Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Ironically science and history disagree with you. Look at Portuguese drug rates before and after they legalized everything.
    the didn't legalize it...they "decriminalized" it:

    "Portugal's move to decriminalize does not mean people can carry around, use, and sell drugs free from police interference. That would be legalization. Rather, all drugs are "decriminalized," meaning drug possession, distribution, and use is still illegal. While distribution and trafficking is still a criminal offense, possession and use is moved out of criminal courts and into a special court where each offender's unique situation is judged by legal experts, psychologists, and social workers. Treatment and further action is decided in these courts, where addicts and drug use is treated as a public health service rather than referring it to the justice system (like the U.S.)"

    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/portu...#ixzz2CMrHDHzi

    So in other words anyone trying to hold up Portugal as an example of what happens when you "legalize everything" just doesn't have their facts straight. Portugal is what you get when you take a kinder approach to penalizing drug abusers. Instead of tossing them in jail they try to get them medical help.

  2. #82
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    maybe not all.... stuff like LSD should still be illegal
    Awwwww party pooper.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  3. #83
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Thing is, ita, that legalizing it and controlling it a la alcohol wouldn't make much of a difference. Many people drink occasionally. Some people drink a little every day - a glass of wine with dinner, a nightcap before sleep, whatever. Many more people drink on special occasions and otherwise never touch the stuff. Some people don't drink at all.

    Drugs wouldn't be any different. Alcohol is a highly addictive substance - maybe not quite on the level of, say, heroin, but it's addictive and has a physical component to that. And just like there are Alcoholics Anonymous groups and rehabilitation, so would there be for drugs. The thing is, not a whole lot would change from legalization after things even out, except you'd be taking away a major income (and therefore, power) source from criminal groups.
    Alcohol is not addictive at all. Just recently, I was drunk every night for 2 weeks in a row during the summer vacation in college and I feel no craving for it. In fact, even the smell of alcohol made me a bit nauseous after that. But for example with tobacco, it's much much worse. I tried it when I was 14 or so because of friends and after a week, it was already hard to stop. Luckily I never smoked more than a few cigarettes a day so quitting was actually not that hard. But it still took years.

    Now if a drug with the addictiveness of tobacco that actually gets you "high" (lets face it, smoking really doesnt do anything after you get used to it) would be readily available..
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Alcohol is not addictive at all. Just recently, I was drunk every night for 2 weeks in a row during the summer vacation in college and I feel no craving for it. In fact, even the smell of alcohol made me a bit nauseous after that. But for example with tobacco, it's much much worse. I tried it when I was 14 or so because of friends and after a week, it was already hard to stop. Luckily I never smoked more than a few cigarettes a day so quitting was actually not that hard. But it still took years.

    Now if a drug with the addictiveness of tobacco that actually gets you "high" (lets face it, smoking really doesnt do anything after you get used to it) would be readily available..
    Again, what you say is not what science or studies have said. Alcohol is quite addictive. In fact it is considered a disease.

    Meanwhile, Tobacco itself isn't really addictive, the additional nicotine additives are, however.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-11-16 at 07:29 AM.

  5. #85
    In the UK they have heroin partially legalized. There are clinics set up by the government to give people their heroin dose, and once they get their dose for the day they are put in their system saying they had their dose and can't get another one for 24 hours. The process from start to finish is done by the government and is regulated. Plus it does make jobs for a lot of people. They also have a system set up for if you decide you want to quit using heroin. They ween you off the stuff and you see a counselor the whole course.

    You could do that with a multitude of drugs.

  6. #86
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Again, what you say is not what science or studies have said. Alcohol is quite addictive. In fact it is considered a disease.

    Meanwhile, Tobacco itself isn't addictive, the nicotine additives are, however.
    To be honest, it doesn't even matter is it was addictive. Maybe it's personal and some people just dont get addicted but the point is that you can't ban alcohol anyway. If they did, people would still make it in their homes because all you need for it is something with sugar or starch content. It would start to ferment even if you dont add yeast to it because of natural yeast flying around everywhere.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't even matter is it was addictive. Maybe it's personal and some people just dont get addicted but the point is that you can't ban alcohol anyway. If they did, people would still make it in their homes because all you need for it is something with sugar or starch content. It would start to ferment even if you dont add yeast to it because of natural yeast flying around everywhere.
    I guess you can't ban weed either because you can grow pot in your closet? Oh wait...

  8. #88
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

    It only works if the list is torn up and tossed out, leave 1 drug illegal and there will be a criminal network selling it on the streets in hours.
    how could the government legitimately sell and tax alot of these drugs though? meth? heroine? it is just insane...decriminalizing it maybe but selling this to your own people seems insane.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  9. #89
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I guess you can't ban weed either because you can grow pot in your closet? Oh wait...
    Thats different. Marihuana comes from only one plant and you can ban that. But you could make alcohol from your tea with sugar too.. or anything really. My parents made wine from apples when I was little for example. You just can't control that unless they start randomly searching peoples houses.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Thats different. Marihuana comes from only one plant and you can ban that. But you could make alcohol from your tea with sugar too.. or anything really. My parents made wine from apples when I was little for example. You just can't control that unless they start randomly searching peoples houses.
    You can make alcohol out of tea? I did not know that. I thought it needed a grain or fruit base.

    You can ban the plant marijuana (like they did), but to think that seeds and cuttings wouldn't get through customs (although it was here already, so... you can't think you would eliminate it all). You can't find most of it without searching peoples houses either.

    I agree alcohol can be made from more things, but banning plants is hard, unless you go the way of NZ and have very strict in/out procedures to prevent the problems australia is having with wildlife/plants from other parts of the world.

  11. #91
    I would rather keep things as they are. There is no reason to change things, people are just wanting their little high. Get over it.

  12. #92
    Old God PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,766
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't even matter is it was addictive. Maybe it's personal and some people just dont get addicted but the point is that you can't ban alcohol anyway. If they did, people would still make it in their homes because all you need for it is something with sugar or starch content. It would start to ferment even if you dont add yeast to it because of natural yeast flying around everywhere.
    And you can grow cannabis and poppies in your back yard, and methamphetamine can be synthesized from fairly common household items. Getting enough to create batches large enough to sale is pretty difficult these days, but I don't think it'd be hard to get enough stuff to make a batch for your own personal use.

    I'm not sure what your point is, man.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  13. #93
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You can make alcohol out of tea? I did not know that. I thought it needed a grain or fruit base.
    Yea, you can make it from pretty much anything. Ive even heard they made it from manure in World War 2 but not sure if I believe that. Still, pretty much anything organic ferments, even water with sugar in it can be made into alcohol if you add yeast to it.

    Growing pot is a lot harder though. You'd need a greenhouse or a lot of place, special lights set up etc. to grow it and it's usually pretty noticeable. Still even illegal, a lot of people do it and it's fine. They want to use it and know what they're getting into. But I still support keeping it illegal, just decriminalized to reduce people accidentally or on a whim getting introduced to it and possibly getting addicted.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Yea, you can make it from pretty much anything. Ive even heard they made it from manure in World War 2 but not sure if I believe that. Still, pretty much anything organic ferments, even water with sugar in it can be made into alcohol if you add yeast to it.

    Growing pot is a lot harder though. You'd need a greenhouse or a lot of place, special lights set up etc. to grow it and it's usually pretty noticeable. Still even illegal, a lot of people do it and it's fine. They want to use it and know what they're getting into. But I still support keeping it illegal, just decriminalized to reduce people accidentally or on a whim getting introduced to it and possibly getting addicted.
    Weed isn't addictive. Not even like Alcohol is. You just need a fenced in backyard or a grow light in your closet to grow weed.

    Why do you support keeping it illegal? It is already readily available, is less addictive than Alcohol (see: Alcoholism), and makes cartels tons of money purely because it is illegal. What benefits are there for keeping it illegal?

  15. #95
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Weed isn't addictive. Not even like Alcohol is. You just need a fenced in backyard or a grow light in your closet to grow weed.

    Why do you support keeping it illegal? It is already readily available, is less addictive than Alcohol (see: Alcoholism), and makes cartels tons of money purely because it is illegal. What benefits are there for keeping it illegal?
    Well, take alcohol or tobacco for example. It's being sold in every supermarket. Every time I go there I notice it and sometimes buy alcohol, especially if there's some campaign and they sell some for very low price. If weed was sold like that, a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't would buy it. It would end up in a lot of homes, become much more readily available for teens and even children. Just no..

    I dont support throwing people in jail for possession but making it legal is completely different matter.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Well, take alcohol or tobacco for example. It's being sold in every supermarket. Every time I go there I notice it and sometimes buy alcohol, especially if there's some campaign and they sell some for very low price. If weed was sold like that, a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't would buy it. It would end up in a lot of homes, become much more readily available for teens and even children. Just no..

    I dont support throwing people in jail for possession but making it legal is completely different matter.
    So how is weed worse for teens and small children than Tobacco or Alcohol?

  17. #97
    Field Marshal noxatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    86
    This is such a ridiculous notion and it's hilarious how there's still only one signature haha

  18. #98
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So how is weed worse for teens and small children than Tobacco or Alcohol?
    Doesn't matter if it's worse. It's not good. If tobacco would be illegal today, I would also support keeping it illegal but the cat is already out of the bag with that one and alcohol is just impossible to control.

    One bad thing being legal doesn't justify another made so.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's worse. It's not good. If tobacco would be illegal today, I would also support keeping it illegal but the cat is already out of the bag with that one and alcohol is just impossible to control.

    One bad thing being legal doesn't justify another made so.
    Meh ok. I don't agree with you but I see where you are coming from.

  20. #100
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Meh ok. I don't agree with you but I see where you are coming from.
    Yea, same here. I see why you think legalizing pot is ok too but this thread isn't really about pot. I dont know why we singled it out, its about all drugs and even if one can argue that marihuana isn't that bad and is healthier than tobacco, the rest of the drugs are certainly very bad for you and a lot of them kill you over 5-10 years once you start using them.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •