1. #1

    Commonly used Rift Acronyms/nicknames.

    I'm new to the game (fresh lvl50 atm), and I see way too many unfamiliar acronyms/nicknames being tossed around. I know some of them are raids/dungeons (though idk which as I'm not familiar with them yet). I also see this term "chocolate" and have no idea what it means.

    Would it be possible for someone to post the acronyms/nicknames that they know and give a short description on what they mean?

  2. #2
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Chocolate Rift essentially is like Vanilla WoW. The game pre-expansion.

    MMDD: master mode darkening deeps. Some may say MDD.
    MMCD: Master mode Caduceus Rise. Sometimes called quesadilla. (sp)
    SL: Storm Legion.
    RR: Raid rift
    XR/EXR: expert rift.
    wf: warfront

    I'm a little inebriated right now so these were the first that came to mind.

  3. #3
    "Chocolate" is just the hipster way of saying "vanilla", since vanilla is just too mainstream, yo.

    It just means the original version of Rift, pre-expansion. It's extremely annoying, considering the term 'vanilla' has been used for eons now. Every time I see someone say chocolate in that reference I correct them lol. Usually leads to a lot of QQ'ing and arguments in chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  4. #4
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    To be fair, chocolate makes sense, since Rift 1.11 is NOT at all the same game as Rift 1.0...

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Requiemcliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere.
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To be fair, chocolate makes sense, since Rift 1.11 is NOT at all the same game as Rift 1.0...
    But on that same logic, most MMOs follow that mechanic, RIFT is no different in this regard.

    I will gladly admit that RIFT is more malleable for a game, and has been able to do a fair amount more in content, but really, every MMO changes a fair amount from launch.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdowhatIwant View Post
    I'm new to the game (fresh lvl50 atm), and I see way too many unfamiliar acronyms/nicknames being tossed around. I know some of them are raids/dungeons (though idk which as I'm not familiar with them yet). I also see this term "chocolate" and have no idea what it means.

    Would it be possible for someone to post the acronyms/nicknames that they know and give a short description on what they mean?
    chocolate refers to vanilla rift. It makes no sense, but it was done in order to be different from WoW.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  7. #7
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    chocolate refers to vanilla rift. It makes no sense, but it was done in order to be different from WoW.
    This plays a part as well, I should say I do understand this as well, I was also just saying another reason why. :P Personally I find that Rift has changed so much pre-expansion I feel chocolate is well-deserved. A lot of games "change" or whatever before their first expansion, but bloody hell, Rift gave leveling past level cap amongst a slew of other awesome features I don't feel like listing right now.

    I find chocolate to be fitting. :P

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Chocolate Rift essentially is like Vanilla WoW. The game pre-expansion.

    MMDD: master mode darkening deeps. Some may say MDD.
    MMCD: Master mode Caduceus Rise. Sometimes called quesadilla. (sp)
    SL: Storm Legion.
    RR: Raid rift
    XR/EXR: expert rift.
    wf: warfront

    I'm a little inebriated right now so these were the first that came to mind.
    MMDD is also sometimes MDD
    MMCD is not correct - it's MMCR or MCR
    You'd predominantly see DRR instead of RR, since most folks were only interested in doing the daily raid rift.
    Random / Expert - The Rift equivalent of random heroics in WoW.
    GDKP - gold for loot, generally in raids. Instead of /rolling on loot, you bid. Total collected funds are split among everyone at end of the raid.
    -icar - suffix for cleric specs that include the Justicar spec, which used to provide awesome heals based on damage done.

    There's gonna be a bunch of new two letter acronyms for the 7 new dungeons.

    Voice coms, you have:
    Vent - Ventrillo
    TS/TS3 - Teamspeak 3
    Mumble - Mumble

    In trade or max level chat, you'll see:
    WTT - wants to trade
    WTS - wants to sell
    WTB - wants to buy
    AH - Auction house. Often in the context of either "it's available on the AH" or "cheaper price than AH".

    For organizing groups, you'll see:
    LFG - Is looking for a group
    LFM - Is in a group, looking for more
    LF#M - is in a group, looking for # more

    For locations, you'll need to know:
    TB - Tempest Bay, new "capital" city.
    IPP - Iron Pine Peak, the location of the portal to Brevane and Dusken (specifically, at the Chancel of Labors)

    Those are the real basics that I can think of offhand.

  9. #9
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Like I said, a little inebriated.

    I did mention MDD after MMDD.
    MMCD was likely alcohol-influenced. And stuff. lol

    I play Rift a lot and I know all the acronyms, my head was just very unfocused earlier, it would seem. ;p

  10. #10
    What does dh stand for? I see people looking for a group for that a lot.

  11. #11
    Drowned Halls. 10 man Tier 1 dungeon. It was in the weekly dungeon rotation a lot.

  12. #12
    Drowned Halls - its a raid
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  13. #13
    Level 50 Raids:
    DH - Drowned Halls - 10 man, easy. On weekly rotation.
    GP - Gilded Prophecy - 10 man, easy. On weekly rotation.
    GSB - GreenScale's Blight - 20 man, medium-easy. On weekly rotation.
    RoS - River of Souls - 20 man, medium-easy. On weekly rotation.
    HK - HammerKnell - 20 man, medium.
    PF - Primeval Feast - 10 man, hard.
    RotP - Rise of the Pheonix - 10 man, hard.
    ID - Infernal Dawn - 20 man, hard.

    Ratings are as per my gear level at 50 and experience with PUGs (Pick Up Group), and is mostly irrelevant now that max level is 60. For the ones marked "on weekly rotation", it was important to distinguish between groups that were doing "just the weekly" (and thereby, not all the bosses), or "full". There'll likely eventually be a similar setup in SL.

  14. #14
    I think the term "chocolate" sounds pretty stupid to be honest.

    Its just a bad attempt at not using the word "vanilla".

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I think the term "chocolate" sounds pretty stupid to be honest.

    Its just a bad attempt at not using the word "vanilla".
    Both are derivatives of beans.. cocoa bean, vanilla bean. if one is stupid, so is the other.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    Both are derivatives of beans.. cocoa bean, vanilla bean. if one is stupid, so is the other.
    In that sense, yes, you are correct.

  17. #17
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Well mm, I prefer dark twilight chocolate of the 92% variety.

    Dark Twilight 92% Chocolate Rift. :P

    How's that for stupid? :P

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well mm, I prefer dark twilight chocolate of the 92% variety.

    Dark Twilight 92% Chocolate Rift. :P

    How's that for stupid? :P
    I still vote Bacon Rift, and SL is Maple Rift. In honor of Elrar.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  19. #19
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    I still vote Bacon Rift, and SL is Maple Rift. In honor of Elrar.
    What about Mead Rift?

    Elrar gave me crispy bacon and mead. :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •