Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
... LastLast
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    The majority of Coke contains HFCS.

    Also, the caloric content and acidity is harsh on your teeth, plus the calories are just unnecessary.
    Has probably been adressed multiple times, but the ingredients for coca cola (and soda's in general) vary from geographical location to location. The water they use is local. That's why coca cola's bottled in Finland tastes awesome. The sweetener is either sucrose ("real sugar") or high-fructose corn syrup. They use HFC in the US, but you can find sucrose coke in Mexico or Europe.

  2. #282
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,817
    226kcal. (12%)
    56g of sugar (62%)
    500ml bottle

    Carbonated water, sugar, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, flavourings (caffeine)

    That's what's in Coke here in the North-east of England. Not that much to it really. I'm assuming that the sugar is cane or fuctose sugar though.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  3. #283
    Brewmaster Desareon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Time-Space & Space-Time
    Posts
    1,282
    Food companies don't have to label everything that is in their products. Just like with Pepsi, for example. The patent for the flavor mix, has dead fetal tissue in it. There are an article on MSN about it months ago, it has since been removed. But there are tons of companies that don't list shit.

    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/oba...nary-business/

  4. #284
    i drink 2 cans per day of coca cola 0/light. 3 sometimes

    not because im necessarily worried about calories but because the normal is way too sweet and i get nauseous by the time i finish it

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Alcohol is better for you in moderation.

    Pretty sure every doctor in the world would say have a glass of red wine over a can of coke.
    Eh... no
    Red wine is "good" for a substances other than alcohol, such as tannins and flavonoids, that are rarely found elsewhere. Alcohol itself -ethanol- is far from good, in fact it's toxic; it's the "necessary evil" in red wine, not the reason to drink it. Doctors wouldn't advice you to drink a glass of vodka, or whiskey, would they?

  6. #286
    Bloodsail Admiral Wass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Back in Sweden
    Posts
    1,132
    You have balls for posting this thread.

    I like coca cola, however I don't drink a whole lot of it. Being a student I think it's too expensive, so I go with strawberry juice Buy a concentrated bottle, and mix it with water. Saves many many pennies.
    My SC2 stream, bitchz, love goes to Elyaan the Weird and Fantastical Unicorn.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

  7. #287
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    How can you even remotely compare it to cyanide. :/ I don't even.....
    I know what you mean but we should not compare sugars to deadly chemicals.
    What I wanted to state with this comparison is, that it is not as dangerous at is offten told to be, but still consuming it is not reccomandable from a health perspective. At the end its all a question of moderation.

  8. #288
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,278
    I don't drink any soda really. Sometimes I'll buy sparkling grape or pear or peach, but it doesn't have tons of sugar. I seldomly drink Izzie pomegranate which I believe is a good soda. The most drunk carbonated drink is beer in my household. I had six beers this month, which is more than the soda I've had all year.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 08:04 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zardi View Post
    Eh... no
    Red wine is "good" for a substances other than alcohol, such as tannins and flavonoids, that are rarely found elsewhere. Alcohol itself -ethanol- is far from good, in fact it's toxic; it's the "necessary evil" in red wine, not the reason to drink it. Doctors wouldn't advice you to drink a glass of vodka, or whiskey, would they?
    It's not just red wine, it's white wine as well. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it was observed that small amounts of wine, about a glass or two a week, can help heal livers actually. And why would you say "eh...no" wine has heaps of benefits compared to WATER, SUGAR, FLAVORING. Doctors may not advise to drink wodka and whiskey, or much hard liquor, but who brought that up even?

    Beer also has the same effects.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-11-16 at 01:07 PM.

  9. #289
    Dead fetal tissue in it, i highly fucking doubt it.

  10. #290
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Dead fetal tissue in it, i highly fucking doubt it.
    It's a sensationalized title but they're using some cells to do flavor research.

  11. #291
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,389
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yup, hence why I abuse Soda in this thread.
    Completely agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    A 20oz bottle of Coke is like... 280 calories, tops. That's a snack at best, not a freaking meal. Assuming a standard 2000 calorie diet, you're looking at 600 calories per meal and change - not quite three times what you're claiming is a "meal."

    The problem is most people don't limit themselves to one 20oz glass a day. Let's say a person is going off the old three meal standard. Chances are a soda drinker will have a glass of soda with at least two of those, lunch and dinner. I'd sure as hell hope their morning beverage would be something different. Just on drinks alone, you are looking at 500+ calories. This goes off the assumption that you either drink nothing else during the day except water.

    So yes, for the average soda drinker, Coke is a pretty poor choice. To someone who can limit themselves to a glass a day as an addition to a well balanced diet, not as bad but still not the best choice.

  12. #292
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Completely agree.




    The problem is most people don't limit themselves to one 20oz glass a day. Let's say a person is going off the old three meal standard. Chances are a soda drinker will have a glass of soda with at least two of those, lunch and dinner. I'd sure as hell hope their morning beverage would be something different. Just on drinks alone, you are looking at 500+ calories. This goes off the assumption that you either drink nothing else during the day except water.

    So yes, for the average soda drinker, Coke is a pretty poor choice. To someone who can limit themselves to a glass a day as an addition to a well balanced diet, not as bad but still not the best choice.
    To be fair, not even one glass a day, it's like a treat you know...

  13. #293
    Elemental Lord Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,224
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    420kCal is a meal? At 3 meals a day that makes 1260 calories, which is starvation.

  14. #294
    Of course it is not bad for you if you look at the ingredients. It is only bad for you if you drink it.

  15. #295
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    21,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    420kCal is a meal? At 3 meals a day that makes 1260 calories, which is starvation.
    Not really, depends on how active / sedentary someone is.

    Malnutrition (on a soda diet) on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  16. #296
    The worst thing about coca cola and pepsi is the phosphoric acid which is fairly strong and needs to be labeled as corrosive to be transported anywhere (even for food). It will cause you more tooth problems than anything.

    The verdict on high fructose corn syrup is up in the air still.

    Notice things like sprite do not contain phosphoric acid but citric acid which will not bother your teeth at all comparatively. However, none of these drinks contain caffeine which is what a lot of people like when they drink soft drinks.

    Also, caffeine is not bad for you at all except in large amounts or in the case of specific issues like allergies or high blood pressure. As far as I can tell it has not been labeled as any type of carcinogen either.
    Last edited by Nish77; 2012-11-16 at 04:59 PM.

  17. #297
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    21,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    The worst thing about coca cola and pepsi is the phosphoric acid which is fairly strong and needs to be labeled as corrosive to be transported anywhere (even for food). It will cause you more tooth problems than anything.

    The verdict on high fructose corn syrup is up in the air still.
    Phospheric acid in colas doesn't do nearly as much tooth damage as the citric acid in those citrus sodas.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  18. #298
    Incorrect. At least per my chem professor. I will look it up but the citric acid is not at all as bad for you. Phosphoric acid will strip the rust off of nails and is dangerous enough to be labeled as corrosive. Citric acid is not.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    There's not a whole lot of evidence that it's any better or worse than sugar.

    And 1 liter is a whole meal? Not for me.. I eat about 2000-3000 calories per meal.. o.O

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    There's not a whole lot of evidence that it's any better or worse than sugar.

    And 1 liter is a whole meal? Not for me.. I eat about 2000-3000 calories per meal.. o.O

    3,000 calories per meal?

    That's a whole days worth of food!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •