Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Well lets look at the beverages that are worse then us then soft drinks.

Right now all I can think of is alcohol, are there any others?
    Alcohol is better for you in moderation.

Pretty sure every doctor in the world would say have a glass of red wine over a can of coke.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    I don't drink 1 L of coke every day let alone in one meal... Point is it's the lesser of more evils and certainly not better than water and it sure doesn't take the thirst away but it's the best imo even when compared to other gaseous drinks that have aromatic fruits

1 glass of the stuff a day wont kill you . Just some people drink it pretty much all day or all evening at least.
    Better to just drink tea or mix it up some more (milk, coffee,tea, water, juice). After a while you probably will start to find it tastes like syrup. I really dont like it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Sugar makes your brain.. hm.. lag.
    Quite the contrary. Afaik, the brain loves sugar.

People, consider coca-cola the farthest you should go. Shit like Red Bull are the real cesspool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Read what I said. I admitted that it was more concentrated, and stated it would take around 4 - 6 cans a week to achieve the same intake into your Blood as if it was internal ingestion. Learn to read.
    Maybe you should read what I wrote instead of going off and whining about it. The human body is infinitely more complex than taking a random pint of blood and putting sugar into it. If your doctor put up such a demonstration, than your doctor is a complete and total moron.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    To be honest I don't see why people even like soft drinks that much.

They don't really taste that interesting to me...
    And that's your opinion, just as I can't stand any kind of fish, mushroom, chicken or vegetable.

And before you jump on judging me for not eating healthy, I still do, I make sure to get pretty much everything I need without getting too much of anything bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    What? if you are indeed 1.9 meters tall you're nearly 9 cm taller then the average Dutch male... so I don't know where the "I feel like a dwarf" comes into play... I mean every country has really tall dudes (yao ming, comes to mind, the chinese are one of the shorter nations).

I think the US would rank higher (than where we are at) were is not for the huge hispanic population.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/4385...ales-20-years/
    IIRC, Groningen was awarded for the tallest city in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    After a while you probably will start to find it tastes like syrup. I really dont like it anymore.
    Yeah, I stopped drinking it when I was 20 or 21 (when I got pregnant). A few months ago I went to a BBQ and I had some Coke. It burned when I drank it. No lie. I had to ask my husband (who drinks the stuff regularly at lunch with buddies) if there was something wrong with it. He said it was fine. I took a second sip and got the same burning result.

Nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    there is also nothing wrong with the corn syrup. It's the same thing as sugar to your body.
    Incorrect. Check the chemical construct of natural sugars that occur in fruit, such as an Apple or Orange. They're very simple sugars that take very little effort to burn and break down in your body. A lot of that is done by the enzymes in your mouth.

Sugars added to Sweets, Chocolates and Drinks are much more complex and take a lot more effort for your body to burn down, and often they'll just get taken into the Blood Stream because they're not broken down in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    The stuff saying it's bad is propaganda from the sugar industry. I won't drink any diet sodas or no calorie garbage
    I do agree here. A lot of the facts are total bullshit, but for example Aspartame which is added as a sweetener has been linked to Brain Cancer, but there is little evidence to suggest that is true. I tend to not fill my body with total shit though, don't want to waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    1) The phrase is "You can't compare Apples and Oranges".
    2) It doesn't belong to any specific language, and is only designed to point that you can't compare 2 specific entities due to their differences.
    3) "Apple's and Pears" would generally be read as "stairs" to anyone who lives in England

Actually in the Netherlands we do say: Je kan geen appels met peren vergelijken. Which directly translates in to: You can't compare apples to pears."

He was most likely unaware of the existence of English version.

OT: Let health freaks be health freaks if they all want to rage on coca cola just let them, it's not hurting you or me.

I have a 20oz bottle of Coke in front of me right now, The ingredients in order are as follows:

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors and Caffine.

Not really all that great for you..

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Maybe you should read what I wrote instead of going off and whining about it. The human body is infinitely more complex than taking a random pint of blood and putting sugar into it. If your doctor put up such a demonstration, than your doctor is a complete and total moron.
    Doctor with Training & Experience > Random guy on the internet with no knowledge in the subject.

Ironically the high fructose corn syrup people are mentioning is starting to shift.

We have Dr. Pepper being sold with sugar (used to be known as Dublin Dr. Pepper since it was made and bottled with sugar in Dublin, Texas)
    We have Pepsi Throwback using sugar instead as well.
    I think in the US you can find Coca Cola with sugar instead of HFCS as well.

It's got nothing to do with health, though. The rising cost of corn has made it reasonably priced to go back to sugar and some speculate it will be CHEAPER to use sugar before long.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

Coke uses high fructose corn syrup in the United States. Many foreign versions use sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

I drink Coke all the time and there's really nothing horrendously wrong with it; fashionable as it is to condemn such easy targets these days. In moderation its fine, as with most things in life.
    The first thing I remember about the world — and I pray that it may be the last — is that I was a stranger in it.” - Malcolm Muggeridge, Apologia pro vita sua (1968)

Doctor with Training & Experience > Random guy on the internet with no knowledge in the subject.
    No, just no.

You can't expect sugar to just be dropped in your bloodstream like that.

Just no.

And that your doctor said it and you believe him blindly is just folly, you don't just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The USA uses High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar. HFCS is pretty damn bad for you.
    High fructose corn sweetener contains a 50/50 mix of glucose and fructose.

Cane sugar is sucrose, a disaccharide which is rapidly broken down in the body into a ... 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose.

HFCS is not nearly so much worse than sucrose (and sucrose not nearly so much better than HFCS) as folk mythology would have you believe.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Incorrect. Check the chemical construct of natural sugars that occur in fruit, such as an Apple or Orange. They're very simple sugars that take very little effort to burn and break down in your body. A lot of that is done by the enzymes in your mouth.
    The enzymes in your mouth are salivary alpha-amylase, which breaks up large polysaccharides ie starches into glucose and maltose. It has almost nothing to do with the sugars from fruits, which tend to be glucose, fructose, and sucrose, twoof which are immediately available for intestinal absorption and the other which can be broken down by intestinal enzymes to be absorbed. The body is only able to absorb monosaccharides; its just how our bodies work.

As for HFCS, yes it goes by different mechanisms in the body than glucose, but fructose is by no means some alien compound. The only problem comes from the amount of fructose, and the fact that its feedback mechanisms are different from that of glucose.

Sugars added to Sweets, Chocolates and Drinks are much more complex and take a lot more effort for your body to burn down, and often they'll just get taken into the Blood Stream because they're not broken down in time.
    Get taken into the blood stream because they're not broken down in time? Where exactly are you getting your medical facts from?

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 10:54 PM ----------

Your doctor sounds he like has all the authenticity of Mercola. Even without my expertise in the subject, it really doesn't take a bright mind to recognize things like, oh.... sugar doesn't just float around in the blood. I gave you the reasons why the human body is distinctly different from using a simple pint of blood. You did a rather poor appeal to authority in an indefensible position.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-15 at 09:55 PM.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Where exactly are you getting your medical facts from?
    Scientific Studies, Local & National Doctors (Seen many before) and personal experience from previously drinking around 8 bottles of Dr Pepper a day and having a near heart attack because of it.

Again, professional views of an actively practicing doctor is going to be more important to me then a random stranger ont he internet. I'm not preaching to anyone, just asking them to look into themselves. If they find what I say to be wrong, so be it, but I can only go on what I know, I don't form opinions or views on matters without knowing about them in the first place.

The major difference though is I am prepared to accept that they may be wrong, but on a matter that has affected me personally, I know how I had issues with it.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2012-11-15 at 09:59 PM.