: 0 in the top 400

    Plenty of Fury warriors though. Imo for a guild concerned solely with PvE progression, it is unwise to play Arms, because it's simply outclassed by almost every other DPS spec in the game.
    Last edited by Accaris; 2012-11-15 at 05:40 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    If you're topping rogues, mages, DKs, warlocks, or hunters as Arms, then your DPSers are really, really bad. Arms is simply not one of the top 8 DPS specs right now on any single target encounter. Logs and parses support this universally.

    EDIT: Here's how it breaks down on World of Logs:

    MSV:

    Feng: 3 in the top 400
    Garaj: 2 in the top 400
    Spirit Kings: 1 in the top 400
    Elegon: 1 in the top 400
    Emperor: 1 in the top 400

    HOF/Terrace:

    Imperial Vizier: 6 in the top 400
    Blade Lord: 14 in the top 400 (due to Execute phase)
    Wind Lord: 0 in the top 400
    Amber Shaper: 3 in the top 400
    Empress: 7 in the top 400
    Protector: 0 in the top 400

    Plenty of Fury warriors though. Imo for a guild concerned solely with PvE progression, it is unwise to play Arms, because it's simply outclassed by almost every other DPS spec in the game.
    Your are making me laugh, have you ever saw simulations, in my char with 482 ilvl with a plenty of annoying haste my arms spec beats fury spec with 2 k dps
    arms - 82k
    fury - 80k

    and arms has a good execute phase due to seasoned soldier which increases the execute by 25 per cent, don't get based by logs you only see mages and locks there.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    If you're topping rogues, mages, DKs, warlocks, or hunters as Arms, then your DPSers are really, really bad. Arms is simply not one of the top 8 DPS specs right now on any single target encounter. Logs and parses support this universally.

    EDIT: Here's how it breaks down on World of Logs:

    MSV:

    Feng: 3 in the top 400
    Garaj: 2 in the top 400
    Spirit Kings: 1 in the top 400
    Elegon: 1 in the top 400
    Emperor: 1 in the top 400

    HOF/Terrace:

    Imperial Vizier: 6 in the top 400
    Blade Lord: 14 in the top 400 (due to Execute phase)
    Wind Lord: 0 in the top 400
    Amber Shaper: 3 in the top 400
    Empress: 7 in the top 400
    Protector: 0 in the top 400

    Plenty of Fury warriors though. Imo for a guild concerned solely with PvE progression, it is unwise to play Arms, because it's simply outclassed by almost every other DPS spec in the game.

    Logs sites are good for a reference but are not the holy grail of understanding DPS in relation to other classes. Always remember people have to upload to data for it to be recorded. I looked at the #400 on each of the LFR encounters listed above and I've seen plenty of people including myself (I'm Arms) top those numbers.

    Edit: Also you see mainly Fury spec in the Top 400 because Fury is statisically the better warrior DPS spec for raids at the moment. Many people will play what is mathmatically the best DPS spec that does not mean that Arms is a poor DPS choice. It just means Fury is capable of producing more DPS.
    Last edited by maccaruso; 2012-11-15 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Addendum

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaruso View Post
    LFR encounters .
    Strongly doubt anyone looks at those.

  14. #14
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,782
    You could play it if you really wanted to, does good on a few fights. But I couldn't stand the rage generation, it's terrible.
    You get a thumbs up, pat on the back and a "way to go" from your label every day, looking boy
    Hey, looking boy, what you say looking boy? I get a "hell yeah" from Dre, looking boy
    I work for everything I have, never asked nobody for shit. Get outta my face, looking boy


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    If you're topping rogues, mages, DKs, warlocks, or hunters as Arms, then your DPSers are really, really bad. Arms is simply not one of the top 8 DPS specs right now on any single target encounter. Logs and parses support this universally.

    EDIT: Here's how it breaks down on World of Logs:

    MSV:

    Feng: 3 in the top 400
    Garaj: 2 in the top 400
    Spirit Kings: 1 in the top 400
    Elegon: 1 in the top 400
    Emperor: 1 in the top 400

    HOF/Terrace:

    Imperial Vizier: 6 in the top 400
    Blade Lord: 14 in the top 400 (due to Execute phase)
    Wind Lord: 0 in the top 400
    Amber Shaper: 3 in the top 400
    Empress: 7 in the top 400
    Protector: 0 in the top 400

    Plenty of Fury warriors though. Imo for a guild concerned solely with PvE progression, it is unwise to play Arms, because it's simply outclassed by almost every other DPS spec in the game.
    While fury is better in many situations it's not in all and also depends a lot on your gear etc. The guy you're quoting has several top 10 rankings as arms and is even the #1 arms warrior on 10 man on one of the fights you quote. I'm sure he would do more dps as fury with blue weapons then as arms with a normal starshatter... oh wait he wouldn't.

    In many cases Fury>Arms, but if you're good at arms and don't have the weapons for fury you can definatly still pull good numbers as arms.

  16. #16
    I switch around and play both dps specs and will say that Fury pulls ahead
    as long as you know what you're doing. the differences I saw were probably around
    3k-5k dps on average, but you should probably just play whats more comfortable to you.
    In the long run, the spec you are more comfortable with (unless you can play both)
    is the spec that will do more dps for you until you learn how to play the other one.
    Although I will say this though, I enjoy DPSing as Arms more than Fury even if Fury pulls ahead.

  17. #17
    Stood in the Fire Fog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alsvåg
    Posts
    463
    I've played both specs and although I did higher as fury my overall experience were terrible. I play a warrior to have no down time. The fact that you NEED to crit in order to get enraged to be able to use your most important ability is somewhat stupid. If you're unlucky, which you most ofte are with 20-25% crit, you wind up spamming Heroic Strike as fury. Rage regeneration is nice though, as SMF you get plenty of rage, and HS actually does viable damage.

    However, I find arms more fluent and versatile, more stable dps overall. I play as arms in my raids simply because I enjoy it. The difference between arms and fury is minimal with the exact same gear and skillset, so just stick with what you want, honestly.

    Side note: I usually top charts in my raid, not because the others are bad, but because I enjoy the spec alot and am good at my class.
    Don't always go for what you see and hear, test things out and see for yourself.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    My Stream

  18. #18
    im not sure whether to go fury myself, i'm really loving the play style for arms, and consistency should always be valued above wild rng (which may also the reason WoL has fury higher) im 2nd best dps in my guild, i doubt im going to beat our fire mage in either spec.

    also people who say 'gem crit as arms' ever used simcraft? if str = 1, crit = 0.31 last i checked. so no... gemming crit isnt for arms.

    edit: forget that, just re-simmed, and the 10 i-level ive gained has meant that i now have a crit value of 0.53 to str's 1. did not expect that.
    also simmed personal arms vs fury dps, and with my lfr oh i would lose 2k dps, even if i got normal mode oh i would lose almost 500.
    looks like im sticking arms
    Last edited by Damosapien; 2012-11-16 at 05:07 PM.
    Damosapien - DPS(whatever spec is better in that teir)/prot Warrior http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...apien/advanced
    Damodrood - Resto/feral(hybrid) Druid http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...drood/advanced
    Damoo - Blood/frost Death knight http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Damoo/simple

  19. #19
    Unfortunately, this is how it goes:

    1) If you are the type of person that wants to maximize their dps in every which way or form possible and are very anal about needing to be #1 to increase your self-worth, then sure, going fury from arms will probably gain you some more dps.

    2) If you are experiencing bad dps from arms, going to fury isn't going to change a damn thing cause its not the spec that's the problem in this scenario.

    pick one, done.

  20. #20
    Arms is probably very strong spec in raids but I just cant make myself play it cause it got utterly destroyed when pre mop patch hit,before that arms was perfect,now its just horrid unfun spec to play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •