Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If they sell it they can give a refund. Do not confuse lack of desire with inability. This isn't a physical product where you have to consider repacking, used, switched or anything else that can happen. Its a digital good where all they have to do is disable access with that Account. No actual goods are lost and they can turn around and sell the exact same thing to someone else with no loss in money.

Every store has to pay someone for the goods. Why is Steam the only one in the world incapable of handling a return?
    You're right, it isn't a physical product.
    So there's no way you can have got a dodgy copy or broken it.
    It's all about the licenses and the product, do you really think they're going to always end up shelling out almost 7x the money they get from a game when often it's an easily fixed issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    Varyk, how do you explain someone trying to get someone to fuck up their computer?

-snip-
    Hahaha holy shit, where the hell are they hiring these people? Off the Streets and sitting them at a desk for slave wages? Christ..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That is intentional, not a mistake.
    Still against the forum rules, and any image that has to be scrolled in order to view on a 1400x900 display is a mistake. The point would have been made with a thumbnail.

I'm sure deleting program files is a great idea.
    'delete' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

It wouldn't have worked. An error is an error. Everyone is prone to them because every one is human.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Just changed it, hopefully I get to use my old password as soon as possible, like when WoW got hacked.

I guess I should apologize for using Origin instead of Steam... but how else can I kick ass in BF3, or replay my favorite C&C classics ?

I use Steam and Origin, though if I could remove Origin I would pronto ... however its what has all my SIMs 3 games on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    You would hold the manufacturer accountable, as they would have told the dealership that was compatible.
    So you have never ever returned anything to a store? You instead went directly to the manufacturer for everything you've ever returned? If a store sells you a faulty product it is the fault of the store as much as it is the people that made it, shipped it, and stocked it. If steam is willing to take money from people that it should be held accountable for providing faulty goods to those same people.

Why would you want anything less. Why would you accept the possibility of faulty goods just because you've never experienced it from them in the first place?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    That's a disgusting comparison. And not even remotely comparable.

Again, that's not what I said. I said if a game doesn't work, and they can't fix it, they should either A.) Give Refunds. B.) give store credit C.) not sell it or at least have it right when you buy the game that "this doesn't work with "insert" operating system/gpu/settings/drivers/codecs.
    That's not what you said?

Why do they still sell it then? If they're so concerned.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

They have no problem selling it.
    Really?

If they get overwhelming responses saying a game doesn't work, that should be sufficient evidence suggesting the game is faulty/doesnt work and they should pull it.
    You sure you're not saying "they shouldn't sell it?"

I guess I can't be offended that a company sells nonrefundable content that doesn't work.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 10:00 PM ----------

Yea, how dare I not agree with someone selling shit that doesn't work.
    Oh! You were so close, too!

It also doesn't work....for thousands of people. I guess it's okay tho.

I can blame them all I want. The fact that they sell a product that doesn't work is ridiculous. It's not okay for them to do that.

I get that some of you feel steam/valve can do no wrong, that's fine. The next time you buy something that doesn't work with no way to fix it, I'm sure you'll be completely fine with it (unless it's from EA of course)
    And again...

IS that what I said? I think what I said was if someone sells something that doesn't work and they can't fix it they shouldn't sell it?

Take your condescending attitude somewhere else please.
    What does this make, at least 5 times you've said this?

If they can fix it, it's obviously not a problem. If they can't fix it, refunds/store credit would even suffice. They don't tho.
    Oh look at that! You finally mention refunds/store credit as a solution instead of pulling the product. And in a post you posted after the one I quoted, and therefore hadn't seen before my last post, yet your reply to that post is that you "haven't been arguing that" when in reality it's "I was arguing that until right before you posted."

Deleted
    Still against the forum rules, and any image that has to be scrolled in order to view on a 1400x900 display is a mistake. The point would have been made with a thumbnail.

It wouldn't have worked. An error is an error. Everyone is prone to them because every one is human.
    Telling mods the rules, good.
    Posting huge images isn't allowed, can't see anything on the FAQ about 1400x900.
    And "DEL", which was in the screenshot, is a valid command...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    And your not a sheep for joining the "hate EA" bandwagon? The one time I needed service from EA, they delivered. My copy of Mass Effect 1 was not accepting the code that came with the box. Within an hour or two of emailing them, they gave me a version of ME1 that works through Origin. YMMV but hey, I had good service.

Not giving praises to EA, but I'm not going to hate EA just for the simple fact that everyone else does.
    I think it's more a problem with representatives. It seems to be a case of luck with both Steam and EA. I never needed Steam customer support, but needed EA twice. Once the help was no help at all, it was useless and didn't fix my problem at all, the other time it was amazing, it fixed the problem easy.

So I think EA has some people who have no clue what to do and don't bother calling those that do and some that either know what to do or call those that do at least.

10+ Year Old Account

http://ss64.com/nt/del.html
    Telling mods the rules, good.
    Posting huge images isn't allowed, can't see anything on the FAQ about 1400x900.
    And "DEL", which was in the screenshot, is a valid command...
    It's 800 by width that's generally not allowed, it's not usually infractable unless it is very absurd and there I generally give leeway to it as it isn't really anything major.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What is the purpose of origin anyway? just to prevent/ make pirating harder?
    The same reason for any digital distribution platform. To cut out the costs of physical retail by providing those same goods digitally. Origin is EA's Online Store and digital distribution platform. Its purpose is the same as steam, and the same as the Blizzard Store and Battle.net, and the same as Amazon.com (movie, song, book and game download portion)

Deleted

The fuck you are talking about? DEL is valid command.
    E:Wrong quote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    That's not what you said?

Really?

You sure you're not saying "they shouldn't sell it?"

Oh! You were so close, too!

And again...

What does this make, at least 5 times you've said this?

Oh look at that! You finally mention refunds/store credit as a solution instead of pulling the product. And in a post you posted after the one I quoted, and therefore hadn't seen before my last post, yet your reply to that post is that you "haven't been arguing that" when in reality it's "I was arguing that until right before you posted."
    Me not agreeing with you putting words in my mouth and comparing a fault product to cancer treatment (which is absolutely disgusting) doesn't add up to me point blank saying what you provided. Forgive me for elaborating or adding an exception?

5 times? I literally see 1 time I actually said "if they sell something that doesn't work they should pull it". Every other time that's not what I said. It's not some black and white issue where there's 1 resolution (pulling it).
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-11-15 at 10:52 PM.

Deleted
    So you have never ever returned anything to a store? You instead went directly to the manufacturer for everything you've ever returned? If a store sells you a faulty product it is the fault of the store as much as it is the people that made it, shipped it, and stocked it. If steam is willing to take money from people that it should be held accountable for providing faulty goods to those same people.

Why would you want anything less. Why would you accept the possibility of faulty goods just because you've never experienced it from them in the first place?
    The only thing I've ever had to return was a 360 games some years ago, swapped it for an equal value game there and then and didn't bitch to the store because how could it be their fault...

If the stores don't make or design it, and only sell it, then how can you lay the blame at them?
    If you want to blame someone for something that you paid money for fine, blame steam ~15% and complain to the developers the other 85%...

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I've ever had to return was a 360 games some years ago, swapped it for an equal value game there and then and didn't bitch to the store because how could it be their fault...
    That is EXACTLY my point. You were given compensation for a product that didn't work. If they didn't give you a refund/replacement you would have been perfectly fine with it? How is it different than my initial complaint? It's not at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is EXACTLY my point. You were given compensation for a product that didn't work. If they didn't give you a refund/replacement you would have been perfectly fine with it? How is it different than my initial complaint? It's not at all.
    The biggest difference is that the product didn't work on the platform it was developed for. There's a large difference between that and a product not working on a platform released 4 years after said product (using Jade Empire as an example)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    You're right, it isn't a physical product.
    So there's no way you can have got a dodgy copy or broken it.
    Do you know what a patch is? Digital products can be just as faulty as physical products. A digital product can be "dodgy or broken" more easily the a physical product because there are lots of things that can corrupt data. A missed packet downloading can corrupt a file causing it not to work properly. Steam could have simply put a 1 instead of a 0 causing the authentication to not work properly.

If digital goods can never be dodgy or broken then the computer industry wouldn't have created a special term for such a case. I'll give you a hint by saying that the term has its origins from Ada Lovelace when she found a Moth in the UNIVAC which caused it to stop working.

Deleted
    The product didn't work because it had a physical defect, not because there was some obscure compatibility issue that was either unknown or un-researched by the buyer.
    After thinking about it I once tried to return an ancient as ass PC game almost 10 years ago... they said they couldn't do it as I might have just installed it and tried to get my money back by returning it (oh ye olde non-drm days). It was annoying, but it was also store policy, if you don't like not being guaranteed a refund then don't use the service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    The biggest difference is that the product didn't work on the platform it was developed for. There's a large difference between that and a product not working on a platform released 4 years after said product (using Jade Empire as an example)
    It still boils down to selling a defective product. I completely understand what you're saying about the different platform, but that isn't an excuse to sell people a product that won't work and not offer a way to fix it (either by working with the developer, making their own fix, or issuing refund/store credit).

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 10:58 PM ----------

The product didn't work because it had a physical defect, not because there was some obscure compatibility issue that was either unknown or un-researched by the buyer.
    After thinking about it I once tried to return an ancient as ass PC game almost 10 years ago... they said they couldn't do it as I might have just installed it and tried to get my money back by returning it (oh ye olde non-drm days). It was annoying, but it was also store policy, if you don't like not being guaranteed a refund then don't use the service.
    Well that's going to be the difference between physical and digital copies.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've had one interaction with EA customer support when I was trying to merge my copy of BFBC2 onto a different origin acc (the one that had BF3 on it already) The CS rep was quite helpful, spoke english (or at least could type it) and was able to merge the game onto the right acc quickly and painlessly for me. I have not had to deal with Steam CS ever. I use both platforms but steam far more extensively. Origin I only really use for BF3 and SWTOR. I'm not a fan of the way EA deals with their games and try to avoid their products as much as possible but with certain titles there is no choice

15+ Year Old Account

13.11. Posting images (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ore-posting%29)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...les_guidelines (Use thumbnails when posting images.)

1400 x 900 is a fairly big resolution. It might be standard for most but it is still a big image to still have scroll bars. And the delete command is to show that everyone can make mistakes. You do it. I do it. Mods do it. Everyone does it.

The difference is when EA/Origin does it it is used to fuel a crusade against them. Should EA get better support? For sure. But anyone can find something to show how one time something or someone acted completely and irrevocably stupid.