SWTOR then and now...

So I was one of the folks who played at early access, played like a crazy person until around Feb of this year and just got fed up with the crap that was pvp and the bugs that was pve. This past summer I restarted my sub, I'd heard that by 1.4 the game had really come a loooooong way from what it was at launch. Awesome I say, lets do this...

Nooooot so fast my friends...

While the game had matured a LOT and I mean a LOT, it still had the same damn bugs in nightmare EV, KP still had the same bugs in both hm and nm; Ilum was and is still a gigantic fail; these were raids which had been around since or near launch and they still can't get it fixed? The ability lag issue for marauders was still freaking there!! However, to the credit of the devs they'd done a lot on the UI and address a slew of other issues which plagued the game. Buuuuuut pvp was and is still a train wreck.

So, well maybe possible F2P would offer some interesting things with the game and 1.5 was supposed to address even more older problems. Moreover, I would have assumed that for someone who supported the game and such, that I'd at the very least get something from BioWare/EA that would make me want to pay for another sub.

Not a fat chance in hell..

The micro-transactions which are now SWTOR are just beyond stupid. I can not for the life of me understand the thinking of these guys when they said that yes this is a good idea. Did they not bother to take a look at any of the other F2P games out there?

I wanted so much to like SWTOR, I grew up on this franchise but alas it isn't meant to be. Maybe in another year they'll get it sorted out and then it'll be the epic game it could have been.

Deleted
    It'll be far to late though, end game is still a joke with "Nightmare" mode being cleared fully in less than 24 hours by guilds that were not on the PTS....

Deleted
    that I'd at the very least get something from BioWare/EA that would make me want to pay for another sub.
    Why would you be entitled to something when you made the choice to quit?

Deleted
    Dead is the word your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Why would you be entitled to something when you made the choice to quit?
    Because I've spent nearly 200 bucks supporting this title, and with that in mind I don't think that it's a little to much to ask that at the very least a few hundred coins be thrown my way as a thanks for helping us. You may think differently but I don't.

I feel bad really.. SWTOR looked like a great game, and I was really waiting to hear some good reviews from it so I could play something new and different from WoW. And then the reviews came back and I was really disheartened. I love the Star Wars franchise.. But man, I didn't think it could turn out so badly.

I have had a different experience with SWTOR then the OP but still a bad experience. I bought the Collectors Eddition, played the first night it dropped, played for a few months (never reached maxed level played a bunch of alts and such) and then i just couldn't get past how terrible the game play was. I'm a full PVE kinda player, and I just can't take the glitchy reaction time when pulling even a mob in the open world. I would die to shit that i should have been able to kill no problem just cuz of glitches and my attacks not even functioning properly (this is on multiple classes)

I came back before 1.5 just to see what happens well the micro transactions are too expensive for what little u get, and the Jawa pet u supposedly get for being a Sub never got mailed to my account and Customer Service is non existant (especiallly being a collectors edition buyer and sub since release with only a few months off) The game play is still just a crappy and the legacy stuff i unlocked with my comp cartel points seemed to not work.

I must say I'm a little angry at the way SWTOR turned out, im a huge star wars fan but in no way can i be a SWTOR fan

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimrot View Post
    Moreover, I would have assumed that for someone who supported the game and such, that I'd at the very least get something from BioWare/EA that would make me want to pay for another sub.
    You do, though. Not only do you get preferred status automatically, but if you resubscribe you get however many Cartel Coins you have earned from previous subscriptions. You have until Dec 20th (around then) to subscribe just one month and you get your coins. Now I know it is shitty that they don't automatically give them to you, but you specifically stated you wanted an incentive to subscribe and you have it.

On top of that, you will have no restrictions at all as a subscriber. There's really no choice. If you want to experience the game beyond the faintest glimmer, you have to subscribe. Calling this F2P is extreme embellishment. This is an extended trial with a cash shop. You are completely right that they are doing a poor job fixing a lot of bugs and releasing content full of them, but you do have a great incentive to subscribe.

You get no restrictions, some bonuses that you didn't have before, you get your coins that you've earned so far, and you get 500 coins a month. You can read how I've torn them apart over the last month, and I don't feel very good about myself for doing it, but I resubscribed and that part at least feels valuable. Being a subscriber to this game is very rewarding. Unfortunately the second you stop being one, it's the least rewarding 'F2P' game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    On top of that, you will have no restrictions at all as a subscriber. There's really no choice. If you want to experience the game beyond the faintest glimmer, you have to subscribe. Calling this F2P is extreme embellishment. This is an extended trial with a cash shop. You are completely right that they are doing a poor job fixing a lot of bugs and releasing content full of them, but you do have a great incentive to subscribe.
    This is why EA drives me crazy. You're right, if you want to enjoy the game you really have to subscribe. And that seems to be exactly what EA wants you to conclude. But the market has sort of already passed its judgement on how fun and worth-it SWTOR is as a subscription game, right? Isn't that how we got into all this in the first place, those exit polls saying "I like it but it's not worth a monthly sub"? F2P was supposed to be a solution to this - not a path back to the same impasse.

What is it about SWTOR 1.5 that's supposed to make a returning player subscribe and stay? HK-51? The Party Jawa?

Still experimenting...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clattuc View Post
    What is it about SWTOR 1.5 that's supposed to make a returning player subscribe and stay? HK-51? The Party Jawa?
    Honestly nothing. I stated before I subscribed, before I relented on anything, that this seems to be a cash grab. That this is an attempt to reclaim their money and run. As a word to most people, I would say to stay away. There is nothing inherent in the game that makes it worth it now from a big picture perspective.

I decided that personally I wanted my coins, wanted the HK experience, wanted to do TFB with my guild, and that's about it. That was worth the $15 for me, even though it is highly tainted. I think this small amount of things is worth a one time $15, but not beyond that. Hopefully they can use whatever money they get out of this to put things in place that make a subscription actually worth it in the long run.

I really wish...just one time...that I would experience one of these bugs everyone speaks of.
    Because then..maybe I could relate to all this crap I read in threads like this.

Oh well...guess I'll just continue having a great time in SWTOR...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    I really wish...just one time...that I would experience one of these bugs everyone speaks of.
    Because then..maybe I could relate to all this crap I read in threads like this.

I feel the same, and I'm in a raid guild that is running shit all the time, every day of the week.

Sure, there are a couple of issues. They're hardly game-breaking.

The guy in a different thread who said "...it's so hard on the eyes..." LOL. People just conjure up BS because they can.

Oh well, doesn't bother me. I like the game. A lot.

Deleted

just grab some mobs kite them about they look clunky they bug. companions get stuck on little ledges. granted is not as bad as release but for year old game
    it just dosent feel like how it should feel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    I feel the same, and I'm in a raid guild that is running shit all the time, every day of the week.

Sure, there are a couple of issues. They're hardly game-breaking.

The guy in a different thread who said "...it's so hard on the eyes..." LOL. People just conjure up BS because they can.

Oh well, doesn't bother me. I like the game. A lot.
    And you know, it's truly an amazing thing to see people like you who stick to it. I get so tired of people who say, 'Well, the reviews said it was bad, so it's bad'. I actually played the game for 6 months. I enjoyed it, but it just wasn't...enough. I still can't put my finger on it, but it felt like something was missing. It wasn't a bad game at all, and I'm not a huge SW fan in the first place. And then of course there was the mass exodus of my entire guild quitting, dropped that guild, joined another, they fell apart, joined another, etc. People were dropping like flies and my server, Lord Praven, was a ghost town in no time. Made it really hard to get groups for things. My friend and I had recently gotten back into Rift, and were having a blast with the new changes, so I just let my TOR sub drop and never picked it back up.

I was honestly looking forward to the F2P, I wouldn't mind getting to play again. I fully intended to let the F2P suck me back into a subbed account. But the immense amount of restrictions they've levied against F2P is just...well, it's EA is what it is. They taint everything they touch. I do hope for the best for TOR, at some point I wouldn't mind coming back to it. And who knows, I may find that something I was looking for the first time and resub. Stranger things have happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

You clearly aren't raiding nightmare or hardmodes because the bugs with bosses are common. EV doesn't have nearly the problems with pillars that it used to but Soa still bugs, the mini-bosses after pillars bug and the list goes on.

Ability lag? Go roll a marauder and once you're at fifty you will find that abilities will still have problems with the goddamn animations not stopping when you want to perform a different ability. You must wait on that animation to complete before the next ability goes off. That is a major freaking problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I feel bad really.. SWTOR looked like a great game, and I was really waiting to hear some good reviews from it so I could play something new and different from WoW. And then the reviews came back and I was really disheartened. I love the Star Wars franchise.. But man, I didn't think it could turn out so badly.
    Honestly I love the classes quest story's, the planets. It's just the endgame is terrible :/
    I stayed subbed because i'm lazy and im leveling a new character with a friend, nothing has really changed enough for me to run back to it wasn't for my friend. But that isn't the game i like, its just i like playing games with friends.

Honestly i want this game to pick itself up and at least be a stable mmo like guild wars 2. The biggest problem for me is that after the leveling with voice acting and cut scenes, i find myself thinking... well, if i want to raid I'll play WoW, if i want to pvp i'll buy guild wars 2.

I guess sw:tor has no real niche to fill, I hope the F2P option gets people to at least play it for the story, but with f2p i have noticed a lot of people complaining about not getting what subscribers get; that sort of iniquity is what usually drives people away from your game

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a fan of the Star Wars IP literally my entire life (the original Star Wars debuted 3 months before I was born) and I want desperately to enjoy the game. I think the only thing standing in my way of that is my old system (purchased in early 2008) and the lack of a Mac client. I have it installed on my BootCamp drive but I abhor starting Windows just to play the game.

I wondered this morning, "Would this game be as successful it wasn't a Star Wars game? What if it was a brand new IP and still had the same bugs, glitches, etc.?" I honestly think that the game would be more successful if it wasn't a Star Wars title. Star Wars fans like myself expected so much more than we got simply because it has the Star Wars logo on it. We all know WoW has some bugs too, some of them more game-breaking than some of the ones in SW:TOR, and some 10 million people still play it.

We have sooo many threads about F2P and people's opinions about it. Let's not create more please.