Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So 1 bottle is the equivalent of an entire meal and you say it's not that bad?
    And a meal that is shitty for you. You can make a nutritious great tasting meal for less than 420 calories.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adynos View Post
    I never said you had to count your calories, just that if you don't eat more than your body needs then you will not gain weight. You are obviously doing that without trying. I have to eat ~3500 calories to gain weight. If I eat just normal meals and try to get that I have to eat well past being full.

And true too, I just said it "could" lead to other things such as diabetes, not that it necessarily would.

I have never had trouble with gaining weight either, but not everyone is as lucky! :P
    Yeye I know, I'm just being an ass to the guy who I initially quoted as it appeared that what he said was set in stone.
    That's what pisses me off really about these health nuts. They keep on insisting that you get fat because of WHAT you eat and not how much you eat.
    They seem to believe that even looking at a burger or glass of coke is going to give you an extra tire or heart failure :>

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    HFCS is not nearly so much worse than sucrose (and sucrose not nearly so much better than HFCS) as folk mythology would have you believe.
    In laboratory tests, significantly more weight is gained with HFCS than sucrose. I linked a study in one of the early pages. The results have been replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Natural selection does not apply on an individual level... I really, really don't understand how hard this is for the general populace to grasp. Large portions of the world digest alcohol fairly easily, while people of Asian descent do not, which is the direct result of exposure to alcohol resulting in the formation of alcohol dehydrogenase, signifying that exposure to potentially harmful substances will, over time, cause the gene pool to shift to compensate for said substances. Given this, if soda becomes a continuous aspect of human society, after hundreds or thousands of years as a species we will have adapted to better cope with elevated sugar levels.

Also, are you saying that you don't want to present your opinion because of the possibility of its validity being called into question?
    I understand how natural selection works, I am currently studying evolutionary biology in college. I was over simplifying the process for facetious purposes. I appreciate your own knowledge of the subject but would advise against taking anything on a gamer message board too seriously.

As for not presenting my opinion...I already did earlier in this thread so there was no point in doing so again. My opinion is based on my own experience. Other peoples bodies process sugar in different ways but I know there are enough people like me who would benefit greatly by not consuming soda that it was worth putting my own results out there. My doctor advised me to eliminate soda and frankly I would rather take the opinion of a trained professional over the opinions of internet gladiators.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Yeye I know, I'm just being an ass to the guy who I initially quoted as it appeared that what he said was set in stone.
    That's what pisses me off really about these health nuts. They keep on insisting that you get fat because of WHAT you eat and not how much you eat.
    They seem to believe that even looking at a burger or glass of coke is going to give you an extra tire or heart failure :>
    Indeed. Moderation is the key. May not be healthy, but it won't kill you. Honestly, just about everything we eat (unless you grow it in your own back yard or butcher your own livestock) has something about it that is bad for you. Preservatives/additives/packaging/processing etc. So I don't worry about a coke here and there!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    And a meal that is shitty for you. You can make a nutritious great tasting meal for less than 420 calories.
    Yup, hence why I abuse Soda in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    I seriously doubt I could take a lemon, squeeze the juice on some linoleum, and scrub off several layers of floor wax...
    You my furry friend, would by surprised.

But from reading this thread, not as surprised as most US Citizens who seem to be hearing about the rest of the planet just now.

Deleted
    It's pure poison for your teeth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.
    Except that more and more studies are showing that people are reacting adversely to HFCS in one way or another. I know many of my relatives have severe adverse reactions to Genetically modified corn products (including HFCS, Corn Starch, etc) but have no problems with non-GMO corn. When you go grocery shopping for someone that is allergic to GMO corn products, you start to realize just how much corn is in... everything.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    No people, a glass of Coke won't give you a heart attack nor a death sentence.

It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    The majority of Coke contains HFCS.

Also, the caloric content and acidity is harsh on your teeth, plus the calories are just unnecessary.
    This must be because the majority of coke is consumed in the US, I have been all over and it's all cane sugar. I did find some USA coke in a corner shop in NZ with HFCS, really tastes about the same. Disturbingly after drinking it I got serious cravings for that particular coke after having it, not anything else.

I never drink plain water. It actually dries my throat out and makes me have to keep drinking it. I need something with sugar in it to coat my throat since 90% of the time I can't breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum. Therefore I drink tea with milk and sugar, fruit juice (mainly grape or cranberry with sugar added), Kool-Aid, and occasionally soda. Bottled water is the biggest ripoff ever foisted on the consumer.

I'm 64 and still have all my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth just to head those comments off. You know what the biggest killer of your teeth is? It's smoking and pot smoking is worse than tobacco. Have you ever seen a heavy pot smoker who didn't have absolutely terrible teeth? I haven't. Smoking deteriorates the gums and eventually the teeth as well.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2012-11-16 at 07:07 AM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything that's good in life is either immoral, illegal, or unhealthy.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    no it doesn't
    Yes, Sugar generally does perk you up, hence why most energy drinks are packed with the stuff.

However, I suffer from hyperglycemia, so it makes me very, very tired. When I get drowsy after having a can of coke, if I give in to it and take a nap, I'll wake up 4 hours later feeling groggy as hell. I don't drink sugar or eat chips (fries) or most carbs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Sugar and HFCS are basically the same thing. Pretending HFCS is remotely more "bad" for you than sugar is just stupid.

Sugar is processed from the sugarcane grass, and HFCS is processed from the corn grain. Both are around 50/50 glucose/fructose. Both affect the body in basically identical ways. Stop acting like HFCS is so evil when the reality is that *both* are probably the worst "acceptable" things a person can consume.
    Before I'd ever heard of HFCS, before I cared about the difference in the way my food or drinks got sweeter, before I learned cursive handwriting, I learned that some sweet drinks made me nauseous, and some sweet drinks did not. Later in life, I discovered that the difference between the two was that one contained HFCS and made me feel sick, while the other did not contain HFCS and did not make me feel sick. This wasn't even something on my parents or school's radar, it was just how life was. I also had a peanut allergy (not Epi-Pen degree, but a very small chunk of baked peanut will still cause my throat to swell), so I was accustomed to simply avoiding those things that caused me to react badly.

A lot of people don't have any immediately adverse reactions to a variety of things. That doesn't actually mean that it's ok for them. We all present reactions to different things in different ways. I would also argue that alcohol and smoke are a bit higher up on the "worst acceptable things a person can consume."

I wish Americans had more alternatives, rather than Hecho en Mexico. I think it's unfortunate that HFCS is so profitable that it's not worth using the land to grow healthier, more useful crops. Which isn't to say I'm particularly knowledgeable about agriculture, but surely they could be growing something besides corn, right? Why the insistence on sticking with HFCS? I don't JUST want cheaper. I want affordable and not as bad for me - which doesn't have to be a sweetener of ANY type, because I'm frankly not a huge fan of sweet stuff to begin with (gimme that savory, that umami).

Soda is the number one source of added calories in people's diets, plain and simple.

If you drink soda on a regular basis, just try replacing every soda you drink with water instead and I guarantee you that you'll lose a noticeable amount of weight within a couple months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Surely you don't drink an entire bottle.
    Ofcurse i drink a whole bottle if i ever buy one. Whats the point of only drinking half of it? ;P

The real danger is more likely the acidity of Coke more than anything.

And btw; HFCS, white sugar, and fructose (fruit sugar) behave exactly the same when ingested. It is the fiber in fruits, nuts, vegetables etc that keep the sugar from affecting you negatively.

Of course it's not bad. It just depends on how often, just like with any negative food or drink. This is where the problem lies. The amount consumed. If you watch the amounts and intervals of when you have it, you won't be affected. Maybe except for the acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I never drink plain water. It actually dries my throat out and makes me have to keep drinking it. I need something with sugar in it to coat my throat since 90% of the time I can't breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum. Therefore I drink tea with milk and sugar, fruit juice (mainly grape or cranberry with sugar added), Kool-Aid, and occasionally soda. Bottled water is the biggest ripoff ever foisted on the consumer.

I'm 64 and still have all my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth just to head those comments off. You know what the biggest killer of your teeth is? It's smoking and pot smoking is worse than tobacco. Have you ever seen a heavy pot smoker who didn't have absolutely terrible teeth? I haven't. Smoking deteriorates the gums and eventually the teeth as well.
    64 and still no clue. I've seen plenty of potsmokers (also heavy potsmokers) who look just like normal people or sometimes even healthier than the average person. The ones you have seen are just people who don't take care of themselves but this doesn't have anything to do with smoking pot.
    Not that smoking isn't bad for your teeth, ofcourse it is. Just like coca cola.

How can water dry out your throat? Really horrible you have to keep drinking water then, lol.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-11-16 at 08:30 AM.