Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    you have to get over the feeling that they are manditory. it took me a while to realise this myself. i grinded my way through golden lotus (revered), klaxxi(revered) and cloud serpent(exalted) before it hit me.

the way i do it now is quite simple; if i don't feel like doing them, i don't. especially golden lotus. klaxxi is pretty fun cause you can do insane amounts of damage (with the right buffs) and they really aren't that repetative with 4 hubs. think i did every one of them maybe 3 or 4 times? thats not too bad seeing i'm 4 or 5k from exalted.

AC and shado-pan are on my "whenever i get the right hub" mode. i like doing things that have multiple purposes. so i only do AC and shado-pan when i get the correct hubs for achievements as well. i finished the achievements at nizuao temple, so if i get that hub, i simply don't do it.

i try and stay away from golden lotus entirly now, the quests are so grindy and so extremely repetative it just isn't fun. i only go there when i have absolutely nothing better to do and with the reputation buff coming on from revered, i might as well hold out. i would definitly like to hit exalted on all factions, but there's still a good year and a half of us in this expansion, plenty of time i'd say.

I haven't run any dailies other than Tillers in almost 3 weeks and have none of the main gear reps at exalted. Part of it is I'm waiting for 5.1 for double alt/revered rep. Also too busy capping valor on 2 characters and leveling a third to really do that many dailies. Both my characters that are already at 90 are around ilvl 475 now. One of them can buy valor gear, one of them can't. When the last part of LFR comes out next week, there's going to be way too much to do for me. Might have to put one of my characters on hold.

And one of these days I'm going to start doing pet battles for real. So much to do in MoP, gotta pick and choose the most important stuff to me.

it is rather world of dailycraft right now. I dislike that even after running all the raids I am still not valor capped and must do things outside of that to meet the weekly cap. Hoping raids will start to offer more at some point

Deleted
    What i do is dedicate like one week to 2 factions, and just rotate it, that way I don't get bored of the dailies and I can do them in my own time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If only there was some way you could NOT do the optional daily quest content! Like perhaps getting your gear through one of the other avenues Blizzard implemented such as dungeons, pvp or raids. Its almost as if the intention was to give gear options OUTSIDE of those three normal methods.
    Tell me, how do I grab my lucky coins outside this apparently optional daily content?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Tell me, how do I grab my lucky coins outside this apparently optional daily content?
    Tell me, what about the coins is mandatory?

an optional bonus for doing something is still optional, you don't get to get them if you don't do the content that gives them, like tier gear.

Yet I don't see people moaning that they're being force to raid (whatever flavour of raid that is) to get those items?
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2012-11-16 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Tell me, what about the coins is mandatory?
    Nothing in the game is mandatory. The question is, what penalty do you pay if you avoid something?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

To be fair, only source of VP could be raids, and bosses to drop 100 VP each. Daily grinders don't need any gear whatsoever if to be really honest. Sure system was changed, so you can get VP gear simply by grinding dailies, nothing bad about it. Bad is that raiders were robbed of VP at all. 25 VP per boss and VP stuff is gated behind myriad of dailis (or myriad of boss kills to upgrade item in 5.1 if you don't do heavy VP grind elsewhere only to see your efforts being null void with each raid patch)? Why person who made it this way, still not fired?

I am waiting for examples when daily grinders failed on beating enrage timer on Crocodile boss in vale or any other daily mob/boss for that matter.

If you still don't see what the heck is wrong with system, go play some f2p game with cash shop (Allods Online pre-expansion would be best example). That kind of completely unrewarding grind is being put in f2p games to push people to use cash shop or play in misery. Either developers forgot to change WoW to f2p model or they really don't understand that pay-to-not-play model will soon backfire them, especially with AP ending out and various beasts like CRZ ravaging the world.

If you choose not to do the content then you choose not to get the advantages of doing the content. It would be like me bitching that I can't make my own pandaren Feast because I don't like leveling secondary professions like cooking. Should Blizzard allow me to collect pandaren feasts by defeating bosses where I also get my valor, loot, justice points, gear and gold? The answer is no. I can't do the 4 extra cloudserpent dailies that require cooking/fishing/archeology/first aid and yet I don't see anyone nerdragespamming the forums about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    I am waiting for examples when daily grinders failed on beating enrage timer on Crocodile boss in vale or any other daily mob/boss for that matter.
    Normal raids are not tuned for VP gear, they are tuned for HC dungeon gear.
    If you can't beat the timer without outgearing (aka using VP gear) then you have other problems.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    To get 90 coins you only have to do the astonishing number of 6 quests a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    To get 90 coins you only have to do the astonishing number of 6 quests a day.
    Gasp, not 6!! You must be on crack. That's like effort.

"Hey you in the welfare epics, try earning them next time." Sorry about that I thought I saw a noob.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    6 quests... every day... for the rest of the expansion... this is why I'm leveling characters rather than doing dailies

Made me chuckle.
    You can also farm Guo Lai Cache keys if you like !

10+ Year Old Account
    6 quests... every day... for the rest of the expansion... this is why I'm leveling characters rather than doing dailies

Made me chuckle.
    Excellent choice =) Yeah I probably only get my elder coins every other week because I'm not going out of my way to pound out my dailies. I don't mind doing them once in a while but if I get enough loot to clear the tier then I'm happy (not a raider so I just need enough gear for LFR, which I'll run through a few times then switch to an alt).

I can see why raiders want their coins but 3 extra rolls a week isn't worth burning out over, neither is the rep. It's like trying to sprint to the finish but the hamster wheel will never stop turning so there will never be a finish line, so put some effort in because it's worth it but don't burn yourself out and blame blizzard.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2012-11-16 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    You can also farm Guo Lai Cache keys if you like !
    Farm them? Found some keys .. but from honored till exalted i've never seen one drop.

Not sure if you have had the pleasure to grind these 3 daily fishing quests Flying Tiger Gourami, Mimic Octopus & Spinefish Alpha, they takes around 2 hours/day with good luck. I´m sure you will love em.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demec View Post
    Not sure if you have had the pleasure to grind these 3 daily fishing quests Flying Tiger Gourami, Mimic Octopus & Spinefish Alpha, they takes around 2 hours/day with good luck. I´m sure you will love em.
    Just not going to bother with them, unless I get really bored later this expansion.

And I can see why people want to do everything, just not sure why people kill themselves on it. I don't want Blizzard to have to put limits on things because people can't have a little self control.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2012-11-16 at 02:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demec View Post
    Those aren't daily quests, they are rare catches you find when you fish... You aren't supposed to find all of them every day, if even one per day.

I think pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said in this thread;
    Daily quests aren't mandatory, there are alternative means of obtaining gear outside of them, that being heroic dungeons, pvp and raids.
    The coins were meant to be a bonus for raiders so they have another reason to log in every week aside from the scheduled raids, they serve this purpose well and do not need to be changed. They are far from mandatory considering the really low chance of you even getting a piece of loot from the boss, and even if you do it might be something you already have or otherwise don't need.

Daily quests are fine, if you don't like them then do what you do with other content you don't like, avoid it.

Dear everyone. The problem is not that any of the items or systems being complained about are mandatory, they clearly are not. The problem is that making the following choice:

"I am going to maximize my PVE gear and raid progression on my main"

now takes an order of magnitude more time investment than it did in previous expansions. Consider the following:

Maximizing PVE gear progression now revolves around one new system in addition to the previous ones, Elder Charms of Good Fortune. Their existence increases the grind associated with the above choice.
    Valor gear is now locked behind reputations, increasing the initial grind with the above choice,
    Valor point rewards while now also coming from two new avenues in Daily Quests and Scenarios, have had all their existing reward values reduced by at least 40%. A heroic dungeon rewards at most 80 points per run, down from 150 points in 4.3. A wing of LFR rewards 90 points per run, down from 250 points. Killing a normal mode raid boss awards 25 points, down from 100. The amount of time require to reach the weekly cap of 1000 valor points has increased by an order of magnitude, and the majority of it is done outside of raid instances, which was not the case for successful raiders in any previous tier or any previous expansion (going back even as far as Badges of Justice in Burning Crusade).
    The pattern for critical item enhancements such as high end weapon and wrist enchants, belt buckles, and leg patches are now hidden behind reputations, making them more expensive forcing raiders to spend more time making money to maintain upkeep on their gear.
    Cauldrons are gone and feasts are no longer capable of providing the best available food buffs, and 300 stat food materials are exceptionally more onerous than previous best of breed food buffs making maintaining raid consumables more expensive than before.

So no, none of this stuff is mandatory, not LFR, not Elder Charms, not valor epics, not daily quests, not rep grinds, nor expensive enchants, nor expensive consumables, nor scenarios, nor heroics, etc. None of it is mandatory. However, making the choice to maximize your PVE progression is a more arduous and time consuming choice today than it has been since burning crusade, and that is not a good direction for wow to take. It is terrible design, and it should be called out as such by the community.

but I can understand the point of view of players who say "there is no optional content; if it makes my character stronger I must do it".
    That's not the issue though. The issue is that those people want Blizz to make it so that everything that can possibly make your character stronger can be done in a way that they specifically want, and in the timeframe they want it in.

A perfect reference quoted from Deadmanwalking above:

It would be like me bitching that I can't make my own pandaren Feast because I don't like leveling secondary professions like cooking. Should Blizzard allow me to collect pandaren feasts by defeating bosses where I also get my valor, loot, justice points, gear and gold?