Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reading the continued defense of soda in this thread makes me smile. It's nice to see natural selection in all it's glory

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-16 at 12:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Reading the continued defense of soda in this thread makes me smile. It's nice to see natural selection in all it's glory
    Ah, another health nut joins the group.
    Enlighten us with your all holy opinion.

I used to drink a lot of pepsi, I used to be underweight. Turned out I had diabetes type 1 and the more sugar I had, the higher my blood sugar would get and the more weight I would lose.
    Now I never really drink any drinks with sugar(unless I need to recover from low blood sugar fast). Pepsi Max tastes better than Pepsi now I think.
    Having type 1 diabetes has taught me a lot about sugar. To me a drink with as much sugar as a meal will never be worth it. When injecting insulin for everything you eat(and maybe drink) it gets a lot clearer to you how much sugar stuff has. You will have to make the choice of taking insulin for two meals just to enjoy a coca cola together with your meal is really something you wanna do.
    Coca cola isn't really any worse than other soft drinks and even juice when it comes to taking insulin though. Fruit juice is a better choice as it has other useful vitamins and stuff, but sugar wise they are often just as bad as coca cola. As for coca cola not being as bad as other candy, I'm not so sure. As a diabetic it is easiest for me to eat treats with a bit of fat aswell, like chocolate or chips. Fat will make your blood sugar rise slower while candy or drinks with only sugar will make your blood sugar spike faster. The faster it spikes, the harder it is to get the insulin dose right.

Losing weight for no reason can be a symptom for diabetes type 1. If you are very thirsty, hungry, pee a lot, feeling weak/tired and losing weight despite eating/drinking a lot you should probably do a blood test.

You wont get type 1 diabetes from eating a lot of sugar, I'm just saying you might have it if you're underweight and still devouring tons of sugar without putting on weight. Ofcourse, it might just be you're not down with growing, don't worry then the weight will catch up with you sometime after puberty!

Type 2 diabetes is something you should be worried about though if you eat a lot of sugar, especially if anyone in your near family has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

International diabetes day was on wednesday, so felt like I should be a good diabetic and make people aware

Deleted
    Nice to see that narcissistic A-holes occupy other sites on the internet other than just facebook.
    I bet you're one of those people have to tell everyone within 5 minutes from meeting that they're atheists or a vegetarian.

I personally don't really care for the smell of my own farts, but each to his own.

15+ Year Old Account
    High fructose corn syrup is a universal sweetener in the US. I have close relatives that are allergic to corn products. You'd be surprised at how much corn is in just about everything in the US in some form or another. High fructose corn syrup is the most common sweetener, and it tends to be hard to find "sugar" sweetened stuff.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That's because it contains phosphoric acid. Kind of like how lemons contain citric acid.
    I seriously doubt I could take a lemon, squeeze the juice on some linoleum, and scrub off several layers of floor wax...
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    400 additional calories per day means that you will gain 1.6kg per month or 19.2kg per year.
    From a simple drink.
    So simple math has it. I've been drinking 1-2 liters of coca cola each and every day for well over 10 years.
    That's well above 400 additional calories daily. But to keep it simple we'll go with your calculation of 19.2kg per year and 400 cals.
    19.2(kg) x 10(years) = 192 additional kilos+ my 90 Kg from before, that's 282kg.
    And lets not talk about my extremely unhealthy food habits consisting of pizza and cheeseburgers, I must surely be a lardo of epic proportion.

Yet here I'am at barely 90 kg and not even slightly overweight, how come? I'm just that awesome I guess.
    I also smoke, still I'm healthier than a Ox and only rarely sick, maybe once a year, if even that.

Edit: On second thought... I'm actually doing everything wrong, been doing that for sooooo many years. I should be dead.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-11-16 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Ah, another health nut joins the group.
    Enlighten us with your all holy opinion.
    Haha..I'm not a health nut by any definition. I simply cut out soda and have seen pretty amazing results. Don't pretend to want to hear my opinion when all you really want is to have something to counter. You simply want to argue for something because it makes you feel better. If you want to drink soda then by all means keep doing it. But if evolution decides to remove you from the gene pool don't expect me to be there with a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    So simple math has it. I've been drinking 1-2 liters of coca cola each and every day for well over 10 years.
    That's well above 400 additional calories daily. But to keep it simple we'll go with your calculation of 19.2kg per year and 400 cals.
    19.2(kg) x 10(years) = 192 additional kilos+ my 90 Kg from before, that's 282kg.
    And lets not talk about my extremely unhealthy food habits consisting of pizza and cheeseburgers, I must surely be a lardo of epic proportion.

Yet here I'am at barely 90 kg and not even slightly overweight, how come? I'm just that awesome I guess.
    I also smoke, still I'm healthier than a Ox and only rarely sick, maybe once a year, if even that.
    400 additional calories to your maintenance level of caloric intake. If you fit those extra 400 calories from a coke into your daily diet you will not get fat. Surplus of calories = weight gain no matter where the calories come from. You can eat only junk food and not gain weight as long as you stay under your body's maintenance level of calories. Each person will be different due to lifestyle/activity/metabolism.

edit: that's not to say that you can be healthy by eating just junk food, it could easily cause other health problems (diabetes) but you will not gain weight if you don't consume an excess of calories no matter where they come from.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just about the calories. Sure, there's a lot of energy inside. But what's more important is the method of delivery. Pure sugar spikes blood sugar, which spikes insulin, and so most of the calories become stored as fat. If fructose is used instead of sucrose (fructose-glucose), your liver has to do more work to metabolize the sugar. It's sort of like drinking alcohol in terms of liver damage.

Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.

True it might not be as bad as something else, but that's a long way away from not being bad in general. Its all about balance though I suppose, if you eat properly and have this stuff in moderation there is no harm done really.

Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.
    But yes there are lots of people out there who do drink the whole bottle over the course of an evening. I know some personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha..I'm not a health nut by any definition. I simply cut out soda and have seen pretty amazing results. Don't pretend to want to hear my opinion when all you really want is to have something to counter. You simply want to argue for something because it makes you feel better. If you want to drink soda then by all means keep doing it. But if evolution decides to remove you from the gene pool don't expect me to be there with a towel.
    Natural selection does not apply on an individual level... I really, really don't understand how hard this is for the general populace to grasp. Large portions of the world digest alcohol fairly easily, while people of Asian descent do not, which is the direct result of exposure to alcohol resulting in the formation of alcohol dehydrogenase, signifying that exposure to potentially harmful substances will, over time, cause the gene pool to shift to compensate for said substances. Given this, if soda becomes a continuous aspect of human society, after hundreds or thousands of years as a species we will have adapted to better cope with elevated sugar levels.

Also, are you saying that you don't want to present your opinion because of the possibility of its validity being called into question?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adynos View Post
    snip
    I don't count my calories, never have. It's stressful and unnecessary! I eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm thirsty.
    The body is amazing that way, telling you when you had enough food and drink. Such an amazing adaptation

Also, I don't have diabetes or even a slight trace of high blood sugar.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-11-16 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.
    Depends on which corn syrup you use, some has 55% fructose and some has 42%. Also, sugarcane>corn in terms of health, partly because genetically modified foods introduce bacterial membrane fragments that could elicit an immune response, and partly because starchy carbohydrates are bad for you in general (because of the way they are digested; has to do with changes in intestinal flora and aerobic bacteria)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It's not just about the calories. Sure, there's a lot of energy inside. But what's more important is the method of delivery. Pure sugar spikes blood sugar, which spikes insulin, and so most of the calories become stored as fat. If fructose is used instead of sucrose (fructose-glucose), your liver has to do more work to metabolize the sugar. It's sort of like drinking alcohol in terms of liver damage.
    I wouldn't say that fructose is necessarily bad for you because of this... yes, it does use different pathways in things such as energy (http://www.rsc.org/ej/MB/2008/b717340g/b717340g-f2.gif) but it really isn't comparable to alcohol in this matter, especially since it has linear metabolism while alcohol has nonlinear metabolism. Also, doesn't fructose absorption not active the insulin pathway the way glucose absorption does?
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-16 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I don't count my calories, never have. It's stressful and unnecessary! I eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm thirsty.
    The body is amazing that way, telling you when you had enough food and drink. Such an amazing adaptation

Also, I don't have diabetes or even a slight trace of high blood sugar.
    I never said you had to count your calories, just that if you don't eat more than your body needs then you will not gain weight. You are obviously doing that without trying. I have to eat ~3500 calories to gain weight. If I eat just normal meals and try to get that I have to eat well past being full.

And true too, I just said it "could" lead to other things such as diabetes, not that it necessarily would.

I have never had trouble with gaining weight either, but not everyone is as lucky! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I wouldn't say that fructose is necessarily bad for you because of this... yes, it does use different pathways in things such as energy (http://www.rsc.org/ej/MB/2008/b717340g/b717340g-f2.gif) but it really isn't comparable to alcohol in this matter, especially since it has linear metabolism while alcohol has nonlinear metabolism.
    There have been correlations drawn between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and egregious fructose consumption, controlling for all other factors:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2423467/

But you're also right to say that it isn't quite the same, because the amount of fructose you would need to eat to be at risk for fatty liver disease is much higher than it is for alcohol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I am going to play devil's advocate here a little and you will read:

Let's disregard the acidic aspect of Coca Cola, we know it is bad for your teeth.

Now let's look at the ingredients in a 1 liter bottle:

We got:

Sugar 10,6 gram per 100ml so the entire bottle contains 106 grams of sugar
    Sparkling water
    Color add: number e150d (caramel product)
    Acidic ingredients for consumption
    E338 (phosporic acid)
    Plant extracts (which include caffeine)

Now if you compare Coca Cola to some other shit out there which contain about 10 more ingredients or High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of sugar....

It really isn't that bad. The entire bottle is 420 kcal btw.

I am not denying that it is unhealthy, but I am merely saying that there is some worse stuff out there and I would choose plain old
    Coca Cola over them.

http://imgur.com/o9zRv

Oh and yes, I am guilty of drinking Coca Cola on occasion, oh what a crime. :P
    Tonnes of sugar and E numbers? YEAH, not bad. sigh.

I'm 29 and probably going to die soon by listening to people who say soda is horrible for you. I can probably drink 12 cans a day if not more. I drink at LEAST 6 cans a day. As for the teeth aspect, brush twice a day?

I rarely drink anything but soda... and vodka.