Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Passive means it will do nothing unless ordered to. However, using blink strike then makes the game assume you want it to keep attacking the same target, so it will turn auto attack on as well.

Furthermore, I think pets can be taunted, so that would explain why it would go off and attack someone else.

Only thing I can suggest really is just keep a close eye on it and keybind the attack/follow commands.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 05:18 PM ----------

Blizzard have also stated repeatedly that Hunters will always use pets, since it's intrinsically linked to the theme of the class.

Buuuut that's a different debate entirely.
    I'm kinda hoping that the next class will be something akin to Diablo 3's Demon Hunter (not saying it should replace the potential DH of WoW), but you'd have a ranged toon that deals with enchanted arrows and such.

If you have that much trouble controlling who it attacks macro /petattack to your shots.

But to not use your pet you're intentionally gimping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Don't like it? Hunter is not for you.
    That was my initial thought
    "Peace is a lie"

No, it's never bad to play a class your way. Anyone saying so just likes getting all up in arms on how your play. Is it optimal? No. Is it practical? No. Will you do worse off? Yes. But hell if I care, you're enjoying yourself more.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I get slightly nervous when I see a hunter roaming without his pet. Not being able to determine if it's dead or not makes me not want to immediately charge bladestorm and roflstomp you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Yea. I could say the same about warlocks, but what can you do..
    Logic behind Hunter pets - It is a tamed companion, a beloved friend you form a bond with. "Sacrificing" your pet as a Hunter would be seen as violating the trust with said friend.
    Logic behind Warlock pets - It is a demonic creature forced into serving your will against it's own. Sacrificing a demon as a Warlock is literally just utilizing it in a different form. Warlocks have few morals as to how far they will go for power.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you only want to play by attacking with a gun or bow then don't use a pet. You will of course be putting yourself at a major disadvantage. Hunters have pets. End of story. That's like trying to be a druid without shapeshifting, a mage without spells, a paladin without a god complex. Pets are something that are there to stay til WoW dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post
    You still need it for utility it provides. Try Fire Mage, personally I find the playstyle similar to hunter, but no pet involved.

Also: I really wish there was a pet-free spec of hunter, or something like Grimoire of Sacrifice
    I wish there was a pet free spec for hunters simply because blizz is incapable of providing content where the pet doesn't continaully get stuck... I was doing heroic nerarian earlier and pet gets stuck when you jump down at the start, gets stuck when you go up onto the pillars, gets stuck when you get off the pillars for the final phase and even when it's on the ground it is constantly bugged so that it wont cast kill command even though it is attacking the boss. Then there's the 1st boss in shadopan monastery where the pet runs off somewhere when the serpent appears (I don't even know where but I think it falls off the platform). There were multiple issues on Madness off deathwing etc.There are so many more examples of bosses I could give with similair problems.

Do blizzard even test their content to see if pets will actually work properly or do they just not care enough?

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 04:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    If you have that much trouble controlling who it attacks macro /petattack to your shots.

But to not use your pet you're intentionally gimping yourself.
    I'd have hoped that having pet on assist would do the same as macroing /petattack to all the shots but hey blizzard seems incapable of making it work properly. Normally when I have assist on and I change targets, my pet runs back and forward between the 2 targets for 3 or 4 seconds before attacking my current target. I normally just leave my pet on passive and /attack /follow manually with keybinds because sometimes I want my pet to stay on 1 target while I attack another.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played since launch. I never liked using pets as a hunter. I always felt it should've been a BM-only thing.

Survival should've been a melee/ranged spec that got to use traps.

Marksman, obvious got ranged stuff.

But at this rate, I wouldn't mind them turning BM into a melee spec similar to Rexxar's style of combat.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

It's not bad that you don't like using it. It is reducing your performance to choose not to use it, however, and that's "bad."

If you really hate pet management, hunters may not be for you.

Pet on passive.

#showtooltip
    /cast Steady Shot (or any spell you want)
    /petattack

/thread

I feel about neutral for my pet.

I pick one based on the buff that i need the most in PvE, and i have most of pet stuff macroed so it is done on it's own.

I do not think i would notice if blizz one day removed pets from hunters, they are just buff bots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Logic behind Hunter pets - It is a tamed companion, a beloved friend you form a bond with. "Sacrificing" your pet as a Hunter would be seen as violating the trust with said friend.
    What about never choosing to summon a pet in the first place? Should be nothing wrong with that.

MM, maybe Survival specific glyph: Increase damage by X without an active pet.

Or something, enchanted arrows like someone else said?
    Last edited by Jeremypwnz; 2012-11-17 at 09:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mm hunter should always have pet on passive for easier access too cc and to avoid your pet being losed and killed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Logic behind Warlock pets - It is a demonic creature forced into serving your will against it's own. Sacrificing a demon as a Warlock is literally just utilizing it in a different form. Warlocks have few morals as to how far they will go for power.
    That's not logic, that's opinion. I don't care if GC says the same thing, it's still an opinion. The game is not forcing me to gaf about my pet every time I summon it, and until such a time it remains irrelevant to me what anyone thinks I 'should' be feeling about my pet.

Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    I talked about this on the official servers, and wave after wave of people were like, "you can't kill my fluffy cutesy pet blah blah blah!"

MM should be about taming a dangerous pet then slaying it to gain it's power, venom tipped ammo, different buffs from different pets etc etc
    Wait, why would you tame a pet and then kill it? Why don't you just straight up kill it? :S

Blizzard already took away the need to feed our pets, level them from whatever level we tamed them as, ect. Basically a "minion" at our side that does whatever the hell we say. The pet doesn't have any choice in the matter. "Go attack the boss alone without heals and I'll just chill here and act like I died."

Literally the same as a Warlock's minion. There is absolutely no difference in the way they work. Except Warlocks have cooler looking pets.

I agree with the fact there is a need for a petless spec in Hunters playstyle. I jsut hate those pets. In many PvE fights they love to bug around and just stand there (hello, Elegon, hello, Gara'Jal). They look like those Sim dudes when they can't find a way out of the kitchen.

Pets should be totally revamped (so they are working less than a npc and more like a permanent buff, responding to your actions without getting stuck everywhere) or we shall be given an option to play without pets.

10+ Year Old Account
    pets are badass, don't know why you wouldn't enjoy using them lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Since few ppl already said it, I won't say it again... but don't use ur pet outside of the temp pets from dire beast and stampede...