Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I love you
    Ich liebe dich
    Jeg elsker dig

... I think they are pretty far apart...
    Fairly certain I was joking about the entire thing... I speak rough German, and I actually enjoy the more guttural languages from that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Fairly certain I was joking about the entire thing... I speak rough German, and I actually enjoy the more guttural languages from that part of the world.
    Ofc, nothing more guttural than Russian

Deleted
    I don't know anyone who would be interested about America anymore than any other country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I have never really understood why Non-Americans are so interested in the affairs of our country (USA). Why take so much interest in the United States, and how our political affairs work? I have not a single interest in any other country and how they run it, and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.

I see so much disdain of American lifestyles and politics coming from Non-Americans, and its amazing why they are so enthralled with our country. Are there not better things to do than to follow American Politics and lifestyle? Is there not enough political drama in your own country so you have to go and look for it elsewhere? Are other countries so boring that America is the only place to turn to for entertainment?

Just curious is all.
    I'm not going to go trough every single person's answer but I'm certain someone else already said this.

In all do honesty for exemple most Europeans aren't whatsoever enthralled with your country as you put it. We are worried about you people. And not in a good way. We are worried because you meddle all the freaking time. Maybe the American public as a whole does not give a shit about how other people live their lives (unfortunatly, because if you would maybe you would be less meddlesome) but your politicians sure as hell do meddle all the time.

You spend more money on military affairs then the next twelve countries combined. Hold the biggest nuclear, biological and chemical arsenal in the world. You interfere with the internal politics of countless countries. Depose dictators, just to replace them with an equally big asshole, but one pro U.S. You have over 500 military bases across the globe in foreign countries. You blockade and invade countries at will, not giving a fuck about your allies opinions and especially not giving a fuck about the U.N.
    You refuse to extradite American citizens who commit crimes abroad. You hold the global economy hostage with your meddling. You arm one middle eastern nation who is engaged in a campaing of ethnic cleasing against another (Isreal against Palestine) and then you refuse even the right to exist of one side.
    Etc. etc.

It's not that we like you so much or anything...it's that you worry us. Your shit keeps spilling over and it affects other people. Additionally it is incredibly difficult to get on a common ground with you when it comes to Climate Change, Military and Political interventionism, Human Rights. These are things that the rest of the world is really really worried about.

U.S. is like a raging bull in a china shop. And that is worrysome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Ofc, nothing more guttural than Russian
    Ours is a beautiful language, one of subtlety and grace! Also we get to confuse everyone else in the world by mashing 5 consonants together and quietly laughing at them as they trip over their tongue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Ours is a beautiful language, one of subtlety and grace! Also we get to confuse everyone else in the world by mashing 5 consonants together and quietly laughing at them as they trip over their tongue.
    Croatian is pretty similar (not that it sounds like Russian) because we often have consonants mashed up together. Kind of funny when foreigners can't pronounce things like "vrt", "krv", "rt", "Krk" (which mean, respectively, "garden", "blood", "cape", and "Krk" is the name of an island). Although i guess those aren't very good examples since the "r" in them actually serves as a semi-vowel since it's pronounced the same as in English in those cases (usually, "r" in Croatian sounds Scottish, i.e., it's the rolling "r", although not in those cases).

But yeah, it's kind of funny seeing other people fail at transitioning from one consonant into another.

Deleted
    I have never really understood why Non-Americans are so interested in the affairs of our country (USA). Why take so much interest in the United States, and how our political affairs work? I have not a single interest in any other country and how they run it, and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.

I see so much disdain of American lifestyles and politics coming from Non-Americans, and its amazing why they are so enthralled with our country. Are there not better things to do than to follow American Politics and lifestyle? Is there not enough political drama in your own country so you have to go and look for it elsewhere? Are other countries so boring that America is the only place to turn to for entertainment?

Just curious is all.

Its called bemusement. And we often wonder why Americans assume that anyone else cares about America. Dont dislike it or anything, but Americans have this incredibly overinflated opinion of their own importance.

Still American politics is a good laugh, how any supposedly developed country could have complete muppets reaching such high political office is beyond me, half of them cant even string a sentance together, make up words and come out with totally moronic statements (like women who are raped can natually choose not to have a child...) and yet people still vote for them.....its hilarious, who needs comedy when you can observe American politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The German words for I love you (ich liebe dich) sounds like you want to gut them like a fish! Danish is the same except you're drunk while you do it!
    The Romans didn't call them the Barbarians for nothing.

They eat our McDonald, drink our Coke Cola, watch our films and television programs. To answer OP question isn't it obvious? We drug and brainwash em.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    Its called bemusement. And we often wonder why Americans assume that anyone else cares about America. Dont dislike it or anything, but Americans have this incredibly overinflated opinion of their own importance.

Still American politics is a good laugh, how any supposedly developed country could have complete muppets reaching such high political office is beyond me, half of them cant even string a sentance together, make up words and come out with totally moronic statements (like women who are raped can natually choose not to have a child...) and yet people still vote for them.....its hilarious, who needs comedy when you can observe American politics.
    That's amusement you're describing. Bemusement is when you're confused/puzzled/don't understand what's going on. To be fair, I spend most of my time both bemused and amused at what America's doing.

I hate how everyone calls us "Americans." And then I hate how condescending people are when I tell them that America is a continent. Then they say "herrderr, America isn't a continent." Well it isn't a country either. When people saying "American" around me I instantly include people of all the nations of the Americas. Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Chile, etc. We are United States citizens =/

However, we do have our stake in quite a few other nations. Economically we have investers in many nations around the world. Our currency is the reserve currency for the many of the world's central banks. Politically we have a lot of power as we came out of two world wars as a superpower and have played the policeman of the world since. Socially we have been the trendsetters for a lot of popular culture.

That's it really.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First, you are NOT America, you are the USA.

Second. USA president comes to be the worlds president. Whatever USA goes into a fight with we all go because of this thingie ... NATO.

There are also good things ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    <snip>
    You raise a lot of good points. When polled many people would pick either Obama or Romney for the 2012 General Election. However, neither of those candidates were trying to create policy to stop anything you just mentioned. And Ron Paul was the only one that was trying to stop any of it. And everytime I mentioned that many of our fellow forum goers would bash me for it.

That and you have to remember that what the people want is not well represented by what the government does. Our Republic has fallen since our nation's inception and no one seems to give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You raise a lot of good points. When polled many people would pick either Obama or Romney for the 2012 General Election. However, neither of those candidates were trying to create policy to stop anything you just mentioned. And Ron Paul was the only one that was trying to stop any of it. And everytime I mentioned that many of our fellow forum goers would bash me for it.

That and you have to remember that what the people want is not well represented by what the government does. Our Republic has fallen since our nation's inception and no one seems to give a damn.
    I know there have been several issues with Ron Paul, when it came to his domestic and economic policies. That is a different debate. But when it came to the man's foreign policy of defend the U.S, stand with your allies and cooperate with anyone willing peacefully there was no logical arguement against it.
    I'm still puzzled why people refused to take at least his policies seriously. Another guy with a decent foreign policy I heard about was Gary Johnson. I fail to understand why mainstream U.S politicians are so inflexible when it comes to foreign policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    They eat our McDonald, drink our Coke Cola, watch our films and television programs. To answer OP question isn't it obvious? We drug and brainwash em.
    It's ok, we steal your taxmoney as compensation.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious is all.
    I'm not even sure why this is a question. We now live in a highly globalized culture. People think less and less in terms of rigid nationalism. Caring about what happens in other countries make sense, especially given that it will likely affect you in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    I'm not even sure why this is a question. We now live in a highly globalized culture. People think less and less in terms of rigid nationalism. Caring about what happens in other countries make sense, especially given that it will likely affect you in some way or another.
    Or for some drama/fun whatever your viewpoint is. For example: Rick Santorum... : ''Old people are euthenized when they're too old, so they wear bracelets with: ''dont euthenize me please''... I lol'ed at that, I mean, seriously? Who made him believe that? I mean he was a presidential candidate, and you would expect some fact checking before making such profound allegations. Personally I felt insulted by that first (like most of our politicians, the rage was funny as hell, I mean, little backwater country getting angry, something like a hamster assaulting a bloody dragon), then laughed my pants off. (if you did listen carefully the gasps of the listeners told me that he made a huge faux pax).
    No wonder people are interessted in the Leader of all things Great. I mean if we had him as president we either had: 1) Do some heavy diplomatic work to show how it really is. 2) Got ignored right away.

You know what I've learned about people from the US?

They talk really loud and let people know they're from the USA. That is on a small scale in cafes, people from the US do that on a large scale.

Also because you have a massive stockpile of nukes and do that old world policing thaaaang

I never realized the rest of the continents were so interested in America. What's so interesting about our two continents? I guess the jungles down in Columbia and Brazil are pretty cool. The United States and Canada have some neat stuff. Argentina is supposed to be a wild place. But I never knew the other continents cared so much.