Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Yup, the American Dollar is slipping.

Well the American dollar is failing no one can really argue with that. I can see couple of options to replace the Us dollar, which could be Chinese or a global currency.
    I hope we go to a global currency.

Protip: Threads are generally started with sources. Just for future threads.

Ironically all articles I see related to the US Dollar is that it remains strong despite INTL stocks slipping, and the gold of price wavering.

But hey, whatever floats your boat man.

PS -> China is going to have massive problems very quickly. Look more towards South America for the next world Superpower if the EU doesn't continue towards an overarching federal government.

Deleted
    I go with the previous poster: the dollar is holding surprisingly well, seeing all that is happening. If you really want an alternative, don't discount the Euro just yet: the Euro survival is really not an economic problem, but a political one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doom and gloom baby.

Doom and gloom.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Yuan will be worthless as soon as they allow it to actually float on the market instead of pegging at a specific value relative to other currencies.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I doubt it will be the Yuan.

If it is, I'm glad I speak Mandarin.

Yup, the Americal Dollar is not slipping.

See what I did there?

Really not much to discuss here, or?

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    Well the American dollar is failing no one can really argue with that. I can see couple of options to replace the Us dollar, which could be Chinese or a global currency.
    You do realize that the value of the American dollar has bearing on the American economy only insofar as Americans will be able to purchase less stuff from abroad, right?

In contrast, that means foreign countries can buy more stuff from us. A weakening American dollar is exactly what our economy needs.

What about Australian Dollar? I heard it is getting stronger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    Do you even have your own dollar or do you use the Pound? :P

I'm honestly not sure about the size of the Australian Economy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._%28nominal%29

says ... 13th!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    So?

The relative strength of a given currency doesn't matter compared to the size of an economy. It's good for consumers in the country in question, but meaningless to anyone but exporters, importers and currency traders.

One of the world's weakest currencies is the Yen, yet they maintain one of the world's largest economies.

If the dollar is slipping, it only makes America more competitive in global market, which is a good thing. Also, it makes Chinese part of American foreign debt as effective as monopoly money as instrument of pressure, which you guys like to scream about a lot (to quote very smart man, if you owe thousand dollars to bank, it's your problem, if you owe million dollars to bank, it's their problem).

Not really. The United States dollar remains the predominant medium of international transactions (e.g. ~85% in forex turnover), as well as the primary foreign currency reserve.

Deleted
    What about the Zimbabwe dollar? i heard its doing good

I hope you keep your dollar stable, and the EU should do well to NERF the HELL out of the Euro.

It is absurd and insane that I pay more money at my local supermarket here in Greece while shopping than I paid to shop in Vancouver, Washington State, USA.

(No, I don't mean Canadian Vancouver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver,_Washington I used to live there.)
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2012-11-16 at 11:19 AM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

The USD is fine, they'll just print more.

Oh god.

BLACK MAN REELECTED.

US IS DOOMED.

(I know this wasn't the OP's position, but it just smacks of what I've been hearing ever since Obama won again.)
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-11-16 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    If the dollar is slipping, it only makes America more competitive in global market, which is a good thing.
    Exactly.

Your dollar is devalued while our Euro is WAY, WAY over-valued. This means less unemployment for you, while here in Europe we have 20-25% unemployment and people starve, while we keep our Euro absurdly over-valued. I wonder how long the people of Europe can take this before they explode.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

The fact that you mention the Yuan (unless you're talking about another Chinese currency that's secret) as a replacement for the US dollar as the global reserve currency really underscores the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about. The Chinese government keeps the value of the yuan artificially low against the dollar.

Is the dollar losing value right now? Yes. Is it failing? No. Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but the world is clawing its way back from a recession.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The Yuan will be worthless as soon as they allow it to actually float on the market instead of pegging at a specific value relative to other currencies.
    It's the opposite. Have you ever heard people blaming China for "currency manipulation"? It's because in reality the Yuan should be much stronger, but because they peg it to the dollar it is kept artificially weak. The purpose of this is to make Chinese exports more affordable (while sacrificing domestic purchasing power).

Also at OP, no it's not, atleast not yet: