Page 1 of 19
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216

    You know...Coca Cola...isn't that bad if you look at the ingredients

    I am going to play devil's advocate here a little and you will read:


    Let's disregard the acidic aspect of Coca Cola, we know it is bad for your teeth.

    Now let's look at the ingredients in a 1 liter bottle:


    We got:

    Sugar 10,6 gram per 100ml so the entire bottle contains 106 grams of sugar
    Sparkling water
    Color add: number e150d (caramel product)
    Acidic ingredients for consumption
    E338 (phosporic acid)
    Plant extracts (which include caffeine)

    Now if you compare Coca Cola to some other shit out there which contain about 10 more ingredients or High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of sugar....


    It really isn't that bad. The entire bottle is 420 kcal btw.



    I am not denying that it is unhealthy, but I am merely saying that there is some worse stuff out there and I would choose plain old
    Coca Cola over them.


    http://imgur.com/o9zRv

    Oh and yes, I am guilty of drinking Coca Cola on occasion, oh what a crime. :P
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2012-11-15 at 07:56 PM.

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,926
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  3. #3
    Compare the ingredients to a 1L bottle of water.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.
    You'd be surprised.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Compare the ingredients to a 1L bottle of water.
    Nope, that is completely missing the point here and being a party pooper. You can't compare apple's with pears. (Dutch saying)

    I am saying Coca Cola isn't that bad in comparison to other soda's or candy.

  7. #7
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,565
    Last I saw, Coca Cola uses high fructose corn syrup in its formula

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Co..._United_States
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

    General Off-Topic Forum Moderator
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  8. #8
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,926
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.
    No, I dont drink that crap, but a 1 litre bottle has 21 teaspoons of sugar in it. Saying its not that bad makes me wonder what you think is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  9. #9
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    26,139
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  10. #10
    Sugar is not good for you. At all.

  11. #11
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    26,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Last I saw, Coca Cola uses high fructose corn syrup in its formula

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Co..._United_States
    They use sugar internationally where there are no corn subsidies.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    Idk, here in the Netherlands it just uses sugar.

  13. #13
    Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram. That means there's 400 calories in that 1L bottle that anyone can easily drink in a day.

    Its not the fact that is or isn't high fructose corn syrup. Soda is bad because of the empty calories.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    As usual people are missing the point.

    I am not saying it is healthy but it isn't so bad in comparison to other things.


    For example some chocolate chip cookies here....


    Way more calories and uses far more ingredients. Not a good comparison but you know.

  15. #15
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Last I saw, Coca Cola uses high fructose corn syrup in its formula

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Co..._United_States
    Only the American version. In places where sugar cane is cheaper they use actual sugar.

    Hence why I only drink Mexican Coke.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    Sugar is worse because they have to put more into it than HFCS

  17. #17
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    26,139
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Idk, here in the Netherlands it just uses sugar.
    Internationally they use sugar because it's usually cheaper. The USA has tons of corn subsidies so that makes HFCS cheaper here.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 01:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Sugar is worse because they have to put more into it than HFCS
    No, it's not. I linked you loads of scientific studies yesterday that says less HFCS makes you more fat than more sugar.

    @All other posters: I mean this: https://www.princeton.edu/main/news/.../S26/91/22K07/
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,027
    Sugar makes your brain.. hm.. lag.

  19. #19
    Brewmaster Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,274
    To the people saying coke in the US uses high fructose corn syrup, you can get it with sugar at Costco (though, it's only the glass bottles, and is a bit more expensive.)
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  20. #20
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,210
    I only drink one can a week anyway :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •