Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oppie View Post
    well that is nice but I guess it has more to do with timing and location

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 10:44 AM ----------

Plz stop with this draining the rich stuff, at no time in my or yours, or your kids life time will these well to do rich ppl be bled dry of all there money.

And no time in my life till now the takers where in a position to outnumber the makers. When you reach that tipping point it will be the snow ball effect and there will be no stopping it. when the takers become the majority they will always vote into office the ones how keep promising more and more

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what your point is, however I am going to take a wild stab here and say that the answer you are looking for is:

"It is a result of a vast conspiracy run by the puppetmaster Obama to win the election through fake data so he can usher in a new era of Socialcommunfascimarxism."
    I hired two more people... it doesn't take many people like me to make that difference happen. lol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I think the idea is not to enact a new type of "Jim Crow" laws. Everything sounds good in theory, but in practice government should be set up in such a way that its powers are limited, at least that's the idea behind the American system of government.

Also, on the whole rights topic, I know it's just George Carlin getting a laugh, but whether or not you agree that they're rights, people who live in the country are guaranteed those rights by the laws they live under.

edit: also I wish people would stop this whole "Akin said idiotic things and thus all Republicans are a bunch of idiots who believe that" nonsense. It's just disgraceful to put up a straw man that flimsy, at least use a little twine or something.
    Last edited by Jagscorpion; 2012-11-16 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    And Obama spent his entire campaign blaming Bush (even after the Dem's had full control for two years) while, at the same time, saying the best thing we could all do was look forward to the future.

Tell me that isn't a bit of a double-standard?

A few points you should consider, but probably wont.

1. Obama, during an interview, said he didn't have the power to institute the Dream Act without legislative approval.
    2. Obama then did exactly what he said he couldn't, granting millions of illegal immigrants the right to stay in the US.

And you're going to tell me that's not a "gift?"
    So are you willing to say that if Romney won its because he promised gifts to the rich, big oil, super large corp and ceo's? you act as if obama is the first and only politician to say vote for me if you want x.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    We can have Voter ID the moment voting is not controlled by politicians.
    I think voter ID is a fine idea.

I'm just strongly against voter ID schemes that are highly selective about what constitutes valid identification.

For example, here in Canada, valid ID is:

Driver's license or provincial or territorial ID card

2 pieces of authorized identification (listed below) with your name and one must also have your address

Health Card
    Canadian Passport
    Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Citizenship Card)
    Birth Certificate
    Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
    Social Insurance Number Card
    Old Age Security Card
    Student ID Card
    Provincial/Territorial Identification Card
    Liquor Identification Card
    Hospital/Medical Clinic Card
    Credit/Debit Card
    Employee Card
    Public Transportation Card
    Library Card
    Canadian Forces Identity Card
    Veterans Affairs Canada Health Card
    Canadian Blood Services/Héma-Québec Card
    CNIB ID Card
    Firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence or Possession Only Licence
    Fishing, Trapping or Hunting Licence
    Outdoors or Wildlife Card/Licence
    Hospital bracelet worn by residents of long-term care facilities
    Parolee Identification Card
    Utility Bill (telephone, TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas or water)
    Bank/Credit Card Statement
    Vehicle Ownership/Insurance
    Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
    Statement of Government Benefits (employment insurance, old age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
    Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a First Nations band or reserve
    Government Cheque or Cheque Stub
    Pension Plan Statement of Benefits, Contributions or Participation
    Residential Lease/Mortgage Statement
    Income/Property Tax Assessment Notice
    Insurance Policy
    Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
    One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter, soup kitchen, student/senior residence, or long-term care facility: Attestation of Residence, Letter of Stay, Admission Form or Statement of Benefits
    Or someone who can provide said documents for themselves to vouch for you.

I would have voted for him if was handing out ipad minis, those look sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I think voter ID is a fine idea.
    Do politicians control your voting process, or independent agencies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Can you ever get tired of bashing Bush or Romney?

May as well throw in Sarah Palin for good measure...

I dont know, how serious do you want folks to take you?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagscorpion View Post
    I think the idea is not to enact a new type of "Jim Crow" laws. Everything sounds good in theory, but in practice government should be set up in such a way that its powers are limited, at least that's the idea behind the American system of government.

Also, on the whole rights topic, I know it's just George Carlin getting a laugh, but whether or not you agree that they're rights, people who live in the country are guaranteed those rights by the laws they live under.
    It's not really just him getting a laugh. It's absolutely true. When you need your rights the most, the government will just take them away. And if they can take them away, then they're not rights. They're just privileges.

I completely agree that the government should be limited. And that was the founding father's idea. They even said that a two party system was a bad idea. Good thing we listened.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do politicians control your voting process, or independent agencies?
    Federal elections are handled by Elections Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can have Voter ID the moment voting is not controlled by politicians.
    I'd love to have Voter ID... however, every attempt at Voter ID has caused certain members of a certain party to start frothing at the mouth and start babbling about 'voter disenfranchisement, you cant do that, you dont want to bring back poll taxes, its a violation of civil rights'

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And no time in my life till now the takers where in a position to outnumber the makers. When you reach that tipping point it will be the snow ball effect and there will be no stopping it. when the takers become the majority they will always vote into office the ones how keep promising more and more
    If you are talking about the "47%," not all of those are "takers." Many simply pay no income tax thanks to the Bush era tax cuts. Many of the others hit the poverty line thanks to the recession. Even with both of these factors, the number of "takers" (which, again, most are no such thing) rose about 7%. Stop taking data at face value.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I'd love to have Voter ID... however, every attempt at Voter ID has caused certain members of a certain party to start frothing at the mouth and start babbling about 'voter disenfranchisement, you cant do that, you dont want to bring back poll taxes, its a violation of civil rights'
    Because that's what happens when you let politicians run the voting process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what your point is, however I am going to take a wild stab here and say that the answer you are looking for is:

"It is a result of a vast conspiracy run by the puppetmaster Obama to win the election through fake data so he can usher in a new era of Socialcommunfascimarxism."

Why is everyone ignoring that almost 40% of welfare recipients are white?!?
    I said none of that... I simply asked how the predictions were so far off from the actual numbers... thats all.

I looked into it in my state, where there was a ballot initiative for it. I asked around a bit. My grandmother does not have a driver's license or a state ID. In order to get one of those, she needs a birth certificate. The hospital where she was born doesn't exist anymore, so we spent days trying to track down a copy of her birth cert. Then, in order to get the birth cert... guess what? she needs a fucking photo ID. Catch-22 at its best.

So... why don't you want my grandmother to vote?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I looked into it in my state, where there was a ballot initiative for it. I asked around a bit. My grandmother does not have a driver's license or a state ID. In order to get one of those, she needs a birth certificate. The hospital where she was born doesn't exist anymore, so we spent days trying to track down a copy of her birth cert. Then, in order to get the birth cert... guess what? she needs a fucking photo ID. Catch-22 at its best.

In Itasca County in northern MN, it would cost the county about $4M each cycle because so many vote via absentee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, in other words, people bringing up legitimate concerns against voter ID laws. Maybe if you fix those issues you can get past people bringing them up?

The two concepts are related, rights and the limitation of government. Government, at least on a federal level, is supposed to be held in check in such a way that its ability to take away rights is very closely regulated and monitored (think prisons or capital punishment).

To interject a political opinion in the mix, that's part of the reason that I don't like the current administration: (not limited to them) they seem to have decided that many things are "rights" and that the republicans and independents are dead-set against the rights of the people.

I won't give a detailed list of agreement and disagreement for the Romney campaign, but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that many of the policies which seem intended to limit government are somehow targeted at hurting low or mid income people.

edit: man I'll have to post faster or start quoting more, so many posts since I typed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sathnick View Post
    By definition a "minority" won't win you any election...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

I don't mind if people vote. I mind when people who don't know what they're talking about, or racist people vote.

These people who don't want things like gay marriage. Why not? Because YOU believe in this God bullshit and you think everyone should cater to you? How on Earth is that fair? Or a correct mindset? It's fucking stupid is what it is.
    Or people who voted against Obama solely because he's "half-black". These are the people that should not be allowed to have an opinion, because their opinion is fucking stupid.

There just needs to be a better system of "Voter-ID".
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.