College Level Debate on Drinking Age

Today I have to debate with another person on lowering the drinking age to 18. I'm the affirmative (Meaning I want the drinking age lowered) and hes the negative. I'm opening the debate with my arguments, but I need good rebuttals for the most obvious arguments that he would likely make about keeping the drinking age at 21. Any of you debate nerds from school around? Or perhaps some one who has done some research on the topic in question?
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2012-11-15 at 10:38 PM.

A very strong point you can make:

Higher drinking age has had little-to-no impact no deterring youth from drinking. This is a fact.
    Then argue, by having the age at 21, it widens the net of youth that will be caught up in the criminal justice system (the people 18-20 that would otherwise not be).
    From that argue that research shows those exposed to the criminal justice system are at increased rate to get caught up it in again (more likely to re-offend).
    Thus, a higher drinking age is contributing to the pipeline of putting young people in prison (which would otherwise grow up to be productive members of society) and is doing more harm than good.

And i'm sure you can find data on other countries with a lower drinking age which:

have similar if not lower drunk driving incidences.
    have similar if not lower criminal offences while being intoxicated.

(I'm assuming you're from the United States, as its the only country I know of with such an absurdly high drinking age)
    Last edited by Calimon-ZJ; 2012-11-15 at 10:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DWguild View Post
    A very strong point you can make:

Higher drinking age has had little-to-no impact no deterring youth from drinking. This is a fact.
    Then argue, by having the age at 21, it widens the net of youth that will be caught up in the criminal justice system (the people 18-20 that would otherwise not be).
    From that argue that research shows those exposed to the criminal justice system are at increased rate to get caught up it in again (re-offend).
    Thus, a higher drinking age is contributing to the pipeline of putting young people in prison (which would otherwise grow up to be productive members of society) and is doing more harm than good.
    Kind of the same argument for legalizing marijuana, isn't it?^^ (I'm all for it, btw, both alcohol and weed)

And i'm sure you can find data on other countries with a lower drinking age, with rates of under-aged drinking, drunk driving etc... being no different.
    Here in Austria the drinking age is 16 years for "soft alcoholic drinks" (anything below 15% I believe) and 18 for "hard drinks". Works fine imo, as most people make their first experiences (and imo, should make them) with nearly anything in their youth. Alcohol should of course be handled with responsibility, but that's where parents come into play. I don't want the government to control whether I think my kids are old enough to try alcohol or not. Surely, there has to be some regulation, but 16/18 is enough, imo.
    Last edited by mmoc7168d263de; 2012-11-15 at 10:56 PM.

wtf? One of the mods thinks Debate discussion isnt FUN STUFF?

Anyway I have good arguements, I need good rebuttals for arguments that the other guy will make to keep drinking age 21. Most of what you guys mentioned I've already got information lined up on (Lower drunk driving related accidents in European countries, ect).

Also, you are a little off about the argument about 18-20 year olds being in prison for alcohol abuse. Only 2 in 1000 cases is an arrest made in under age drinking. My argument is that enforcement is expensive and doesn't actually work.

Deleted
    All of Europe drinks by the age of 18, it means we get that "phase" out of our system earlier and we "mature" faster. Hard to explain but I hope you know what I am on about.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-11-16 at 12:04 AM.

Aren't you technically an adult when you're 18? If so, why can't you decide at that point for yourself whats good for you and what isn't?

Besides that, what is so special about the age 21?

Also, the rules in Holland are similar to those in Australia it seems

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    wtf? One of the mods thinks Debate discussion isnt FUN STUFF?
    I've seen the report you just sent, and trust me, this ins't a thread that should be in Fun Stuff forum, this is more appropriate in Gen OT.

OT: You could search and see what are the other countries' drinking age requirement. I'm sure you'll get some countries that say that people can drink when they hit 18 years old and maybe even 16.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    If you are old enough to be enlisted in the military, defend, possibly die for the dickweeds in suits who run the show, the least they can do is allow you the right to also vote, drive, and have a freakin beer.
    But seriously...I've seen vids of how shit is on spring break in the states...18 year olds shouldn't drink. And yah it's cool, come north, drinking age in B.C. is 19, Alberta is 18, but when you do, try to minimalize how much of an ass you are to the people there
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    All of Europe drinks before the age of 18, it means we get that "phase" out of our system earlier and we "mature" faster. Hard to explain but I hope you know what I am on about.
    Isnt the legal age in England 18? Cuz i remember going to England and couldnt buy alcohol even though i had been drinking for years at home.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess a good way to think is about all the bad things that can happen by drinking:

Violence
    Alcohol poisoning
    Reduced brain development
    Drink driving
    etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-te...cts_of_alcohol might be a good place to get some ideas...Obviously wikipedia isn't a good reference for things, but it gives you a starting point to go find real sources!

Then use facts from the US (21+) vs other countries where it's 18 or lower (Australia is one, but most places in Europe are even lower than us) to prove that there is no difference in statistics of the other. (ie, there's just as much violence in 18- when compared to 21+). Obviously just about everyone has suggested it so far...and that's because there's already hard facts on it. Just make sure you get as many topics in step 1 above so it works!

Beyond that, make stuff up, your teacher won't know any difference if you look confident enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Isnt the legal age in England 18? Cuz i remember going to England and couldnt buy alcohol even though i had been drinking for years at home.
    Yes, I misstyped, I should have typed "by the age of 18". Ironically, my mistake was caused by drinking a lot of Gin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    Aren't you technically an adult when you're 18? If so, why can't you decide at that point for yourself whats good for you and what isn't?

Besides that, what is so special about the age 21?

Also, the rules in Holland are similar to those in Australia it seems
    Its a superficial number essentially. The frontal lobe of the brain which is basically the reasoning part doesn't finish developing until as late as 25. 21 was like an average the government decided on.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for counter-arguments, I suspect your opponent is going to argue that changing the drinking age would cause a sudden spike of teenage drinkers, etc. I would counter this argument simply by saying that changing the legal age would of course need to be accompanied with a transition plan/strategy in the form of public awareness campaigns, seminars in high school/university, etc.

Along with talking about Europe stats, I'd also refer to Canada as well. We have two provinces where the legal age is 18 and the rest are 19. Might be worth bringing it up if he tries the whole "But Europe is very different from the U.S..." line.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    All of Europe drinks by the age of 18, it means we get that "phase" out of our system earlier and we "mature" faster. Hard to explain but I hope you know what I am on about.
    You mean the binge drinking idiots who would give Amy Winehouse a run for her money out on a Friday and Saturday night who have drank several times recommended weekly amount in a couple of hours and act like they are king of the world to impress the other idiots they are with. The ones that wake up in a puddle of their own Kebab fueled vomit not knowing what they did, or where they currently are and proclaim loudly to anyone who can withstand the smell "Fooking blinding night I had, cant remember any of it. Giz a fag mate and a couple of quid to get 'ome"

Yes you mean the people that make ordinary, older, or more mature drinkers / party people uncomfortable in public places in a night out and make us be on our guard in case one of them think it is cleaver to try and sucker punch someone to act big in front of a group of girls and get some you tube fame.

Yes you mean people like this

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Honestly this seems like a pointless debate, theres literally no reason to have a drinking age at 21.
    The real problem with alcohol isn't the drinking age its the glamour and drinking culture surrounding alcohol. Make drinking legal, making being drunk in public illegal and nail the idiots who kick my shop windows in at 3am in the morning as they stumble home drunk (note that it is not young people but middle aged people that are responsible for the damages 99% of the time). Change the culture about drinking, right now its "cool" to get blind drunk and make an idiot of yourself.

Its not just young people that are the problem but that is when a lot of the issues arise from. The drinking age in my country used to be 21, it was dropped to 18 and youth alcohol related crime and accidents rose and the government is now attempting to revert the changes nearly a decade later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    You mean the binge drinking idiots who would give Amy Winehouse a run for her money out on a Friday and Saturday night who have drank several times recommended weekly amount in a couple of hours and act like they are king of the world to impress the other idiots they are with. The ones that wake up in a puddle of their own Kebab fueled vomit not knowing what they did, or where they currently are and proclaim loudly to anyone who can withstand the smell "Fooking blinding night I had, cant remember any of it. Giz a fag mate and a couple of quid to get 'ome"

Yes you mean the people that make ordinary, older, or more mature drinkers / party people uncomfortable in public places in a night out and make us be on our guard in case one of them think it is cleaver to try and sucker punch someone to act big in front of a group of girls and get some you tube fame.

Yes you mean people like this

Yes, but we would have those people at any age. It is a cultural problem not one based on how old they can start drinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why stop at 21? There is no precise age when someone is ready to control their alcohol consumption. The age is arbitrary and may as well be 155 because there is not a known age when people all of a sudden gain self control.

I would get rid of age limitations. Some of the stupidest things I ever did in my life were all somewhat related to drinking while trying to avoid authority figures. I want my kids to drink under my watch if they are going to drink anyways.

Imagine all of the dead kids that would not have died if they could have been allowed to drink at a safe place instead of taking to the roads.

No idea what statistics are, but I know that I drank much more before the age of 21. Same with most of my friends.
    I like sandwiches