Deleted

[MW] Fistweaver - Which bosses is it viable?

Hiho, I would like to ask some questions as a raid leader about fistweaving.

On which bosses is it viable? How good is it?
    Is it worth to go into fistweaving mode if there is little damage for a while. ( thinking after being in a spirit link totem on Gara'jal hc coming out with 23-24% buff )

My first guess would be last phase elegon, windlord, amber shaper. Any more bosses it is great on?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really found Fistweaving to work out for me, two healing most 10man bosses. i'm only jabbing for Chi,

Though it may be just me that aren't comfortable enough with it yet since i haven't used it much.

Would be an idea to say what raid size you are doing, there is a big difference if there is 10 or 25. could easily see Fistweaving working out well in 25's on certain bosses.

You can't really do it during Blade Lord (Second boss of HoF) due to the fact you're still counted as range and will be targeted by Wind Step. You can all you want during Phase 2 though but you'll probably be occupied depending on the damage/haste stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostburn View Post
    You can't really do it during Blade Lord (Second boss of HoF) due to the fact you're still counted as range and will be targeted by Wind Step. You can all you want during Phase 2 though but you'll probably be occupied depending on the damage/haste stack.
    As far as i know this is incorrect, mistweaver monks counts as melee for such abilitys (atleast on feng)
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    As far as i know this is incorrect, mistweaver monks counts as melee for such abilitys (atleast on feng)
    I was fistweaving during the start of Blade Lord to try to help push the dps to phase 2 quicker and I ended up getting targeted (else the ranged was really close) and all the melee and tanks ended up getting it, I'd have to double check.

Deleted
    I am always Melee Healing on Blade Lord without any issues. If you get targetted, it may as well be the problem that you either have too few Ranged altogether or were just on the move with someone of the Ranged being on the edge, which can lead to Wind Step spreading (also dangerous on things like Wind Lord; our Pally Healer e.g. is always dancing dangerously close to the Melee and killed us at least once with this).

As a general reply: I haven't found a boss where you can't fistweave. However, I guess it needs the usual clarification of the term fistweaving, which for me means that I am dancing in Melee range, I am not paying attention to SZ or even Tiger Palm, I am using it to Jab for Chi and that's about it. What you have to keep in mind though is that some fights require a lot more focus from the Melee (dodging Arcs on Will of the Emperor, resetting stacks on Elegon) , so if you don't want to put that on yourself, that's up to you. Personally, I only feel half as efficient if something keeps me from being in Melee.
    Last edited by mmoc0db2352a9d; 2012-11-16 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostburn View Post
    I was fistweaving during the start of Blade Lord to try to help push the dps to phase 2 quicker and I ended up getting targeted (else the ranged was really close) and all the melee and tanks ended up getting it, I'd have to double check.
    Monks are considered as melee on every boss so someone was close to you

Deleted
    Yes. Mistweavers does not get targeted by Wind Step. Here is a video to prove it
    www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=aY3s8PLzYH4

Deleted
    Can monks get wind bomb on wind lord if they are fistweaving?

until the next patch, fistweaving is pretty useless unless you are strugling with mana. Sure it's a bit of extra damage, but even on a boss such as heroic elegon or spirit doggies. It's not worth it unless dpsers are bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Can monks get wind bomb on wind lord if they are fistweaving?
    Only if there aren't enough range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    until the next patch, fistweaving is pretty useless unless you are strugling with mana. Sure it's a bit of extra damage, but even on a boss such as heroic elegon or spirit doggies. It's not worth it unless dpsers are bad.
    Go watch Blood Legions Grand Empress heroic video.

Deleted
    Looking at logs seeing some fistweavers doing 7M damage on some fights. If you are struggling with enrage and wiping on like 1M, having a healer do 7M is = a kill, so saying its useless is quite close minded.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    Care to clarify that? What do you define as 'fistweaving'? Dumping all of your chi into BoK/TP and trying to heal solely through DPSing? If so, I don't think next patch is doing much to improve that except that we'll be gearing for more haste and the quality of life change to Tiger Power. If you mean using Jab as a primary chi generator and selectively using Serpent's Zeal when there's a lull in the healing, I don't think you could be more wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people don't seem to understand that "fistweaving" doesn't mean you spend all your Chi on TP and BoK to heal through damage done.

It means being in melee to Jab, benefit from SZ and spend Chi to keep it and TP rolling, and dumping everything else into TFT/Uplift/Chi Burst/EnM
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Most confusion comes from the definition of fistweaving.. some think it's Eminence healing, and some think it's using Jab to generate Chi. For me, Fistweaving is healing from melee range hitting something to generate chi instead of using soothing mist/crackled jade lightning.

Obviously monks are new, still getting used to his style of healing, and I realize there is a lot of crap said on those forums on how class mechanic should work, so you should make your own idea, but usually, I find fistweaving to be very efficient, but very mana draining, so you need to know when it's appropriate to do it.

Jab->Jab->Uplift is very good AoE healing when groups are not stacked up, it is also good for stacked up groups, but I enjoy doing Spinning Crane Kick + Rushing Jade Wind when the group is completely stacked seems to work well for me.

Is that optimal? Maybe not.

On fights like Garalon, I am meleeing full time and refreshing renewing mist and using uplift full time, and use my tea cooldown to refresh mists on everybody prior to every crush.. that seems to be the way to go for heroic Stone Guard and heroic Feng too.

So it's very fight dependant..
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is viable on all fights. Why you think it wouldn't be is weird. Fights such as the Emperors I don't melee mainly because I suck at avoiding combos no matter how much practice I do in raid finder.

Garalon, I get lazy and just jab the body to prepare my chi for uplift spamming.

Empress add phases, I have no time to get to a melee target due to the amount of damage the tanks take

Amber Shaper is easy, I focus adds and eminence heal/chi wave/renewing mist. No sense in not meleeing there

All bosses are viable for fistweaving in HoF, same goes for Terrace and MGV. Any monk that doesn't fist weave shouldnt be healing in the first place because you can't be competitive by just sitting there using soothing mist.

Mixweaving (™ lols) is the way to go imo. Certain fights or certain mechanics during a fight (increased dmg delt or taken on the boss especially!) are amazing for Fistweaving, but other times its more reliable to be in ranged doing other things.

Elegon Double dips (you do more dmg to him and EVERYONE takes 50% more healing) so it does extremely well here, however in 10man if you're 2 healing with a ranged heavy raid, its not going to be nearly as useful.

I found it worked great on Garalon, 100% extra dmg to the legs = 100% extra eminence healing generated, did have to reposition Jade Serpent tho not by much, it'd prolly do well just centered.

There's 3 main types of what people call fistweaving, and they all vary depending on how many DPS abilities you're using.

The first, and most common, is using Jab to generate Chi. I personally do not consider this fistweaving because the damage to healing aspect is largely irrelevant as Jab's damage is so minor that it's not important for healing. It should generally be used on most, if not all fights regardless of damage increases.

The second is what a lot of people refer to as fistweaving, which is simply using Blackout Kick to keep Serpent's Zeal up, which causes heals from auto-attack damage. While not typically used on most fights, any fight with a damage increase whatsoever should be taking advantage of this. The only exception is Garalon, but it's still pretty subjective because the outputs are generally similar to Uplift spam and is a lot harder to execute due to legs spawning in inconvenient places, but still definitely viable. Fights where Serpent's Zeal healing are a must include Heroic Stone Guard (depending on your amount of melee, you may not want to stick close to the bosses, but it's still generally a lot more throughput if you can keep it up), Elegon, Wind Lord, and Amber-Shaper.

The last kind of fistweaving involves all-out Tiger Palm spam and general abandoning of all other healing abilities. It is only viable with ENORMOUS damage boosts, such as the later phases of Elegon and Amber-Shaper if the damage taken debuff is stacked high enough. It may also include heroic Wind Lord, but I haven't personally done that fight yet so I wouldn't know for sure (although 600% damage taken debuff seems to point heavily to it).

You should never give up fist weaving for any boss in my opinion. It's sort of your cheap, nothing-to-do heal. If that opportunity comes and no one needs huge amount of heal, take the time to fistweave and build up those chi. I find myself fist weaving more than using soothing mists.