Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,345

    Shaman Healer issues (WoL provided)

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-k0glzu6i282edrs6/

    Hello, being no expert on shaman healers, we are just having several issues with our own and would like help pointing out what he needs to fix. Just have a tendency for our paladin to be extremely high up on heals compared to him constantly. He is on most of our last two weeks as well so feel free to check other raiding days if need be (though some fights he is DPS which is kinda weak as well). If there is anything he can fix, please let me know.

    EDIT: Sorry for inconsistent logs as well for past weeks, been having tech issues.

    Armory provided: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uthkh/advanced
    Last edited by LocNess; 2012-11-16 at 05:40 AM.
    Battletag: Rhaegas#1141
    Armory: Vale
    How to Fire Mage for 6.0 Guide

  2. #2
    Armory is down atm for some reason. From what I am seeing, he is relying on Riptide for almost half his healing. Not using Healing Stream Totem to its full potential either. Once the armory is up I can tell you more info, but nothing else atm.

    **I would advise using Totemic Projection instead of Totemic Restoration, Projection is more useful than Restoration due to the fact that most totems will most likely be left out for the full duration. Other than that maybe switching back and forth between Telluric Current and Chaining to see which might help out better.**
    Last edited by Nakida; 2012-11-16 at 06:00 AM. Reason: armory back online

  3. #3
    1) HST not being used enough. By extension Totemic recall glyph makes it free healing.
    2) Riptide being used too much. I'm assuming he's using the glyph. It's a mana drain to do so.
    3) Drop TC. 1200 mana for a 2 second loss of healing is dumb and amounts to nothing. Specially when TR is so much stronger.
    4) This is moreso a finger pointing at the raid itself. Shammy work best when there is a stack of people someplace. If on most fights you're not allowing this to occur, shammy suffer as HR is our strongest spell by far. Even on 10man garalon, a heavy movement fight, when we did it heals and dps basically were close enough together and it was known that as crush approached, a HR would be down inside a target leg and dps needs to stand in it. If you're not giving a shaman the raid awareness he needs, don't be surprised if he suffers. So his HR should be higher, and the raid should be accommodating to allow his HR to be higher.
    5) UE works with HR. most every HR you cast should be UE powered.
    6) CD's aren't being used. I'm seeing some fights with like 1 HTT and 0 ascendance. While they don't need to be used on CD, they should be used every burst period in rotation with other raiders bust CD's. Every fight should see 3-4 CD's used. Not 1-2. And possibly he's using ascendance wrong? It's best used right after a UE powered HR, you then get 10 full seconds of HR procing mists + chain spam on a riptided target. It should almost be as powerful as HTT if done right.

  4. #4
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    56
    Some things I noticed:
    1. Earthshield uptime is low. It's minimal healing, but it buffs the healing off that target, so it's helpful.
    2. I'd suggest the talent Primal Elementalist for most of the fights where there's a lot of raid damage. I only use Unleashed Fury for the few fights where the tank damage is high. The 10% increased to healing for a minute is substantial. I just drop the elemental and have macro-ed to the same button the corresponding channeled spell to increase healing.
    3. I agree that Telluric Currents isn't very helpful on most fights. Swap that out for another beneficial glyph.
    4. He's using chain heal too much and not enough healing rain. I looked at the Stone Guard attempt and healing rain was only .08% of his healing while chain heal was his highest heal at almost 30%. Make sure he's using Unleashed Element prior to as many healing rains as possible.

    The armory is down again. So, I'll take a look again tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland, Vantaa
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    Some things I noticed:
    Make sure he's using Unleashed Element prior to as many healing rains as possible.
    its for direct heals only so chain heal / GHW only. i wouldnt worry too much about the HPS differences since the healing done difference isnt that much imo.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    its for direct heals only so chain heal / GHW only. i wouldnt worry too much about the HPS differences since the healing done difference isnt that much imo.
    it works for every tick of HR.

  7. #7
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,345
    Ok well thank you very much for the help, we will show him the pointers and see if he can improve.
    Battletag: Rhaegas#1141
    Armory: Vale
    How to Fire Mage for 6.0 Guide

  8. #8
    The Patient Madhoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vienna / Austria
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    its for direct heals only so chain heal / GHW only. i wouldnt worry too much about the HPS differences since the healing done difference isnt that much imo.
    Don't mix up Unleashed Elements (skill) with Unleasehd Fury (talent). UE of course works with HR since it boosts your healing done. UF doesn't since it places a buff on the target which boosts your next (single target) heal on that target.
    R.A.I.D - Resto at its destiny


  9. #9
    Mechagnome Italiandk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dô yöû even liƒt¿
    Posts
    671
    Well as the posters above pointed out and from what I see from his armory I'm sorry to tell you but your guild mate need to learn from the basics how Resto works.
    Death Knight -> Italiandk
    Shaman -> Cashrain
    Paladin -> Healyoutru
    Priest -> Ängel
    Monk -> Skadoosh
    Mage -> Icydeath

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof View Post
    Don't mix up Unleashed Elements (skill) with Unleasehd Fury (talent). UE of course works with HR since it boosts your healing done. UF doesn't since it places a buff on the target which boosts your next (single target) heal on that target.
    Pretty sure it buffs HR by 100%
    Xaenicael - Marauder - Legions of Lettow
    Xaenicael - Resto Shaman - Bronze Dragon Flight

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Italiandk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dô yöû even liƒt¿
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    Pretty sure it buffs HR by 100%
    No, it shouldn't. First of all where that 100% buff comes from? We get 30% buff from UE and 50% on target from UF so I don't see how it would be 100% at the end of the day... Secondly, it has already been proved that UF doesn't buff HR while UE does, so if you see a buff to HR from UF it's from the UE part and not from the UF part (UF replaces UE).
    Death Knight -> Italiandk
    Shaman -> Cashrain
    Paladin -> Healyoutru
    Priest -> Ängel
    Monk -> Skadoosh
    Mage -> Icydeath

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    its for direct heals only so chain heal / GHW only. i wouldnt worry too much about the HPS differences since the healing done difference isnt that much imo.
    The tooltip is misleading. However, with as many forums posts about rshamans using UE before healing rain, people should know this by now. It's unfortunate that there's still so much confusion.

    Bottom line - use Unleashed Element prior to dropping healing rain to heal the raid. Swap talents and use Unleashed Fury only if you're on tanks and they'll be taking a lot of damage (i.e. Will of the Emperor) that way you can use UE/UF on the tank and heal them for a crapton!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    The tooltip is misleading. However, with as many forums posts about rshamans using UE before healing rain, people should know this by now. It's unfortunate that there's still so much confusion.

    Bottom line - use Unleashed Element prior to dropping healing rain to heal the raid. Swap talents and use Unleashed Fury only if you're on tanks and they'll be taking a lot of damage (i.e. Will of the Emperor) that way you can use UE/UF on the tank and heal them for a crapton!
    Hes right, it does work. Just UE and HR on yourself and see the difference in healing.

    Can't check armory right now but taking a quick look at logs it looks like hes under utilizing his totems (HST and HTT). On average my HTT does 3mil healing in a fight, almost double his.

  14. #14
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by dokki View Post
    Hes right, it does work. Just UE and HR on yourself and see the difference in healing.

    Can't check armory right now but taking a quick look at logs it looks like hes under utilizing his totems (HST and HTT). On average my HTT does 3mil healing in a fight, almost double his.
    I think you've misunderstood my post. I know UE/HR is buffed! Look me up - I use it alllll the time!!! Tears was the one saying that it was only direct heals, such as Greater Heal and Healing Wave. Not me :P

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    Some things I noticed:
    1. Earthshield uptime is low. It's minimal healing, but it buffs the healing off that target, so it's helpful.
    2. I'd suggest the talent Primal Elementalist for most of the fights where there's a lot of raid damage. I only use Unleashed Fury for the few fights where the tank damage is high. The 10% increased to healing for a minute is substantial. I just drop the elemental and have macro-ed to the same button the corresponding channeled spell to increase healing.
    3. I agree that Telluric Currents isn't very helpful on most fights. Swap that out for another beneficial glyph.
    4. He's using chain heal too much and not enough healing rain. I looked at the Stone Guard attempt and healing rain was only .08% of his healing while chain heal was his highest heal at almost 30%. Make sure he's using Unleashed Element prior to as many healing rains as possible.

    The armory is down again. So, I'll take a look again tomorrow.
    First of all, I don't think that his healing output is alarmingly low. It's within reason of where the paladin is; is there a particular reason for being concerned about his output?

    I agree that his Chain Heal usage is way too high. You basically want to be dropping Healing Rain on CD (or every 15 seconds to line up with ULE's cooldown) as long as there is any AoE damage and it will hit at least 4 people. Chain Heal should be used primarily as a filler spell (when HR, RT, HST are all on cooldown and no single target heals are needed) or as a way to burn off excess mana. CH isn't significantly more efficient than Healing Wave even when it hits 4 targets and the first target has Riptide on it.

    I don't agree that Telluric Currents is a terrible glyph. Even in hard modes, there is often plenty of spare casting time to throw a few Lightning Bolts out. It is better than standing idle or casting Healing Waves on topped off targets, and slightly increases regen. It's a personal preference, but I leave it in for almost every fight.

    Looking at his armory, the most glaring thing is the trinkets. The Egg trinket is really terrible and is worse than the Fruit Barrel from Heroic Stormstout Brewery. He really should just buy the DMC trinket to replace it completely though. He also needs to be consistent and figure out what he is trying to do with his reforging; he seems to be randomly reforging in and out of stats. The most conventional build is to go with either Spirit > Crit > Mastery > Haste or Spirit > Mastery > Crit > Haste. He shouldn't really be reforging into haste, and should definitely consider dropping Echo of the Elements for Ancestral Swiftness.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    I think you've misunderstood my post. I know UE/HR is buffed! Look me up - I use it alllll the time!!! Tears was the one saying that it was only direct heals, such as Greater Heal and Healing Wave. Not me :P
    Sorry Mava, I meant to say you were right, and he was wrong. Quote fail!

    But adding to what tibbee and others have said, I would recommend going Ancestral Swiftness aswell and reforging into mastery/crit, and getting rid of those +haste gems. Having around 20% crit raid buffed will be huge in terms of mana, he can drop Telluric Currents and use Chaining (which I think is pretty useful on 10man ).

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dokki View Post
    Sorry Mava, I meant to say you were right, and he was wrong. Quote fail!

    But adding to what tibbee and others have said, I would recommend going Ancestral Swiftness aswell and reforging into mastery/crit, and getting rid of those +haste gems. Having around 20% crit raid buffed will be huge in terms of mana, he can drop Telluric Currents and use Chaining (which I think is pretty useful on 10man ).
    Glyph of Chaining is only good on fights were there isn't any stacking. (Which would also mean that you would be doing considerably less/no healing rains as well)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by tibbee View Post
    I don't agree that Telluric Currents is a terrible glyph. Even in hard modes, there is often plenty of spare casting time to throw a few Lightning Bolts out. It is better than standing idle or casting Healing Waves on topped off targets, and slightly increases regen. It's a personal preference, but I leave it in for almost every fight.
    You can spend 30 seconds finding spare time to cast lightning bolts, or u can spend 1.5 seconds doing a single recall on hst and get the exact same mana benefit. I can understand leaving it in on top of TR. But to take it in TR's place is dumb.

  19. #19
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynus View Post
    You can spend 30 seconds finding spare time to cast lightning bolts, or u can spend 1.5 seconds doing a single recall on hst and get the exact same mana benefit. I can understand leaving it in on top of TR. But to take it in TR's place is dumb.
    I agree that Totemic Recall is better than Telluric Current. There's no doubt about that. However, I find that I spend too much time watching the totem timer to recall it near the last tick. For me, I'd just prefer to make sure I have enough regen so as to not worry about not recalling the totem.

    For those people that say that there's always time to cast Lightning Bolts in fights, I'd like to know if they're running 10 man and/or heroic content, because two healing fights...I can't lose a few gcd's. My healing partner will then have to burn through their mana for a few seconds to keep people healed while I cast a few lightning bolts. Seems counter productive. I'd rather just learn to be more mana efficient (or learn to recall better).

    Jynus, what method are you using for watching the totem timer?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    Jynus, what method are you using for watching the totem timer?
    At first since I didn't have power auras I would count in my head from 12 down when I popped it, then offwatch my xperl timer and recall at last second. I wasn't liking that though as I don't want to have to look way off screen and was having trouble timing it with my ele timers. So I found a working copy of power auras and I now have all my elementals and hst give me an active countdown display in my LOS. Thats new as of a few days ago but I'm so used to the counting in my head that I'm forgetting to check my timer sometimes and am missing it.. So I'm also considering adding a sound event to give me an audible alert. But it's prob just a not used to it thing and in a few more days it will be second nature to recall properly.

    If you're not about having to watch timers, then just adding an audible event in power auras prob best way to handle it. You can easily catch every HST that way. Catch comes when you're trying to synch elementals with hst so that they both expire at same time. Then you actually need the timers and have to watch. If you're up to the challenge of multitasking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •