Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Roughly what sort of performance should I be getting?

Hey, I'm a little concerned about the performance of my gaming rig. I got it back in July, so it's fairly new, and in WoW I am seeing frame rates of around 30 to 40 in various places, such as the Shrine of Seven Stars and Valley of the Four Winds (to name only a few). I realise these are highly populated areas, but should my frames take such a drastic dip? Before MoP (and even before the pre-patch) I was at a constant 60 frames, and it hardly ever dropped from that. I wondered if it was just the new tech they added in, but I disabled things like SSAO and it didn't really change much. I also disabled all my addons, in case they were slowing it down, but that didn't affect it either. All drivers appear to be up to date, also.

Could anyone roughly say was sort of performance I should be getting out of this rig, and is it performing to it's optimum potential?

Thanks.

General Information:

• CPU (Intel Core i7-3960X Processor, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache, Sandy Bridge, Socket 2011)
    • Motherboard (Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard - Socket 2011, Intel X79, DDR3, ATX, PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0, Thermal Armor, ASUS SSD Caching)
    • RAM (Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz CL DDR3 Memory Quad Kit)
    • Graphics Card (EVGA GeForce GTX 690 915MHz 4GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI)
    • Power Supply (Antec 900W High Current Gamer 80plus Bronze PSU)
    • Operating System Windows 7 64bit Professional
    • Resolution 1920x1080 (wide)
    • WoW Settings (All maxed)
    Last edited by Fablewynd; 2012-11-16 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    It's because WoW is not the most optimized engine out there, try easing down on shadows and you'll see more fps, if you really want to.

Deleted
    try oc'ing the CPU to get that last bit of performance to hit 60fps. (6-core doesn't matter with wow mostly using first 2 cores )
    higherclocks will get more performance out of the old wow engine , apart from that nothing else to do for FPS. (GPU is overkill anyway )

also an E-series CPU with no OC sounds like; an ooh is the most expensive one ill take that kind of rig. (are those 6cores actually used for something else then wow?, same applies to 32gb of ram imo)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-16 at 03:32 PM. Reason: something fishy

10+ Year Old Account
    that is roughly the performance you should be getting, drop shadows down a notch and drop multi-sampling to 2-4x

i would also try for a 4.4-4.6Ghz overclock

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic View Post
    is it performing to it's optimum potential?
    this is a bit different than most people think, the 3960x may put out an extra 1-2FPS more than the 2500k, the potential of the 3960x is teh ability to have wow running at the same framerate as a 2500k, while also rendering a movie, streaming to twitch, running a VM, and having 110 tabs open in chrome, and maybe minecraft and a few other games running as well

but, when you are only playing wow, the 3960x will perform no better than an i5

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cheers, folks. Thanks for the feedback.