Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord Cludo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    781

    Question Good 'Hack N Slash'

    Hey everyone, I've really been interested in playing a genre I never really got chance to play, Hack N Slash.
    What hack n slash games could you recommend me to try out? I'm totally clueless when it comes to this genre.

    MMORPG Hack n Slash, Is this in existence? With good gameplay and community (active, friendly)
    Or and single player you would recommend? (PC only, as I dont really like to play my Xbox)
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Path of Exile.

    Or Torchlight 2.

    But Path of Exile is goddamn spectacular in terms of gameplay.

  3. #3
    well i can only recommend the well known ones.

    diablo1/2 if you're up for old-school gameplay

    D3 is not bad either, just lacks replayability

    torchlight 2 is pretty sweet, it's like modern version of D2, w/o fancy crap.

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Cludo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Path of Exile.

    Or Torchlight 2.
    Not really interested in a Diablo style game too be honest, More of the first person/3rd person.
    By Diablo style I mean dungeon crawler action RPG or whatever genre Diablo & Torchlight are :P

    Blade & Soul looks awesome but it's Korean only?

  5. #5
    Maybe give the God of War and Devil May Cry series a try?



    That more of what you're looking for? Fast paced, highly skill based hack and slash combat? Hack and slash covers a lot of different games when you think about it. I'd say it's more of a broad term, with many sub genres.
    Last edited by Laurcus; 2012-11-16 at 06:34 PM.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  6. #6
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,986
    Yeah sorry, but 'Hack and Slash' does not equate to MMORPG. Hack and Slash correlates to ARPG Dungeon Crawlers (Diablo/TL) or ARPG Consoles (God of War). I'm not really sure a Hack and Slash MMO would even be viable...would definitely be F2P.

    You might like some Steam Tower Defense games like Orcs Must Die. Even though they have the specific Tower D element, you can definitely take a more direct approach. Plus the graphics and ingenuity of these games are amazing.

  7. #7
    Devil May Cry 4 is available on Steam, I'd recommend that.

  8. #8
    Hack n Slash? Do classic Beat-em-ups qualify?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lor...g_(video_game)

    That game is amazing, utterly amazing. It's an old game for sure but it's fun and it lets you hack and slash (and shoot) as many orcs as you would ever want.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Hack n Slash? Do classic Beat-em-ups qualify?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lor...g_(video_game)

    That game is amazing, utterly amazing. It's an old game for sure but it's fun and it lets you hack and slash (and shoot) as many orcs as you would ever want.
    Ha! I still own that game. Only things that ever bugged me about it is that they got really lazy with the unlockable characters, and concerning the physics, Gandalf's spells behaved EXACTLY like arrows. Surprisingly fun for a cheap movie based game though.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  10. #10
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:ぺこ
    Posts
    7,828
    Have not played the game before, but Bayonetta, seems like lots of people like it and watched a few vids?

  11. #11
    This many posts and nobody's mentioned Dark Souls yet? Shame on you people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  12. #12
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:ぺこ
    Posts
    7,828
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This many posts and nobody's mentioned Dark Souls yet? Shame on you people.
    I personally won't say Dark Souls / Demon's Souls is a hack and slash due to the part where the idea of hack and slash generally involves some portion of blindly slashing mobs. You do that in Dark Souls / Demon's Souls without being over geared or hell on even some mobs you can't, you'd die.
    It fits an ARPG more than hack and slash.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    Not really interested in a Diablo style game too be honest, More of the first person/3rd person.
    By Diablo style I mean dungeon crawler action RPG or whatever genre Diablo & Torchlight are :P

    Blade & Soul looks awesome but it's Korean only?
    Well, Blade & Soul is an MMO. An MMO-RPG. Not necessarily a hack n' slash.

    I think you are looking for brawlers/beat em ups which have a lineage to games such as Double Dragon, Streets of Rage to modern titles like God of War and Devil May Cry. As already mentioned.

    Something that straddles the line might be... Tera or Guild Wars 2. Both are more action orientated than traditional MMOs in the Everquest style. Though both feature mechanics and concepts common to ARPGs and brawlers-- such as stats, pipsqueaks, free aim, repetitious combat, tactical depth over strategic depth, etc.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I personally won't say Dark Souls / Demon's Souls is a hack and slash due to the part where the idea of hack and slash generally involves some portion of blindly slashing mobs. You do that in Dark Souls / Demon's Souls without being over geared or hell on even some mobs you can't, you'd die.
    It fits an ARPG more than hack and slash.
    Well, I don't think it's really true that hack and slash games involve blindly slashing mobs. At least not inherently. For example, I consider DMC to be a hack and slash series. And that works to some degree on the lowest difficulties. You try that on DMD! mode though and you'll be at the game over screen in seconds. You gotta engage tactically and not get caught out by multiple mobs. I've played Dark Souls and DMC 4, and I think just blindly slashing works better in Dark Souls. And as you pointed out, it doesn't work very well in that game.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    I personally don't know many pc games that fit what you're looking for but if you own a console then I could recommend bayonetta.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  16. #16
    Too bad you said pc only, I'd recommend Dynasty Warriors. I don't think it gets any more hack'n'slash than that series does lol

  17. #17
    Darksiders 1 and 2 for sure. If you're in it for the story, start with the first one. If you're just looking for something you can jump into, try the second one.

    Both are on Steam. Darksiders 2 was just on sale for 66% off, but unfortunately the sale ended yesterday.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Ha! I still own that game. Only things that ever bugged me about it is that they got really lazy with the unlockable characters, and concerning the physics, Gandalf's spells behaved EXACTLY like arrows. Surprisingly fun for a cheap movie based game though.
    Yeah agreed! Certainly one of the best movie-licensed games that I have ever played.

  19. #19
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    Hey everyone, I've really been interested in playing a genre I never really got chance to play, Hack N Slash.
    What hack n slash games could you recommend me to try out? I'm totally clueless when it comes to this genre.

    MMORPG Hack n Slash, Is this in existence? With good gameplay and community (active, friendly)
    Or and single player you would recommend? (PC only, as I dont really like to play my Xbox)
    Thanks!
    There are a lot of multiplayer hack n slash games, but the only MMO-style one I can think of is Spiral Knights, which is F2P through Steam.

    If you're looking for non-MMO games, you've got tons of options. First ones that come to mind are the Diablo series, Torchlight series, Titan Quest series, Divine Divinity series (all of the previously mentioned games are either Diablo games or Diablo clones), and games like Castle Crashers and Magicka.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  20. #20
    Whenever this game comes out


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •