Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

A few questions about a future build

Hello all, I've been reading the MMO-C forums for quite some time and wanted to come to you with my questions. Having seen how knowledgeable the people are around here I figured this was the best place to ask.

In short: by the end of June this upcoming year I will be building my very first PC(I have read the guides, watched instructional videos etc, thats not what I'm asking). My budget will be roughly $1200-1500 CDN.

I'm looking to build a gaming PC, one that can handle wow on ultra settings at a decent framerate(somewhere between 40 and 60 is preferred). I intend however to branch out my gaming from just wow with this PC, mostly RTS and FPS style games.

Now the real kicker, I have a 42" 1080p TV screen(which I know should be able to be used as a monitor through HDMI or VGA hookups). However I'm uncertain as to whether it would for sure, and how much GPU/CPU power it would require to run that as a monitor.

To make it easy there really aren't any parts I have picked out, or bought yet so everything is able to be changed. Just am really unsure of how much power the PC would need to run a monitor of that size/quality.

Thanks in advance!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of inches of your screen doesn't change the amount of GPU power you'll need. It'll still have to render the same amount of pixels as on a 24" 1080p screen.
    Anyhow for build advice, try too look at these builds:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13403306
    Last edited by firewist; 2012-11-15 at 05:04 PM.

Like firewist said, the number of inches in regards to the monitor does not change the amount of "power" you need to use it. Keep in mind though: 1080p resolution (the largest resolution TVs support) looks pretty terrible when you start talking about computer screens larger than 24". The pixels have to "stretch" to fill the space.

Either way, there's little reason to ask for help now if you won't be building the PC for another 6 months. The component landscape will be completely different by then.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the quick responses
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Like firewist said, the number of inches in regards to the monitor does not change the amount of "power" you need to use it. Keep in mind though: 1080p resolution (the largest resolution TVs support) looks pretty terrible when you start talking about computer screens larger than 24". The pixels have to "stretch" to fill the space.

Either way, there's little reason to ask for help now if you won't be building the PC for another 6 months. The component landscape will be completely different by then.
    Largely the reason I was even asking was about the use of the TV as a screen, and info about it. Now I presume that the "stretch" to fit for a 42" would be very noticeable(given its nearly double the 24" mark you noted)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nafrayu View Post
    Largely the reason I was even asking was about the use of the TV as a screen, and info about it. Now I presume that the "stretch" to fit for a 42" would be very noticeable(given its nearly double the 24" mark you noted)?
    Yeah, especially if you're used to using a smaller monitor. Some people claim not to be bothered by it, but I am.

Another con to using a 42" monitor is: you have to physically move your head to look at the sides/corners of the screen, which is never a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Another con to using a 42" monitor is: you have to physically move your head to look at the sides/corners of the screen, which is never a good thing.
    Another con would also be the headaches... ><