Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    How much self esteem can you possibly have if you get any kind of emotion out of being so tough on the interwebz.
    To be fair, most of the crap directed towards top players/guilds in games comes from people putting limitations on them selfs and then proceeding to blame the once not doing the same, and trust me, you can only take so much crap, ignorance and plain stupidity before you get that type of attitude.

It also says a lot about a guy who has a hard-on for being competitive in a game that's essentially dying by his own rationale.

How much self esteem can you possibly have if you get any kind of emotion out of being so tough on the interwebz.
    My theory is I think Trion knows where the weak spots are and they are going to take action shortly. They cannot stand to get in that pattern of losing subs due to ineffective and incompetent class devs. Atrius I am looking at you. He has had a year and a half + god knows how much alpha and BETA testing to get the warrior class on par with other classes and has utterly failed.

I know very well Trion has already started losing subs over Atrius being so bad, so I see him switching positions or jobs very soon.

Vioarr is right btw. You had a lot of big talking guilds come into Rift claiming to be #1 and they have been put in check or broken up due to failing so many times. I mean shit the first nerfs to Hammerknell took 4 months? ID took like 3+ months if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    To be fair, most of the crap directed towards top players/guilds in games comes from people putting limitations on them selfs and then proceeding to blame the once not doing the same, and trust me, you can only take so much crap, ignorance and plain stupidity before you get that type of attitude.
    I've been there and many others in this very sub-forum have as well. Its no excuse, it really isn't. People are entitled to their own opinions. a lot of the hardcore replies you end up reading that are written in a derogatory manner stem from a "you haven't done as much as me, therefore, stfu" mentality, and I've seen it directed towards a lot of players who dare to say "what's this mechanism or this feature or this attribute for".

To be fair, its not just the high end community. the self proclaimed "casuals" are notorious for their low self esteem too. The thing I find most ironic is that both sets will always.. ALWAYS gravitate to the same argument: "Have you done boss X on HMode, NO? THEN a. you aren't as good as me, or b. your a moron and your argument about content is invalid".

It kinda gives me a chuckle.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

I've been there and many others in this very sub-forum have as well. Its no excuse, it really isn't. People are entitled to their own opinions. a lot of the hardcore replies you end up reading that are written in a derogatory manner stem from a "you haven't done as much as me, therefore, stfu" mentality, and I've seen it directed towards a lot of players who dare to say "what's this mechanism or this feature or this attribute for".
    Not saying it's totally justified but on the other hand a lot of the criticism is equally unjustified to begin with.

To be fair, its not just the high end community. the self proclaimed "casuals" are notorious for their low self esteem too. The thing I find most ironic is that both sets will always.. ALWAYS gravitate to the same argument: "Have you done boss X on HMode, NO? THEN a. you aren't as good as me, or b. your a moron and your argument about content is invalid".

It kinda gives me a chuckle.
    This is a part of the problem, if player X didn't kill boss Y then he isn't as good (as progressed is perhaps a better term), usually not so much due to personal skill but restrictions placed on one self, such as only wanting to play with once friends, not wanting to "cheese" fights or use other borderline tactics, not saying there is anything wrong with playing the game as such something the self proclaimed "casual" crowd seem to think and as such proceed to blame the "elite" for not playing according to their self imposed rule set.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    My theory is I think Trion knows where the weak spots are and they are going to take action shortly. They cannot stand to get in that pattern of losing subs due to ineffective and incompetent class devs. Atrius I am looking at you. He has had a year and a half + god knows how much alpha and BETA testing to get the warrior class on par with other classes and has utterly failed.

I know very well Trion has already started losing subs over Atrius being so bad, so I see him switching positions or jobs very soon.

Vioarr is right btw. You had a lot of big talking guilds come into Rift claiming to be #1 and they have been put in check or broken up due to failing so many times. I mean shit the first nerfs to Hammerknell took 4 months? ID took like 3+ months if not longer.
    Did you? I didnt hear any big talking guilds (certainly not any well known ones, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Fires of Heaven is the only one I can think of that I know the name of and they arent the same as they were in their "heyday". Hell, even Ciderhelm said once that there are no guilds that compete in Rift at the same level as Paragon, Vodka or Method. Part of the reason ID took so long as well was due to the gating, and bosses plain being unkillable when guilds first encountered them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    Hell, even Ciderhelm said once that there are no guilds that compete in Rift at the same level as Paragon, Vodka or Method. Part of the reason ID took so long as well was due to the gating, and bosses plain being unkillable when guilds first encountered them.
    Ciderhelm left because he did not want another hardcore raiding game which is what he saw at end game for Rift, especially with HK. Few of these upper guilds were comprised of some of those top WoW players. Don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise. More then a few of them moonlighted in Rift while waiting 6 months for new raid content in WoW.

Rift can become a good raiding game if it overcomes the shit with buggy raids being released because it re enforces that WoW fanboi argument that time = quality. Also with WoW moving more and more to the SUPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR casual side of the player base.

Cider also had a kid and felt the audience for Rift was too small to build his business around.

Since leaving Cider has been doing a TON of League of Legends stuff and recently Guild Wars 2 stuff.

Nice guy.

Mmorpg.com
    Two reviews already. Check riftgame.com if you want to get the temperature of the game.
    Save you some time. This Xpac is loved and celebrated.
    Fact: Rift is likely the friendliest community you'll ever meet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    Mmorpg.com
    Two reviews already. Check riftgame.com if you want to get the temperature of the game.
    Save you some time. This Xpac is loved and celebrated.
    Fact: Rift is likely the friendliest community you'll ever meet.
    Agreed /10 char

Boss fights like Sicaron broke the weak willed guilds. I don't know if thats a good thing or bad but personally I think its a good thing. Alot of people don't like raid wipe mechanics where you can literally pin all the blame on one person. It can really splinter guilds. However I think the strongest guilds came out of HK and the guilds that were on top left mostly due to boredrom in the interim. The only real progression raiding I did in Rift was back in GSB. And it was much more laid back than said raiding in WoW and certainly in EQ. Nothing was as hardcore as EQ progression raiding.

But the guilds at the very top of the Rift ladder are made up of gamers who are driven, love the game (generally speaking) and also very detail oriented. Many of them for those same reasons also make good testers. Trion isn't stupid. My real complaint has always not been that such and such guild could test, but that every guild that wanted couldn't test. It wouldn't change much but it would end the stupid forum arguments for the most part. Its one area where I think Trion does need to take a page from Blizzard. Blizzard realized fairly early on that open raid testing was the way to go. They have a paid raid testing team on staff but Trion probably can't afford to do that. Opening up raid testing to any guild who feels they could handle it may not make a huge difference but it will probably swat a few bugs that would have made it through otherwise and would definitely negate some of the stupid drama. It bugs me when people blame the guilds who got the chance to test though, what do people expect them to do? Refuse? If they want to blame anyone then blame Trion. Just realize that Trion thinks these people make effect testers for a very good reason. The general personality of progression raiders has many of the traits that are desirable in a quality game tester.

What people need to understand about the guild quality in Rift vs WoW is that you may have a few players of the same caliber as Paragon/Vodka/Blood Legion players but WoW is a huge game, there are enough of these top tier players to make a full guild. These players in those three WoW guilds are insanely good at what they do. No other game ever will have whole guilds raiding of that caliber cause I truly believe no other game will ever blow up like WoW did. It was anomalyous. However that speaks nothing about the quality of Rift raiding or even of the players raiding in Rift. It just speaks to the ridiculousness of a extreme small percent of WoW players in a game that is 10x the size. If Rift had the same population as WoW you would have guilds just as good if not better than Paragon. And I truly believe that from a design standpoint no other MMO out there is as good as Rift's dungeon and raid team. Do they need to work on their bug testing? Absolutely. But the Rift Encounter designers are mad genius's. And I think yes, if you take Ragnaros, and Akylios and had Paragon run both, it would absolutely have taken them longer to down Akylios than it did for them to down Raggy. No empirical evidence to back my claim but I've done both encounters and I think Rag is slightly less taxing. Akylios after he was killable, was one of the most demanding encounters I've ever seen from a mechanical standpoint. Ragnaros was no cakewalk either, both encounters were both very movement intensive with a ton of stuff to keep track of, but I think Akylios was just that much less forgiving.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2012-11-28 at 07:02 AM.

Deleted
    Review from a swedish gamingsite:
    http://www.fz.se/artiklar/recension/...t-storm-legion

4/5 and the best MMO-expansion of the year atleast!

Deleted
    Tentonhammer.com gave it a 90% out of 100 http://www.tentonhammer.com/reviews/rift-storm-legion

5 critic scores here ranging from 70 to 91 out of 100, 4 posotive 1 mixed 0 negative http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ri...critic-reviews

My personal score is 9.7/10

I think it was received well to be honest: "Really, I don’t think I’ve seen an expansion done this well since Wrath of the Lich King for World of Warcraft. Absolutely every expectation I have for an MMO expansion – and my expectations are high – was not only met with Storm Legion, but exceeded. There’s a truly massive amount of new things to do and areas to explore."
    http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/...iscussion_id=0

Oh my lord is this guy serious?:
    Difficult to recommend to new players
    Distinct lack of innovation
    Pricey, especially alongside a subscription
    Dimensions are disappointing

Nice user review here lol : "getorkyNov 14, 20121
    poor performance on average machines. visuals are hideous on anything less than high settings. voice acting is crass. expansion seems like a parody of "vanilla" RIFT." 1/10

Positive user review's: "I came back to RIFT for Storm Legion after I had reached endgame in the original. The new content and new ways of leveling are a lot of fun, and I feel constantly engaged by the world. From a lore standpoint, I like the fact that rifts have gone from being 'Oh no we're being invaded!' to 'Time to start taking the fight to the enemy!', which is appealing. And Dimensions! People who want player housing are going to be thrilled with this, it's fantastic! All in all, I couldn't be more satisfied with Storm Legion and look forward to playing all the way through it"

"Storm Legion brings a host of new material and exiting new features, far more than the typical MMO expansion. While it has a ton of new content the real improvements are gameplay changes. New types of rifts and content means that you are literally spoiled for choice at endgame. The levelling experience has been vastly improved and quest lines are immersive, despite this questing remains a weak spot in the game. With different things to do during leveling (Carnage, Rifts, Quests, Instant Adventures, Dungeons, Onslaughts) the game does vary things up nicely. The game world and art direction is beautiful and detailed however still shows signs of poor optimisation as a result of the aging 'Gamebryo' engine, which isn't optimised for multicore support. Despite this, the game is more than competent and brings nothing but improvements to the game. The direction RIFT is heading in is truly exciting and is deserving of its subscription status. 9/10"

"Rift: Storm Legion has a ton of added content. The new map is 3 times the size of the old map. The quests are more fun. They also added carnage quests which play a lot like guild wars 2 quests. You can now upgrade armor through different levels like upgrade a green cape to a blue item level cape, etc. More dungeons, content, etc. The only thing that is annoying is leveling again. It will take you about as long as it took you to get to 50 to get from 50-60. I really just wanted to jump right into the end game content. I guess its unavoidable though" 10/10

Another critics score here
    Josh Waters

Gameplay: 8 - Storm Legion does more to improve gameplay than any other aspect of the game.

Graphics: 7 - Those who can run the game at high settings will find it beautiful, but at middle and lower settings the change is drastic.

Sound: 6 - Rift's sound is pretty decent, and Storm Legion does add more.

Value: 7 - For what it adds, Storm Legion definitely warrants its price tag - but with Rift continuing to operate in the subscription-based arena, it is still an expensive game.

Overall: 7
    Last edited by mmoc135db6b2b5; 2012-11-28 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Pricey, especially alongside a subscription
    O_o

Guess he must have been outraged by the price of MoP then.

Deleted
    There seems to be a lot of bitching about having to buy the expansion, and how free to play is the best thing ever. -_-

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    O_o

Guess he must have been outraged by the price of MoP then.
    I know right? MoP costs like £40 when it came out.

There seems to be a lot of bitching about having to buy the expansion, and how free to play is the best thing ever. -_-
    To be fair, Trion had said at one point early on they would never charge for an expansion. At least I think I remember someone saying they said that. I'm not to sure anymore. Now, I am not a big fan of F2P either, but I think a sub is enough, and charging for an expansion is asking a bit much. However, they did practically give it away(year sub) and they do offer discounts on subs all the time, and the original game itself is $5 so it's not hard for a new player to get in. I'm not saying SL is not worth the price tag either. I just think it's a bit weird to pay them a sub so they can keep developing content, then have to pay them again for access to that content I paid them to develop. However, as long as they keep the level of content where they have it, and continue to release it at the speed they release it, I'll continue to throw money at them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    To be fair, Trion had said at one point early on they would never charge for an expansion. At least I think I remember someone saying they said that. I'm not to sure anymore. Now, I am not a big fan of F2P either, but I think a sub is enough, and charging for an expansion is asking a bit much. However, they did practically give it away(year sub) and they do offer discounts on subs all the time, and the original game itself is $5 so it's not hard for a new player to get in. I'm not saying SL is not worth the price tag either. I just think it's a bit weird to pay them a sub so they can keep developing content, then have to pay them again for access to that content I paid them to develop. However, as long as they keep the level of content where they have it, and continue to release it at the speed they release it, I'll continue to throw money at them.
    God, you must really hate WoW then they charge double the price and don't deliver a lot of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    To be fair, Trion had said at one point early on they would never charge for an expansion. At least I think I remember someone saying they said that.
    Basically here is how the wording worked.

Reporter: "Will Rift have expansions?"
    Scott Hartsman: "We do not believe people should have to wait until an expansion to get a "crap" (my words here) of content"

This was like April 2011ishhh I think. Noone knew how to take that exactly. You know the WoW formula. 3 content patches then a 40$+ expansion, rinse and repeat. Rifts patterns looks to be 11+ content or concept patches then an expansion.

I guess Scott could have said 'Yes we are already working on an expansion, but we will be delivering content at a fast pace and not forcing people to wait"

My opinion is the expansion has been a 8/10 for the sheer content added. I saw how they used the landmass in Chocolate Rift and crammed shit into every nook and cranny and can only imagine what they have planned for SL with these massive continents. The main issue I got is time.

Only reason it gets a 8 and not a 9 or a 10 is because they clearly never learned from 1.0 to 1.1 and managed to piss off the entire warrior player base yet again. That is 1/4 of your games population being managed by a sheer idiot.

Sorry 1+ years into this shit warriors should be like Mages right now getting a bug fix here and there. Not entire class revisions patch to patch. I forgave the stuff for a long time, but now it is just incompetence which is why I gave up on my warrior all together going forward.

Deleted
    Basically here is how the wording worked.

Reporter: "Will Rift have expansions?"
    Scott Hartsman: "We do not believe people should have to wait until an expansion to get a "crap" (my words here) of content"

This was like April 2011ishhh I think. Noone knew how to take that exactly. You know the WoW formula. 3 content patches then a 40$+ expansion, rinse and repeat. Rifts patterns looks to be 11+ content or concept patches then an expansion.

I guess Scott could have said 'Yes we are already working on an expansion, but we will be delivering content at a fast pace and not forcing people to wait"

My opinion is the expansion has been a 8/10 for the sheer content added. I saw how they used the landmass in Chocolate Rift and crammed shit into every nook and cranny and can only imagine what they have planned for SL with these massive continents. The main issue I got is time.

Only reason it gets a 8 and not a 9 or a 10 is because they clearly never learned from 1.0 to 1.1 and managed to piss off the entire warrior player base yet again. That is 1/4 of your games population being managed by a sheer idiot.

Sorry 1+ years into this shit warriors should be like Mages right now getting a bug fix here and there. Not entire class revisions patch to patch. I forgave the stuff for a long time, but now it is just incompetence which is why I gave up on my warrior all together going forward.
    You know, the only developer i dislike at trion is actually the warrior developer, i think its time the class had a new designer who knows how to actually make a class work, maybe someone like the mage designer.

You know, the only developer i dislike at trion is actually the warrior developer, i think its time the class had a new designer who knows how to actually make a class work, maybe someone like the mage designer.
    The main issue with Atrius is he is working against the warrior community and is constantly losing. Some of these stupid exploit builds are blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

The use of a sledge hammer and not a scalpel is turning off a lot of people to this class. Automatically off top warrior dps needs to some way to account for these interrupts in these boss fights where range can essentially stand still and blast a boss while warrior have to stop and go..stop and go..stop and go.

Trion also needs to understand Champion was popular because you could single target and Aoe in one build. It was nowhere near the best ST, but we did not have to switch specs between trash pulls and bosses. Warrior tanking is a flat out joke right now and anyone watching any of the end game progression guilds cannot argue this.

The fucking logic behind these nerfs is simply retarded. Every other class gets some type of mini heal while leveling and soloing, but warriors can't? Like pulling only one mob is ok while my mage can own 3-4 mobs at once and come out at full health. You seen what clerics can do while soloing??

Trions main weak point since release has been class balancing. It took 120 servers down to like 20ish. I question if some of these devs play the game because you can sit there and see someone log off and quit the game on the spot from the frustration of the up and down. The give a shit attitude of Atrius has beyond gotten old.

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...ml#post4048852

TEMPEST
    * Electricity Cascade: Can now only be applied to a target once per character. This ability should be getting re-enabled for Tempests.
    26 page thread with 24,000 views and this is the only change after 5+ days of silence from Atrius. Talk about a fuck you to the warrior class. My decision to make my mage my main is reaffirmed yet again.

Deleted
    The main issue with Atrius is he is working against the warrior community and is constantly losing. Some of these stupid exploit builds are blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

The use of a sledge hammer and not a scalpel is turning off a lot of people to this class. Automatically off top warrior dps needs to some way to account for these interrupts in these boss fights where range can essentially stand still and blast a boss while warrior have to stop and go..stop and go..stop and go.

Trion also needs to understand Champion was popular because you could single target and Aoe in one build. It was nowhere near the best ST, but we did not have to switch specs between trash pulls and bosses. Warrior tanking is a flat out joke right now and anyone watching any of the end game progression guilds cannot argue this.

The fucking logic behind these nerfs is simply retarded. Every other class gets some type of mini heal while leveling and soloing, but warriors can't? Like pulling only one mob is ok while my mage can own 3-4 mobs at once and come out at full health. You seen what clerics can do while soloing??

Trions main weak point since release has been class balancing. It took 120 servers down to like 20ish. I question if some of these devs play the game because you can sit there and see someone log off and quit the game on the spot from the frustration of the up and down. The give a shit attitude of Atrius has beyond gotten old.

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...ml#post4048852

26 page thread with 24,000 views and this is the only change after 5+ days of silence from Atrius. Talk about a fuck you to the warrior class. My decision to make my mage my main is reaffirmed yet again.
    Grab a pitchfork and a torch we are going to Trion HQ! Warriors Rejoice! haha