Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Sorry Edge but PureMallace is right, Altrius is bad news for the Warrior class. Follow the post started yesterday on the Warrior sub section in regards to the changes made. Several times he is proven completely wrong by the community with hard facts. The guy didnt even know the proper CD times of certain Warrior abilities then proceeded to tell everyone that survivability was less a priority for the 90% of Warriors still leveling over his interest in balancing endgame for the maybe 10% who are actually ready for it. The guy is just bad

Sorry if he is like a friend or something but its the truth.

Edge is a cleric, I think what he meant is don't take the cleric dev away to be the warrior dev.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You're confusing two concepts here.

It isn't about being "entitled" or an "I want it now" attitude. If I were to log onto WoW and demand - in THAT game - that I were mailed a full set of the best gear, then you could call that "feeling entitled".

What's being talked about here isn't that. It's wanting to see a developer produce a game where the content is both plentiful and entertaining enough to keep a player interested without the need to extend the duration of the content with gear grinds, artificial gating, RNG drops, so on and so forth.

See, this is the issue with the genre...players are accustomed to the game *not being fun*.

Think about that for a minute. Isn't that a bit sad? Shouldn't we expect a lot more from developers?
    I want the challenging end content without having to level, without have to gear up, without having to do anything other than logging in and clicking a button. I do not want to do any work to get there. I do not want to do the Hunt Rifts to have to do the Great Hunts(XRs-cause that's what they are). I just want to be able to do what I want, when I want, without working towards it.

That sounds pretty entitled to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Edge is a cleric, I think what he meant is don't take the cleric dev away to be the warrior dev.
    I would take Zinbik in a heartbeat. He is a dick, but I have seen him break down formulations in a ridiculously specific way. Trying not to be to too much of a prick to Atrius, but allowing a skill to go live that stacks up to 99 times and fucking hits for 80,000 means he did literally no testing with it before throwing it out on live.

Zinbiks and Kevricks approach is they try bug fixes, then if a skill is still too OP it gets nerfed. Atrius approach is to nerf and do bug fixes which turn out to be nerfs all at the same time. So when we were supposed to lose 5% we end up losing 20%

Also with Rogues, Clerics, and Mages if Trion fucks up their melee spec they go ranged and are still viable. If Trion messes up our melee specs, then messes up our ranged spec we are a detriment to the raid.

After work I am transferring all my plat to my mage and just leveling him to max. SL seems like a better time then any to start over and gear up my mage as my main. It has been nothing but a stress factory since I picked up playing my warrior again in 1.11 and has not stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Doesn't matter.

I didn't enjoy the concept very much. The desire to "progress" through the hunt rifts is solely based on what advantage they give later on. Not a desire of enjoyment.

I would still hold preference for RRs/XRs by comparison to hunt rifts. The former begin a more engaging concept for me.

Dungeons are a different concept from raids. One can say they dislike dungeons in Rift based on ITn though. That would be totally reasonable. Just as one can say they don't enjoy raiding in Rift without having slogged through them all.

To some degree you can even extend that to raids, yes. As it is possible for a player to simply not like the style of encounter design in ITn and be put off as to not have any interest in Infernal Dawn. Such a player wouldn't need to grind his way up to and complete IDConqLOLz to say he didn't enjoy Rift's instanced design either.

There is no right or wrong in this argument. Defense of the game on those grounds is lowly fanaticism. Enjoyment is personal. I didn't/don't enjoy a certain aspect of the game. Boo hoo.

And those people would be no less wrong if they didn't enjoy presented gameplay in those 10 levels for whatever reason.

That they are entitled to this opinion.

I am aware there are still RRs/XRs available. I merely said I prefer that type of gameplay over hunt rifts. RRs/XRs really don't have much to do with hunt rifts aside from the fact I think they are a cool concept. Unlike hunt rifts.
    You still aren't getting it. Great Hunts are nothing like Hunt Rifts. They are the raid comparison to the dungeon which is why I am making the comparison. This is what people are trying to tell you but you won't listen.

Dungeons are to Raids as Hunt Rifts are to Great Hunts. Great Hunts don't work the same way at all. I would assume that they change even beyond Tier 2.

And yes I'll agree that having to do 40 lures to get access to the more interesting Great Hunts is a bit much, but its really not worth hating on.

I honestly have no problem with people expressing an opinion as long as its an informed one. For example if people have gotten to max level and raided and Rift and just said that to them its not as good as WoW, thats great. But I don't think its acceptable to bash a game if you have played 10 levels. I just don't accept that. I don't judge games based on such limited play time, it just makes you look uninformed. So context matters.

Fencers, the problem with what you're writing is that you're treating "Hunt Rifts" as an entire system based on the very first tier when there's a VAST difference between Hunt Rifts and Great Hunt Rifts.

If you dislike the Hunt Rift system and think it's dull SOLELY because of the progression, grind, and gating present in the system, that's completely fine and your opinion makes sense. If your lack of enjoyment of the Hunt Rift system is based solely on the fact that the system has progression, then your opinion is valid. "I think the Hunt Rift system is not enjoyable and lame because you have to slog through normal Hunt Rifts to get to Great Hunt Rifts," that's something completely fine to say.

But, saying "the Hunt Rift system is dull and lame because I tried a normal Hunt Rift and I didn't like it" is NOT valid. Because there's VAST differences between a normal Hunt Rift and a Great Hunt Rift, you HAVE to try them both before forming an opinion on the entire system.

"I did the HK chronicle, it was lame and I didn't enjoy it, so I'm going to go around telling people the HK raid sucks." Is that valid? No.

My problem isn't your opinion, it's that it's UNINFORMED. I frankly do not care one bit if you like or dislike Hunt Rifts, but it's completely unfair to judge the entire system based on your experience with the most basic Hunt Rift. If you do a normal Hunt Rift, then do a Great Hunt Rift, and your impression is still "I don't enjoy the Hunt Rift system and I think Hunt Rifts are dull and lame," then no one here would complain about your opinion. You deem the defense of the system "fanaticism," but people are just trying to point out that there's MORE to the system than you've tried. You want Open world Rifts that require coordination, strategy, and teamwork and aren't just zergs? You haven't tried Great Hunt Rifts, so how can you reasonably dismiss all Hunt Rifts as being zerg-a-thons?

If you told me "I hate American food" and I asked "what American food did you eat" and you answered "a burger from McDonald's," then I'd have the same reaction. The problem isn't "I hate American food," it's the fact that you said "I hate American food" based on ONE encounter with it and refuse to try anything else and apply your opinion of one item to things YOU HAVEN'T TRIED.

If I'm a "fanatic" because I think your opinion is UNINFORMED (not WRONG, UNINFORMED), then I'm a fanatic, but I don't see why you are so deadset on disregarding an ENTIRE system based on your VERY MINOR experience with it. I don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that your opinion cannot apply to the whole system seeing as how you have not had extensive experience within that system.

This thread has been fascinating and a good read... personally I'm team Fencers. Ill elaborate later if this thread stays active. Too sleepy atm

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    Dungeons are to Raids as Hunt Rifts are to Great Hunts. Great Hunts don't work the same way at all. I would assume that they change even beyond Tier 2.
    You quoted a post where I just said:

Dungeons are a different concept from raids. One can say they dislike dungeons in Rift based on ITn though. That would be totally reasonable. Just as one can say they don't enjoy raiding in Rift without having slogged through them all.

To some degree you can even extend that to raids, yes. As it is possible for a player to simply not like the style of encounter design in ITn and be put off as to not have any interest in Infernal Dawn. Such a player wouldn't need to grind his way up to and complete IDConqLOLz to say he didn't enjoy Rift's instanced design either.

Pretty clear I do not agree with your POV on this.

And yes I'll agree that having to do 40 lures to get access to the more interesting Great Hunts is a bit much, but its really not worth hating on.
    I don't hate hunt rifts. Just got bored and uninterested.

People like different things. Crying in my pancakes over it, natch.

I honestly have no problem with people expressing an opinion as long as its an informed one.
    Having more first hand experience and/or information on great hunt rifts isn't reverent to my enjoyment though.

"This thing is good after the boring part!" is not worthy of consideration.

For example if people have gotten to max level and raided and Rift and just said that to them its not as good as WoW, thats great. But I don't think its acceptable to bash a game if you have played 10 levels.
    Saying you weren't thrilled by one aspect of the content isn't "bashing the game" either. Just putting it out there because... hey, fans of videogames.

I do think it is acceptable for Johnny Freetrial to say he didn't enjoy the game in 10 level without having to reach max level and raiding.

Johnny needs to level to 60 and raid before he can say he disliked a game? Goodness gracious.

You are more than welcomed to that view.

Do not share.

Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Fencers, the problem with what you're writing is that you're treating "Hunt Rifts" as an entire system based on the very first tier when there's a VAST difference between Hunt Rifts and Great Hunt Rifts.
    VAST difference, noted.

Does not effect my enjoyment, eagerness or desire to play more hunt rifts.

If you dislike the Hunt Rift system and think it's dull SOLELY because of the progression, grind, and gating present in the system, that's completely fine and your opinion makes sense. If your lack of enjoyment of the Hunt Rift system is based solely on the fact that the system has progression, then your opinion is valid. "I think the Hunt Rift system is not enjoyable and lame because you have to slog through normal Hunt Rifts to get to Great Hunt Rifts," that's something completely fine to say.
    Yes, this is accurate to my feels presently.

Because there's VAST differences between a normal Hunt Rift and a Great Hunt Rift, you HAVE to try them both before forming an opinion on the entire system.
    If the entire system isn't engaging to me... it's not a system I am going to hold in high regard.

Quite the opposite. As I believe content should be "all killer / no filler". So to speak.

You want Open world Rifts that require coordination, strategy, and teamwork and aren't just zergs? You haven't tried Great Hunt Rifts, so how can you reasonably dismiss all Hunt Rifts as being zerg-a-thons?
    Because I didn't dismiss them all as zerg-a-thons maybe?

If you read the post I was replying to about that; link, it was a comparison between the hunt rifts are RRs in concept.

The slog through the mindless zerg bits before the "good" bits is what I dislike Preferring the more compact and definite RRs/XRs.

I don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that your opinion cannot apply to the whole system seeing as how you have not had extensive experience within that system.
    I played through a bunch of hunt rifts. I joined hunt rifts with guild mates and randoms while leveling to 60 on live. In beta I leveled to 56 with a fair amount of hunt rifts played in Cape Jule.

That's a fair amount of hours running these things to say I was bored and prefer another concept.

Good game systems don't bore me from rank 1-10 before blowing my mind in rank 11.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-22 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Good game systems don't bore me from rank 1-10 before blowing my mind in rank 11.
    If you had tried rank 1-10 this might be a valid complaint, but you've barely done rank 1. Of 7.

There are a lot of comments on Fencers being "uninformed" as well as people being overly dramatic about ONE person on the internet saying they have not enjoyed ONE aspect of the game, but I feel there is one pertinent point being discussed: If fun=y, gaming system=x, random grind of x=n, why is the prevalent mmo philosophy y=x+n? Why can't y=x^x? Why is it necessary to do "work" to get to the point of having fun? Why not have fun be something where there is just a mass amount of it to do?

Personally, I believe the idea of the grind through "filler" content needs to be updated. I'm not saying I hate doing it and will never play a game that has this, but simply it would be nice to have a different type of system. I like the idea of having content be a mass amount of dungeons, raids, or world bosses being showcased at their full potential with the main progression of your character being horizontal (cosmetic gear, cool in game items, achievements, leaderboards). We do the grind because that is all we know and gear makes us feel more powerful, but at the same time ,imo, the root of this is because I have x more of y than that guy because I put in more time doing a repetitive, non-challenging task to get to the actually challenging, fun task.

I DO NOT know how feasible it would be to make mass amount of dungeons, raids, and world bosses. I'm not begging Rift to change, for me this was a good thought exercise, which is the point I think Fencers was trying to make: It's cool that the fun comes at the END,but why not make the journey fun? I enjoy Rift and MMO's in general, but how will the genre evolve in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    2. [ReActive Shield]

Let me preface this. There have been very few things in MMO's that have made me want to go outside and find a kitten and take out my rage on it with a base ball bat, but this ability that Hunt Rift bosses has is one of those rare occasions.

I put ReActive shield on par with zerging the boss in Alterac Valley or Fenris Pants in Aion. The sheer rage that this retarded ability creates is amazing. SOMEONE dumb ass at Trion came up with the great idea to make an ability that absorbs 100% of the damage for 20 seconds, then goes down for less then 2 seconds, then IMMEDIATELY goes back up for 20 seconds.

The one ability causes a 10min Hunt Rift to last for 20-30minutes as you sit there jumping like an idiot waiting for the buff to fall for 2 seconds. I personally hope that the dev who made this ability goes to hell. While in hell he is forced to hit a punching bag that has his nuts in it for eternity just so that he gets a sense of the pure aggravation that this has caused me.
    I am no rift player and i got no clue, but if the numbers are true, then the statement contradict itself.
    When you have a 20 second shield, then 2 secs dmg and then again 20 second shield one interval consists of one shield phase 20 secs, and one DMG phase of 2 secs.
    Thats 22 secs. Of which you do 2 secs DMG. that means under 10% DMG uptime.
    So this would make a 10 minuten bossfight into a 110 minute bossfight and not a 20-30 minute.

Having this calculated i just can propose to recheck your facts.

Why, why Rift sub-forum, why do you make me envious of you every time I open your threads! Stop being so damn happy with your game of choice, get bitter at each other over tiny insignificant things like the rest of the MMO community, hate your developers and critique their every word!

... *sob* ...
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    If you had tried rank 1-10 this might be a valid complaint, but you've barely done rank 1. Of 7.
    I thought there were 6. Regular Hunt Rifts, then 5 Ranks of Great Hunts.

What I find absolutely absurd, is that she says she dislikes Great Hunt Rifts when she has not even tried them. She has done a handful of Regular Rifts and thinks she has done multiple Ranks, not realizing that is all part of the first Rank. What she is doing is more equivalent to saying, I think Dungeons in Rift are boring and uninteresting, whilst being level 1 and not having run any. Chronicles suck, whilst only running the first Chronicle of Attunement. She just cannot understand that is what she is doing because she dismisses the entire system and won't even look at how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Why, why Rift sub-forum, why do you make me envious of you every time I open your threads! Stop being so damn happy with your game of choice, get bitter at each other over tiny insignificant things like the rest of the MMO community, hate your developers and critique their every word!

... *sob* ...
    Can't help it. good game is good. fast content is fast. lotsa love is put into our product and while there are issues, we're pretty supportive of a company that is setting the pace with 1/10th or less of the resources other companies have.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post

... *sob* ...
    Your name is stupid and I'm thinking very bad things about you. If I hated you any more, you'd be one of the Trion developers. LIFE SUCKS and Storm Legion is further proof Trion doesn't care about their playerbase at all. FIRE ELRAR AND HARTSMAN AND DAHANESE AND DEAD SIMON AND EVERYONE ELSE AT TRION AND REPLACE THEM WITH PEOPLE WHO CARE!!!!!!!one!!!!!

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way, all I can say is sorry Ryme, the majority of us are quite smitten, and we don't see that changing any time soon.

Deleted
    Gotta say im properly taken to Rift! Unfortunately my priorities still lie in WoW progression. But as soon as raid finishes im straight onto this game!

Cant wait til we get all content on farm in 1/2 days so i can just play rift more :P got to around level 42 now in over a week of playing casually.

Game is just so well designed, cant wait to see the new expansion content too!

gg trion

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunge18 View Post
    Gotta say im properly taken to Rift! Unfortunately my priorities still lie in WoW progression. But as soon as raid finishes im straight onto this game!

Cant wait til we get all content on farm in 1/2 days so i can just play rift more :P got to around level 42 now in over a week of playing casually.

Game is just so well designed, cant wait to see the new expansion content too!

gg trion
    If you think the stuff you've seen up to level 42 is well-designed, boy are you in for a shock with the 50+!! :O

Also I suggest doing the story quests in IPP about Crucia and the Ice Watch - it's a good lead-up to the stories and what-not in Storm Legion.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

One thing about SL is the world 1st race is actually fun to watch. I also have to say Vioarr just owned some poor guy. Like I have seen owned before, but this is just a step above ownage to something else.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-zaviel-4.html

Harbinger is stupid fun btw

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    One thing about SL is the world 1st race is actually fun to watch. I also have to say Vioarr just owned some poor guy. Like I have seen owned before, but this is just a step above ownage to something else.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-zaviel-4.html
    lol... DAMN. That needs some ointment for sure.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol... DAMN. That needs some ointment for sure.
    Dude read this lol.. All I got to say is DAMNNNNNNN

FoH hasn't been FoH since EQ. They flopped in WoW, they flopped in Rift, and no amount of riding coattails of a roster that hasn't been in any of the games since EQ will change that.

If you were as competent as you believe you would have grasped my argument firmly instead of swinging back and vapor. Testing is not the reason your guild cannot compete with us. Your guild is inferior, welcome to reality. The only way you will ever surpass us is if our roster gets watered down as the game dies more than it already has been.

As far as emotionally driven, the only feeling I have for your kind is contempt and if you were half the mind you think you are then you'd know you are overmatched. I am sorry that your hobby is confronting you with your shortcomings you were previously allowed ignorance of, but I am not your mommy or your school teachers so don't expect me to hold hands around the fire and sing of how we're all the same.

I love how these roid raged internet tough guy dudes spew crap and make themselves and their guilds look garbage by association. can not tell you how disappointed I've been by these "MMO community guilds" and their representatives that span back to the days of dial up internet who get so tough behind a PC monitor.

It also says a lot about a guy who has a hard-on for being competitive in a game that's essentially dying by his own rationale.

How much self esteem can you possibly have if you get any kind of emotion out of being so tough on the interwebz.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }