View Poll Results: What would you do with Thrall?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thrall as Warchief! Yes, a thousand times yes.

    54 27.69%
  • Thrall as integral part, but NOT as warchief.

    80 41.03%
  • NO! No more Go'el! Begone.

    47 24.10%
  • I'm not sure/I don't care.

    14 7.18%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Its blatantly clear they're setting up Vol'jin to become Warchief.

    I used to like Thrall, a lot.

    Now he just seems to be a deus ex machina for the Horde. "Oh shit, Garrosh is doing bad stuff? Get Thrall! He'll save the day and free the Darkspears!"

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 10:45 AM ----------



    1.) He isn't just a developer. He's the head of the creative development team.

    2.) Nobody calls Varian a Mary Sue because he isn't one. He had character progression. Both in the games and in secondary lore material (The books, the comics, short stories, ect). Thrall has always been the same. They tried to make it seem like they gave him some grand character development with his Cataclysm quest chain, but they really didn't. He's exactly the same at his core, he's just called a different name and isn't leading the Horde any more. Varian goes from being a mediocre King to a Gladiator with Amnesia to a moody King who's inner-being is all screwed up to an awkward father to his son to a fierce warrior to the Alliance to finally a balanced person again. And it didn't take one quest chain to do so. They are all very different incarnations of Varian at the core of his character. And it took multiple expansions for it to happen, it wasn't foisted upon us in one quest chain in one expansion.

    Metzen is Thrall. Thrall is Metzen. Metzen feels like Thrall, Thrall feels like Metzen. Metzen constantly talks about how amazing Thrall is and what he's up to. Varian (And the Alliance as a whole, frankly), are only really talked about when people ask about the obvious factional bias in WoW, and they (The cdevs) put their lobbyist hats on and pretend they are as psyched about the Alliance as they are Horde.

    No offense, but you might want to learn what a Mary Sue character actually is. Just because a character is given large amounts of screen time does not mean they are a Mary Sue.

    Varian came out of a result of a need for an Alliance hero who wasn't sitting on his ass doing nothing (Tyrande, Magni), off given some bogus fake "assignment" that requires their attention (Gelbin), or someone who seems purposefully regulated to a minor character role because Blizzard doesn't know what to do with him (Velen).

    And no, we didn't see as much of Varian as Thrall, because he did not exist as a legitimate character (Not a placeholder character on Alcaz Island) until Wrath. And even in Wrath, he's involved in one quest chain, opposite of Thrall.

    Cataclysm was Thrallaclysm. I don't care what Blizzard tries to convince people of, Thrall is a Horde character. He's always been a Horde character, since his inception. Since Warcraft 3, Frozen Throne, Vanilla, BC, and Wrath. Just because they suddenly remove him from the Horde doesn't mean he's not a Horde character.
    Wise post.

    I agree completely to the obvious facts that you showed in it.

  2. #82
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    The horde needs Thrall, and lorewise its the only one that makes sense after Garrosh.
    Not necessarily. Thrall was more of a moral beacon. Garrosh shows what happens when you don't have that.

    With Vol'jin serving as that role, Thrall is not necessary.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Not necessarily. Thrall was more of a moral beacon. Garrosh shows what happens when you don't have that.

    With Vol'jin serving as that role, Thrall is not necessary.
    Yes it is, the Orc society comes from a tyranny that they just took down, they need a new leader, but they cant risk having another tyrant. Societies int his situation go with familiar things, which in this case is Thrall. He is young, he is a great leader, he is available, and he is very capable of rebuilding the horde ties that were broken all these years. And he has proven to be able to control SYlvannas.

    Again, story wise, the only option that fits is Thrall.

    Even when we know that its Blizzard the one that dictates what the characters do and dont, so they could make any character act like a true leader, from a story point of view, the horde society has no idea how Vol'jin would act, and they cant risk themselves to another failed leader.
    Thrall is the only one that makes sense story wise.

  4. #84
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Not necessarily. Thrall was more of a moral beacon. Garrosh shows what happens when you don't have that.

    With Vol'jin serving as that role, Thrall is not necessary.
    Pretty much all horde needs to know.

    Vol'Jin will be quite interesting indeed .

  5. #85
    The Orcs will get a new leader but I wouldn't bet any money on that leader becoming the leader of the Horde ... Suspect Vol'jin being lined up for that one.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

  6. #86
    Considering the entire warcraft universe, up to this point, has boiled down to "Orcs Vs Humans" I'll be very surprised if a non-Orc is ever the leader of the horde. The more likely scenario is for a new Orc to built up over the course of the expansion or Thrall to retake what he gave to Garrosh.

    Doomhammer EU

  7. #87
    Blizzard has stated several times that they want to keep Warcraft as an Orcs vs Humans oriented, so i'm 99% sure thet the Warchief will be an Orc (i'm leaving the 1% for any evetuallity).

  8. #88
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,375
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Considering the entire warcraft universe, up to this point, has boiled down to "Orcs Vs Humans" I'll be very surprised if a non-Orc is ever the leader of the horde. The more likely scenario is for a new Orc to built up over the course of the expansion or Thrall to retake what he gave to Garrosh.
    there hasn't been a decent new orc thus far in mists thats could stand in such an important role. To build up such a new character we would have seen him already, but at this stage if they did bring a new one in, they'd be pulling such a character out there backsides.
    Garrosh has been floating around in the backstory of warcraft for years since beyond the dark portal was wrote. He only was able to become warcraft after so much time being introduced in tbc, and showing off in wrath. And even with his build up, he turned out to be a failure.

    You can't just introduce a new character at this point in the story and expect people to accept him as the most fundamental character in the hordes story, it would be worse writing then Garrosh's inconsistent story.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 08:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Blizzard has stated several times that they want to keep Warcraft as an Orcs vs Humans oriented, so i'm 99% sure thet the Warchief will be an Orc (i'm leaving the 1% for any evetuallity).
    Metzen himself said this. And there was a blue post on how the next warchief will deal with Sylvanas and her wicked ways, so the mantle of warchief will still be the most important role in the hordes story.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    there hasn't been a decent new orc thus far in mists thats could stand in such an important role. To build up such a new character we would have seen him already, but at this stage if they did bring a new one in, they'd be pulling such a character out there backsides.
    Garrosh has been floating around in the backstory of warcraft for years since beyond the dark portal was wrote. He only was able to become warcraft after so much time being introduced in tbc, and showing off in wrath. And even with his build up, he turned out to be a failure.

    You can't just introduce a new character at this point in the story and expect people to accept him as the most fundamental character in the hordes story, it would be worse writing then Garrosh's inconsistent story.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 08:21 PM ----------



    Metzen himself said this. And there was a blue post on how the next warchief will deal with Sylvanas and her wicked ways, so the mantle of warchief will still be the most important role in the hordes story.
    All I remember is Metzen saying that Thrall would be taking up the mantle of warchief again, but then several blues contradicted the statement (either to try and preserve some sense of tension, or because Blizzard realised it wouldn't be a popular move.). So aside from that potentially outdated statement I haven't seen anything suggesting an orc warchief. Unless Thrall does become warchief again (I personally hope not.), the only credible candidates at this point in the xpac are Baine and Vol'jin.

  10. #90
    I'd prefer Thrall to return as the leader for the Orc part of the Horde but maybe a council or another leader.
    Why not Baine as the leader of the Horde with the other leaders in some sort of a council.

    But I will assume that the Orc leader will be the de facto warchief for the Horde again. I personally am a bit bored of Orcs as a whole really.

    Neither Garrosh nor Thrall are really cut out for it at the moment and unless Blizzard can conjure forth a new orcish leader that fits right in I'd prefer the Horde to rule through a council.

  11. #91
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,119
    Thrall probably will be an advisor.

  12. #92
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Laukkanen View Post

    Neither Garrosh nor Thrall are really cut out for it at the moment and unless Blizzard can conjure forth a new orcish leader that fits right in I'd prefer the Horde to rule through a council.
    I disagree, they simply need to have Thrall step back into a role of leadership for the horde, given his experiences and now having something worth fighting for, he wouldn't want the horde held in a state of constant conflict if his child is set to grow up in that horde. As a father, much like Varian, both characters would want the future assured for there children.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I disagree, they simply need to have Thrall step back into a role of leadership for the horde, given his experiences and now having something worth fighting for, he wouldn't want the horde held in a state of constant conflict if his child is set to grow up in that horde. As a father, much like Varian, both characters would want the future assured for there children.
    LOL, he disagrees!

  14. #94
    By the very fact that in the troll starting area, Vol'Jin mentions he actually hates Garrosh and would like to go into Orgrimmar but doesn't want to because Garrosh is Warchief, most likely if Vol'Jin doesn't die in the last patch he will be warchief.

    Sylvanas as warchief is also a theory, but any sane person knows that's not gonna happen.

    They could also throw in Baine, but I don't see why...

  15. #95
    Pit Lord Sett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gran Pulse
    Posts
    2,290
    I would take Me'dan as Warchief over Thrall at this point.

    4.3 killed any last bits of care I had for Thrall. Too much Metzen is Thrall, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by r03dz View Post
    Also, Jaina and Vereesa going for a rid on their skeleton horses. :P (typo intended)
    Let's look fabulous~. A Paladin transmogrifier item list.

  16. #96
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    I would take Me'dan as Warchief over Thrall at this point.

    4.3 killed any last bits of care I had for Thrall. Too much Metzen is Thrall, etc.
    Metzen voices Varian and develops his character. Are you fed up of Varian too, because if not then your argument is flawed.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  17. #97
    Immortal KrazyK923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Metzen voices Varian and develops his character. Are you fed up of Varian too, because if not then your argument is flawed.
    You ignored my entire post about why Varian is not Thrall.

    I'd guess because it shows how utterly biased you are.

    Technically, your nonsensical argument can be applied to every lore character ever because, as head creative developer, he is behind all the game's lore.

  18. #98
    Pit Lord Sett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gran Pulse
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Metzen voices Varian and develops his character. Are you fed up of Varian too, because if not then your argument is flawed.

    Metzen voices half the shit in this game. Voicing does not equal devotion to a character. And yes, Metzen does work on Varian ( with others ). But if you've paid attention to any of the Blizzcon panels or Metzen in general you'll know Thrall is his special green baby. It's his favorite. Now, that's fine. I just got sick of seeing his favorite hog the stage in 4.3 and the development after.
    Quote Originally Posted by r03dz View Post
    Also, Jaina and Vereesa going for a rid on their skeleton horses. :P (typo intended)
    Let's look fabulous~. A Paladin transmogrifier item list.

  19. #99
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,414
    why did i click on this link, i just knew that i would find trassk in it bad mouthing anyone who disagrees with him...

    on topic, thralls not going to be the warchief, i believe he will serve as some kind of adviser or they will flip the script and make the horde into a council type/heirarchy deal whereas the alliance is going to have a centralized leader
    Last edited by dokilar; 2012-11-17 at 01:03 AM.

  20. #100
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    6,731
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    why did i click on this link, i just knew that i would find trassk in it bad mouthing anyone who disagrees with him...

    on topic, thralls not going to be the warchief, i believe he will serve as some kind of adviser or they will flip the script and make the horde into a council type/heirarchy deal whereas the alliance is going to have a centralized leader
    psh, I'd rather have Thrall as Warchief than Baine or Vol'jin
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •