Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The family I am currently living with got a cat about 6 months ago (she is also 6 months old).

Had zero problems with her until ~2 months ago. She started being extremely rude and annoying.

I can best describe it with some examples:

1) We all eat, she goes under the table and jumps on somebody from below. Claws right into our legs or hands if we had them under the table for some reason. I have some serious injuries already. My arm looks like I was in war.

2) Something she only does with me. If I walk without shoes on she always jumps my feet and trys to bite me and scratches me. Putting her away only makes her attack again. Only way to stop her is to put some shoes on or to carry her into another room.

3) She fights my dog for the dogs food. I always have to seperate the cat when feeding my dog, or she would simply eat everything away. This cat eats fucking dogfood

4) We build a scratch tree for her, but she just doesnt want to fucking use it. Instead she scratches all the old and valuable furniture. The old man in the house is getting extremely pissed by her and starts being aggressive. I try to calm him down and not to attack the cat but I think he is reaching his limit; and I can understand him. The furniture is really expensive and it would be a shame if a cat damages it.

She was a wonderfull cat until two months ago... calm, yet playfull. She has a huge garden to play in, but now she refuses to go outside because it's getting colder.

My dog isnt a problem. She's leaving the cat completely alone. She's ignoring the cat 100%, and for the most time the cat doesnt give a f about my dog, too.

We thought it might be because of her hormones... she's just about that age where she could start breeding, so we took her to the vet and got her sterilized. After ~4 days of being silent and groggy from the operation, she is just back to being a huge cunt. Old behavior, no changes.

My friend had a cat once, and it didnt show any of this antisocial behavior.

What did we do wrong, and what can we do to fix her?

ps.: She is also hungry all the time. All. the. time. If I want to eat a banana in the kitchen she trys to steal it from me....
    Yet the vet says that she is actually too fat and eats too much. How does this work, since we are not overfeeding her in any way?!
    1.) As she is still young I suggest you that you start training her. A soft gentle slap on the back around tail and loud "NO" will do fine. Just show her that she is doing something wrong and when she will feel she will slowly stop doing it. I trained my cat that he understands loud "NO" and if this doesn't work I jump on him and slap him on his but. Cat will understand punishment. Also try giving her some treats when she behaves good. NEVER EVER slap your cat on head or tummy. Always in areas where she has bones. Back around tails is perfect for that.

2.) When she does that next time, just gently kick her away with foot and again say loud "NO". Also here loud hand clap might help. Or give her one or two on her but.

3.) I have never had a dog myself, but as I read somewhere owners who have cat and dog they feed them separately and if cat is annoying dog, they lock them up in one room or take them to their bowl and put their mouth into their food. Also here use directions from point 1.

4.) Don't build scratch post. Just don't. Some cats don't like it at all. Specially if it is just plain wood. Go to pet store and buy proper cat tree. It doesn't need to be very big. For around 30-50€ you get something nice. Also buy catnip. When you bring that home, brush a lot of catnip on tree and then put cat on. If she will smell catnip, she will enjoy it and with time she will see that she can scratch it as well. Also when she is scratching something that must not be damaged by cat, use direction from point 1. And also you can clip her claws a bit if she is indoor over winter. My cat is full time indoor cat so he has claws clipped every 2 weeks. Also he doesn't scratch anything else than his scratching posts and his bed and some his toys. If you decide to clip her claws I suggest to do it around 1mm and watch out to not overdo it. You can damage her inner claw stuff if you clip too much and cat can start bleeding. So be very careful and first time it might be little hard, but just hold firmly your cat and also ask someone to help you holding other paws. My cat now loves clipping as I massage his paws during clipping while my GF does it.
    Also if you can spray furniture with some lemon juice mixed with water over some surfaces. Cats hate lemon smell. You can also buy some spray that has similar smell and keeps away cats as it smells bad for them. I use that spray on computer cables as my cat like to bite strings.

When cat is 6-1 year old you have time to teach her and tame her to your will. Later it's going to be very hard. Also don't be afraid to slap cat around bottom. You have to show cat who is master and who is not. If you won't show her that you are master, she will lead you around and eat your nerves. When slapping use proper force. Not too much and strong enough so cat will feel little pain or discomfort. If you don't want to slap cat, then another solution is to spray her with water, but with that you will only increase her fear against water. Also keep in mind that if cat is behaving violently she doesn't like something. That may be food, toys, bed, scratching post, sand in her toilet or maybe have some health issues.

If your cat eats too much, feed her 3 times per day and only one can of food. If she is still hungry, give her some hard food (dunno what is English term - briquettes). Cat will have some difficult time to chew that up so she will soon get bored of eating too much. Also play with your cat. Cat is not just animal to have it around. It's very active even if you don't think so. Buy some plushy mice and balls. I play football with my cat sometimes and we kick the ball all around flat as two maniacs Also you can buy a toy - stick with feathers on one end and train her reflexes. Some people also uses pointer lasers to play with cats. If she cannot go outside and she is used to be outside then she is missing some action of hunting and playing.

My cat is now 3 years old and he is the most cute, cuddly and playful so far in my life. He is most sweet of all cats I known. He gets food 2 times per day: breakfast and lunch from can and at dinner briquettes. He eats around 200g of wet food and around 50-100g of dry food per day. This is normal for around 4 kg heavy cat. If he is hungry he doesn't meow but he comes to me and poke me with his paw Also he wakes me up at the morning and keeps me warm during winter - yes he sleeps on my bed with me and my GF in my bedroom.

If your cat doesn't respond to Catnip, try mint. Mint and Catnip are both members of the Mint family. Catnip is usually more attractive, but not always. Also pimentos, cats fucking love pimentos. If she's having a crazy burst of energy, throw a stuffed olive on the floor and watch her go after the pimento.

Also, a cat of her age is a wound up ball of energy, so she needs an outlet for her energy, so she will act crazily. Most cats are "Rude" until adulthood, when they become more docile.

Also keep in mind cats are nocturnal hunters, so they are most energetic at night. So if you are keeping her locked up at night, but letting her out in the day when she wants to nap, she'll have excess energy issues.

The waterbottle thing works wonders.

But catnip was a huge failure. She doesnt give a crap about it. Smells, shakes head, walks away. Mehhh....

But catnip was a huge failure. She doesnt give a crap about it. Smells, shakes head, walks away. Mehhh....
    I guess she's in the ~30% of cats who doesn't respond to catnip. Bad luck I suppose.

Make sure you keep the water bottle away from other people who might want to spray her for the fun of it. Spraying her when she's not doing anything bad will confuse her and work against your efforts to correct her behavior.

Also, are you using any positive reinforcement as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    I understand, you wrote that you feed your cat and she is like always hungry. How about... to give her more food? ^.^ Fact that she keeps scratching furniture might be explained by bad ration. Make sure cat gets enough of meat and milk portion. And don't give her dry cat-food, there is nothing good about it.
    Not understanding about something is fine, but giving advice based on ignorance is not a good thing.

Might've been bad catnip as well. Buy a toy with catnip in a good packaging that hasn't been produced too long ago and try it as well. Even if she doesn't like catnip it's no big deal - enough ecxercise will calm her down just as much.
    Last edited by Pokot; 2012-11-18 at 10:50 PM.