Rift in Korea F2P

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11...ersy-in-china/

It seems the mass F2P market in Korea is tougher competition for Rift then previously thought. They are taking the TOR approach of 1-49 free and post 50 content with a sub fee I assume.

This makes sense considering Korea is source of the term "free to play" trash. I do wonder what some of the Korean complaints are. I assume "lack of grind" is one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its too bad that game companies cant afford to do things like Google did in China.

"Oh you don't like how we run things? See ya biotchez!"
    *packs bags and leaves country

Seems to be a "F2P until level 49" situation. Which means no access to Chocolate max level content or gear, let alone any of SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    It seems the mass F2P market in Korea is tougher competition for Rift then previously thought. They are taking the TOR approach of 1-49 free and post 50 content with a sub fee I assume.
    Subscription model is still totally viable over there and there are a number of games (Lineage and Aion specifically) that have millions of subscribers still. It's just that Rift is a decidedly Western game, so it doesn't have as much appeal to the more Easter tastes. The same thing happens when you see Korean games struggle in the West, we have different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Subscription model is still totally viable over there and there are a number of games (Lineage and Aion specifically) that have millions of subscribers still. It's just that Rift is a decidedly Western game, so it doesn't have as much appeal to the more Easter tastes. The same thing happens when you see Korean games struggle in the West, we have different tastes.
    Didn't Aion go f2p with their newest expansion?
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Deleted

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Its too bad that game companies cant afford to do things like Google did in China.

hahaha...pun of the day

I believe this is what they were thinking about doing over here. Hartsman said they are looking at "Expanding Rift Lite". I guess it all depends if SL brings back the subs like it should whether or not we actually see this over here.
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    In the West (NA/EU), it's still a subscription based game in Asia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    In the West (NA/EU), it's still a subscription based game in Asia.
    It was also revamped for the West and is a much better game than it was at launch. I still dabble from time to time, I love the flying and PvP mechanics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post

Not really, Google left out of self interest after it was revealed the attacks on their servers came from the Chinese government, for years they had gone along with censoring search results.

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    Just in EU/NA. Which further backs Edge's point about different markets having different tastes.

Seems like a wise business move really, they give away the old part at no real cost to them selfs thus allowing new customers to catch up without feeling they are wasting money in the process. All without spending months of development to launch a highly restrictive "Free to play" system, looking at you EA/BW...

Expecting the same to happen eventually in NA/EU as well.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-11-16 at 01:42 PM.

Maybe that is what Scott hinted at before SL launch. I assumed it was a hybrid option ala SWTOR but it could be this "free till 40" thing EU/NA at some point.