Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

TIME/CNN 100 greatest games of all time

So Time/CNN put together their list of 100 greatest video games of all time. Then they put a "yes/no" poll on each one. Here is the list, as rated in order of the poll results, starting with the most favored:

1 Pac-Man
    2 Super Mario Bros.
    3 Pong
    4 The Oregon Trail
    5 Space Invaders
    6 Donkey Kong
    7 Tetris
    8 The Legend of Zelda
    9 Asteroids
    10 Mass Effect 3
    11 Breakout
    12 Frogger
    13 Mortal Kombat
    14 Doom
    15 Street Fighter II
    16 Sonic the Hedgehog
    17 Punch-Out!!
    18 Goldeneye 007
    19 Galaga
    20 Contra
    21 Grand Theft Auto III
    22 Centipede
    23 StarCraft
    24 Super Mario 64
    25 SimCity 2000
    26 Pitfall!
    27 Paperboy
    28 Halo: Combat Evolved
    29 Defender
    30 Metroid
    31 Metal Gear Solid
    32 Civilization
    33 Final Fantasy VII
    34 Mega Man
    35 Solitaire
    36 World of Warcraft
    37 Castlevania
    38 Battlezone
    39 Portal
    40 Resident Evil
    41 Diablo II
    42 Tecmo Bowl
    43 Half-Life 2
    44 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    45 Guitar Hero
    46 BioShock
    47 The Sims
    48 Quake
    49 Tomb Raider
    50 Myst
    51 Angry Birds
    52 Counter-Strike
    53 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    54 NBA Jam
    55 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    56 OutRun
    57 Joust
    58 King’s Quest
    59 Prince of Persia
    60 Wii Sports
    61 Chrono Trigger
    62 Gears of War
    63 Castle Wolfenstein
    64 Madden NFL 95
    65 Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
    66 Wing Commander
    67 Zork
    68 Splinter Cell
    69 Deus Ex
    70 Silent Hill
    71 EverQuest
    72 Adventure
    73 Shadow of the Colossus
    74 Lode Runner
    75 Rock Band
    76 Metroid Prime
    77 Tempest
    78 Demon’s Souls
    79 Batman: Arkham City
    80 Ultima Online
    81 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
    82 Final Fantasy Tactics
    83 Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
    84 Ico
    85 O-kami
    86 Grim Fandango
    87 Thief: The Dark Project
    88 Katamari Damacy
    89 Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
    90 Braid
    91 Animal Crossing
    92 Marathon
    93 M.U.L.E.
    94 Desktop Tower Defense
    95 Flower
    96 Hunt the Wumpus
    97 Cave Story
    98 NetHack
    99 Myth: The Fallen Lords
    100 Rez

I'm quite happy to see Goldeneye64, Elder Scrolls/Oblivion, Dune 2 and Hunt hte Wumpus here, because I played the CRAP out of those games. I'm surprised to see Ocarina of Time missing, and wierded out by the inclusion of Solitaire, a game on which I actually wrote a paper calling it out as one of the signs of the Robot Apocalypse.

How about you guys? Any favorites on the list? How about games that you think should be there, but aren't? Let's get some shout-outs for old favorites of yours.

Also, the original link can be found here.

No Baldurs gate? No Heroes of Might and Magic? Yet Solitaire is there?

Fail list.

That awkward moment when your favorite game of all time isn't even on the list. That game being God of War 3. In fact, not a single game from the God of War, Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry series, all of which I personally would rate higher than the vast majority of that list.

Honestly, I can't even figure out what criteria they used for their list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but I'll start taking these lists seriously when people who actually play games and know what they are talking about make them

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really surprised about some of the results from CNN / Time I suppose.

And yes, why is Solitaire and Angry Chicken up there. (Yes I call it chicken).
    Pac Man and Pong are mostly due to nostalgia.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-11-16 at 07:24 PM.

Should Solitaire even be considered a "video game"? It's a card game. The fact that it's been converted to a digital format shouldn't change that.

But I guess that's what happens when you get a list put together by people who don't know anything about video games.

Deleted
    Know what I hate? That for some reason, old seems to equals good. Why can't new games be amongst the best ones? Sure we produce a lot of crap, but a lot of the old games are just as crap as the new ones.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Lol please no.
    Amazing how these 2 are higher on the list than Okami or Shadow of the Colossus (Just a couple of examples).
    What do you expect when the average person who reads the article haven't played anything else than smartphone games?

Yeah, another one of those lists. No Might and Magic, no Heroes of Might and Magic. At least they got Wizardry I on their list.

Alot of these games, especially at the top of the list seem to be more of a "Most influential to gaming history" games then they are "Top100".

15+ Year Old Account
    Matter of opinions I guess. But this list and mine won't be agreeing with each other any time soon.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Deleted
    I agree with most of the posters in this thread. The criteria, under which these games were chosen for the list, are unknown and apparently REALLY weird. I honestly don't think they know what the f*** they're talking about. And really? The Oregon Trail placing 4th? I haven't even heard of it, and it's a friggin game from 1974. I could understand if it was a genre defining game, but I definitely would have heard of it somehow. I call bullsh*t on that list.

Deleted
    Mass Effect 3 on there atall.
    And at number 10.
    Hahahahaha

ME3... right... and is it one of the greatest and of all time how exactly?
    Last edited by Ascius; 2012-11-16 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

How the fuck is Ocarina of Time not in the top 5? I hope they classified it as "Legend of Zelda"

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    I agree with most of the posters in this thread. The criteria, under which these games were chosen for the list, are unknown and apparently REALLY weird. I honestly don't think they know what the f*** they're talking about. And really? The Oregon Trail placing 4th? I haven't even heard of it, and it's a friggin game from 1974. I could understand if it was a genre defining game, but I definitely would have heard of it somehow. I call bullsh*t on that list.
    You'd have to have been born before ~ 1990 to have heard of Orgeon Trail. I'd assume that most of us who grew up playing it though are comfortable with it's place on that list. I spent countless hours playing it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    How the fuck is Ocarina of Time not in the top 5? I hope they classified it as "Legend of Zelda"
    The Legend of Zelda is The Legend of Zelda. Good god you people are making me feel old.

Probably a list more closely related to greatest of their time. Though I must say angry birds is a bit far fetched. Instead of focusing on the 5 that you dont think should be on there why not be more realistic and realize that damn the majority of them are some of the greatest games ever.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    No other title in the Zelda franchise will EVER come close to the original.

Deleted
    Discuss:

I understand Pong might be revolutionary, but can it really be compared to so much on that list?
    Maybe it should say "most influential", because it Pong was the greatest game of all time, you'd have a lot more people playing it than you do now. Great games like Zelda are very old, and STILL stand the test of time.
    I would also argue that my favorite game, FF7, does to.
    As does Mario.

But Pong?
    No.
    Never have I heard "oh shit I need to go and replay Pong."

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is Duke nukem? Where is C&C games? (and no dune doesnt count as C&C)

This list fells bribed!

Also junk games:
    The Oregon Trail, Breakout, Punch-Out!!, Solitaire, Tecmo Bowl, Wii Sports, Desktop Tower Defense, Flower, Hunt the Wumpus (those dont desere too be called games at all)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Meh, can't take such a list seriously from CNN. CNN never has anything to do with video games anyways.

Also, they are obviously just listing video game franchises because they don't know shit about the actual games in the series. The original Metroid over ANY of the future Metroid games? The original Metroid is the weakest game in the series. Oh wait, Metroid Prime is actually there, but it's on the 76th place, so that's waaaay behind the original Metroid, which Prime undoubtedly and unarguably pummels to death.

The Oregon Trail? A quick google showed it up as an educational game. Now I know quite a lot about video game history, but I've never heard of this one making any kind of impact, especially not compared to Donkey Kong and The Legend of Zelda. Either I just failed on Video Game history, or it's a piss poor attempt to make people play an educational game.

Anyways, not a good list. They don't know anything about the series they're talking about. There are a few exceptions like Diablo II and not just calling it Diablo, but then there's stuff like Mega Man. Could they be any more unspecific? Mega Man has so many fucking games, and the first one of them isn't even the revolutionizing one of them, that'd be Mega Man II. Seems like it's an article made just to gather readers.