Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Budi View Post
    Valid question. When I made the post I was inferring that I had been a long time player or RIFT and a short time player of Storm Legion. But what I had seen with my brief engagement with SL left me excited. To contrast, my first few hours of MOP did not give me the same feeling. I'm not bashing game vs. game but to frame the reference I call in another "similar" MMO expansion I can compare

The reality of RIFT is that its not very well done when you start. Even IA's in lower zones get somewhat tedious. But if you love MMO's you are doing yourself a disservice not leveling at least one toon to 50. At 50 the game takes off and becomes 1,000 times more enjoyable. And now with Storm Legion it becomes 2,000 more enjoyable. Its the little things really.. for instance, When you first get to Storm Legion you get the typical expansion "First set" of competitive green gear. In other MMO's this is a throw in with little to no art direction and usually very generic models. Not so in SL. My rogue looks absolutely fabulous from an aesthetics point of view rocking his level 51 greens. Its the little things like that to which RIFT excels. Add on Dimensions and you make it 2 totally different games. A sandbox and a themepark in one.
    It really is the little things that make it apparent early early on the Rift is superior in many many ways. I can't remember all the little things that wowed me my first week. I tried the Rift Lite trial to level 20 and within a week I had purchased the game and given up on all other MMOs. This was before lower level IAs came out too. It is clear that the devs play the game and work to remove annoying things.

Few examples of small things that you may not notice when they are there, but you sure notice when they are gone:

Looting while mounted
    area loot(more games have this now though)
    being able to que for something like a dungeon or WF, then join a group for things in open world and not have it affect your que. If you que as a group for a dingeon/wf, you can leave that group, go about your business, then when que pops, original group is reformed.
    crafting mats an consumables stack to 99(new with SL)
    dynamic events
    superior wardrobe/costume system

the list could go on, and on

Only issue with Rift as far as I can tell is the way they chose to do leveling is a grind. The WoW formula for leveling was roughly 2 levels for every 8 hours of time invested and they held it there since BC.

The Rift formula for SL seems to be 1 level for every 10+ hours of time invested. The grind is pretty brutal right now. My only assumption is people in top guilds formed raids and zerged the ever loving shit out of high spawn point mob locations until their eyes bled.

If you are leveling through IA's and Hunt Rift your xp bar is hardly moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Only issue with Rift as far as I can tell is the way they chose to do leveling is a grind. The WoW formula for leveling was roughly 2 levels for every 8 hours of time invested and they held it there since BC.

The Rift formula for SL seems to be 1 level for every 10+ hours of time invested. The grind is pretty brutal right now. My only assumption is people in top guilds formed raids and zerged the ever loving shit out of high spawn point mob locations until their eyes bled.

I'm doing about a level a night (4~6 hours) just doing the story quests and the odd carnage quest that overlaps the main story quest. At the end of each zone, I abandon each carnage quest and start afresh on the next story in the next area. Without too much sweat, I'm doing about a level per zone. If an IA is close, or a rift, I join in, mix it up with dungeons, the odd PvP warfront.

I personally find it less punishing that TBC. If you remember, it was also slow as hell in TBC due to no flying mounts and the only xp was from questing/grinding.

Oh yeah - level with a friend - it goes quicker - much quicker!

I hear what your saying and at first I was like "this is going to take forever". But then as I played more and more another genius move by Trion. I have spent a long time in Camp Jule currently, I'm almost to 51 and it is taking a while, but a few things are happening that I find interesting:

1. I'm not feeling rushed to get to the next zone. In other games i'm in a mad dash to get to the level cap because I know people are going to be jamming through levels like nobodies business. It starts to make expansions feel like a blur and contributes to someone feeling "done" in a month or two. RIFT is cool because you can down mentor if your a leveling monster or relax and enjoy the ride. In some other games its "quick" or nothing. I like the fact that you have a hardcap and its a bit of a grind because it stretches things out..

2. More importantly.. PA XP saves the day in my opinion. Its almost like you have a "Fast" xp bar to keep you satisfied and a "Slow" xp bar that is the big end goal. I am dinging so many PA XP levels that i really don't think about getting to level 51/52.

I would caution those that play RIFT is that it is a grind (but not Korean MMO level grind). Resources and big satisfaction won't come as quick as other MMO's. But the experience will last longer and be more rewarding. The big difference is that their are different ways to do the grind, which prevents burnout. Its like having the meaningful feeling the Vanilla and TBC WOW had with more options to accommodate

Quote Originally Posted by Budi View Post
    1. I'm not feeling rushed to get to the next zone. In other games i'm in a mad dash to get to the level cap because I know people are going to be jamming through levels like nobodies business. It starts to make expansions feel like a blur and contributes to someone feeling "done" in a month or two.
    I agree with just about everything you said except this part. I still felt a rush to get to the next zone and saw plenty of people in my guild and a few others in a mad rush to level cap. As I was in the 57+ Zones, I was never alone, there were always people around me.

Also, this is Trion we are talking about, we do not have to worry about running out of content in a month or two. They will have more content in by then, if they follow their trend from classic rift. Major Content patched ~every 6 weeks.