10+ Year Old Account

World of warcraft Demographics and information

First off, i'll introduce myself.

My name is Martyn, and i'm currently doing a User Experience Design course, in which for part of my assignment, I was to create a PACT analysis, as well as a draft questionnaire, and I just thought i'd like to put forward my general PACT analysis results, or part of them anyway, as feedback would help me a hell of a lot.

So basically, for those of you that don't know, a PACT analysis is analysis of each of the following four : People, Activities, Context, and Technologies, hence PACT.

Due to creating this Analysis, I thought it would be best to approach the people in which this assignment is based on, so here we go.
    As required in part of my assignment, I have to discuss the main groups of people who play world of warcraft.

Firstly, the main groups in which I think play WoW, are:

Obviously, the main group which I think play WoW, are Gamers, and only gamers, this may seem short sighted, but it is the only main group of WoW I can think of which is broad enough to be considered a main group.

Sub groups of this, are:

Males
    Females
    Casuals
    Hardcore players
    PVP'ers
    PVE'ers
    People between the ages of 15-40 on average.

I would also think, that due to the high " computer " knowledge wow requires, i'd say the average player of WoW, has average to high level knowledge of computers in general.

I would also like to think that, the average Wow player, plays between 20 and 25 hours a week.
    the majority of Wow players are male, with statistics showing that on average, 68% of the player base being male ( actual statistics are for EU, 71% are male, 29% female USA 65% male, 35% female)

As this is important, feedback would be very much appreciate, I also appreciate that the above is a wall of text, in which I apologise for.

Feedback in particular about the sub groups of the "gamers" is well appreciated, as I found this troublesome splitting gamers into sub categories both in real life, and in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'd disagree with the "requirement" to be technically minded to be able to play. I'd even go so far as to say that you could be technically illiterate in many aspects and still play comfortably. The computer forums here are somewhat of a testament that there are a great number of these types of people, but they're balanced by a similar number who are knowledgeable.
    Absolutely. My father is 66, failing eyesight and barely knows modern computers, and he plays just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    @synthaxx
    Gender demographics are of actual real people, as in participant data, not in game characters, as in literally, they are a man, they are a woman, not, they play a man, they play a woman.

in the US, people who play wow, 35% are female, 65% are male, eu 71% of players are male, 29% are female.

the part about the requirements was tough to discuss, because I have to look at the average gamer, which is difficult due to there being sub divisions, such as casual player averages, hardcore player averages, therefore I tried to base it overall, in the mindset of " if i was an average wow player, would I know my way round a computer" etc, whereas what darsithis is very important, because that may reflect real life data, or be an anomoly and out of the average range.