Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    And a meal that is shitty for you. You can make a nutritious great tasting meal for less than 420 calories.
    Yup, hence why I abuse Soda in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    I seriously doubt I could take a lemon, squeeze the juice on some linoleum, and scrub off several layers of floor wax...
    You my furry friend, would by surprised.

But from reading this thread, not as surprised as most US Citizens who seem to be hearing about the rest of the planet just now.

Dreadlord
    It's pure poison for your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.
    Except that more and more studies are showing that people are reacting adversely to HFCS in one way or another. I know many of my relatives have severe adverse reactions to Genetically modified corn products (including HFCS, Corn Starch, etc) but have no problems with non-GMO corn. When you go grocery shopping for someone that is allergic to GMO corn products, you start to realize just how much corn is in... everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words.
    Ezekiel 23:20, Ezekiel 16:49-50, Mark 10:25, James 5:1-6, Luke 16:19-31, Matthew 19:21, Numbers 5:11-31

No people, a glass of Coke won't give you a heart attack nor a death sentence.

It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    The majority of Coke contains HFCS.

Also, the caloric content and acidity is harsh on your teeth, plus the calories are just unnecessary.
    This must be because the majority of coke is consumed in the US, I have been all over and it's all cane sugar. I did find some USA coke in a corner shop in NZ with HFCS, really tastes about the same. Disturbingly after drinking it I got serious cravings for that particular coke after having it, not anything else.

I never drink plain water. It actually dries my throat out and makes me have to keep drinking it. I need something with sugar in it to coat my throat since 90% of the time I can't breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum. Therefore I drink tea with milk and sugar, fruit juice (mainly grape or cranberry with sugar added), Kool-Aid, and occasionally soda. Bottled water is the biggest ripoff ever foisted on the consumer.

I'm 64 and still have all my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth just to head those comments off. You know what the biggest killer of your teeth is? It's smoking and pot smoking is worse than tobacco. Have you ever seen a heavy pot smoker who didn't have absolutely terrible teeth? I haven't. Smoking deteriorates the gums and eventually the teeth as well.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2012-11-16 at 07:07 AM.

Everything that's good in life is either immoral, illegal, or unhealthy.
    The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it... You can only face it. The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    no it doesn't
    Yes, Sugar generally does perk you up, hence why most energy drinks are packed with the stuff.

However, I suffer from hyperglycemia, so it makes me very, very tired. When I get drowsy after having a can of coke, if I give in to it and take a nap, I'll wake up 4 hours later feeling groggy as hell. I don't drink sugar or eat chips (fries) or most carbs at the moment.
    ★ twitter @WockyCC ★ blog wockycc.tumblr.comyou-tube: Wocky GAMING
    Recent Video ★ Why playing an MMORPG is like dating
    Partner/Member of the CURSE "Union for Gamers" YouTube Gaming Network | ★ Wocky's Computer Specs: HERE
    Wocky "unplugged" YouTube (Real Life)Steam Games List"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.
    Before I'd ever heard of HFCS, before I cared about the difference in the way my food or drinks got sweeter, before I learned cursive handwriting, I learned that some sweet drinks made me nauseous, and some sweet drinks did not. Later in life, I discovered that the difference between the two was that one contained HFCS and made me feel sick, while the other did not contain HFCS and did not make me feel sick. This wasn't even something on my parents or school's radar, it was just how life was. I also had a peanut allergy (not Epi-Pen degree, but a very small chunk of baked peanut will still cause my throat to swell), so I was accustomed to simply avoiding those things that caused me to react badly.

A lot of people don't have any immediately adverse reactions to a variety of things. That doesn't actually mean that it's ok for them. We all present reactions to different things in different ways. I would also argue that alcohol and smoke are a bit higher up on the "worst acceptable things a person can consume."

I wish Americans had more alternatives, rather than Hecho en Mexico. I think it's unfortunate that HFCS is so profitable that it's not worth using the land to grow healthier, more useful crops. Which isn't to say I'm particularly knowledgeable about agriculture, but surely they could be growing something besides corn, right? Why the insistence on sticking with HFCS? I don't JUST want cheaper. I want affordable and not as bad for me - which doesn't have to be a sweetener of ANY type, because I'm frankly not a huge fan of sweet stuff to begin with (gimme that savory, that umami).

Soda is the number one source of added calories in people's diets, plain and simple.

If you drink soda on a regular basis, just try replacing every soda you drink with water instead and I guarantee you that you'll lose a noticeable amount of weight within a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.
    Ofcurse i drink a whole bottle if i ever buy one. Whats the point of only drinking half of it? ;P

The real danger is more likely the acidity of Coke more than anything.

And btw; HFCS, white sugar, and fructose (fruit sugar) behave exactly the same when ingested. It is the fiber in fruits, nuts, vegetables etc that keep the sugar from affecting you negatively.

Of course it's not bad. It just depends on how often, just like with any negative food or drink. This is where the problem lies. The amount consumed. If you watch the amounts and intervals of when you have it, you won't be affected. Maybe except for the acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I never drink plain water. It actually dries my throat out and makes me have to keep drinking it. I need something with sugar in it to coat my throat since 90% of the time I can't breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum. Therefore I drink tea with milk and sugar, fruit juice (mainly grape or cranberry with sugar added), Kool-Aid, and occasionally soda. Bottled water is the biggest ripoff ever foisted on the consumer.

I'm 64 and still have all my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth just to head those comments off. You know what the biggest killer of your teeth is? It's smoking and pot smoking is worse than tobacco. Have you ever seen a heavy pot smoker who didn't have absolutely terrible teeth? I haven't. Smoking deteriorates the gums and eventually the teeth as well.
    64 and still no clue. I've seen plenty of potsmokers (also heavy potsmokers) who look just like normal people or sometimes even healthier than the average person. The ones you have seen are just people who don't take care of themselves but this doesn't have anything to do with smoking pot.
    Not that smoking isn't bad for your teeth, ofcourse it is. Just like coca cola.

How can water dry out your throat? Really horrible you have to keep drinking water then, lol.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-11-16 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post

Yes, me. And besides me being a heavy pot smoker, nobody at my work ever, ever suspected me of smoking pot. Now don't try to turn this thread into something else besides bashing on soda, please.

Also... water drys out your throat? First time I ever hear something like this.

i have been drinken cola/cola light since around 15. i'm now 30. and i drink about 2l per day. yet my body looks pretty good. and i'm healthy as a horse.

so please don't make it looks like your going to die in one year if you drink it on a daily base.

The Patient
    It is no cyanide but your not doing anything good to your body(expect when you do not eat and have to make sure you are getting your required calory intake) by drinking it. Hammering your head against a wall isn't fatal either, but if you do it on a regular bases it might leave some traces...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yup, hence why I abuse Soda in this thread.
    A 20oz bottle of Coke is like... 280 calories, tops. That's a snack at best, not a freaking meal. Assuming a standard 2000 calorie diet, you're looking at 600 calories per meal and change - not quite three times what you're claiming is a "meal."
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Quote Originally Posted by Migrin View Post
    It is no cyanide but your not doing anything good to your body(expect when you do not eat and have to make sure you are getting your required calory intake) by drinking it. Hammering your head against a wall isn't fatal either, but if you do it on a regular bases it might leave some traces...
    How can you even remotely compare it to cyanide. :/ I don't even.....
    I know what you mean but we should not compare sugars to deadly chemicals.