Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Symptoms of depression are less likely to be noticed in men.

    This is a Reddit repost.

    PROBLEM: We know that depression is much more common in women than men, but how do gender differences affect who we encourage to seek help?

    METHODOLOGY: Vignettes covering the standard symptoms of depression in non-clinical language were presented to a representative sample of 1,218 British adults. The stories were all identical, but half referred to a female character, while the other half were about a male:

    "For the past two weeks, Jack/Kate has been feeling really down. S/he wakes up in the morning with a flat, heavy feeling that sticks with her all day. She isn't enjoying things the way she normally would. In fact, nothing gives her pleasure...He/she finds it hard to concentrate on anything. He feels out of energy and out of steam. And even though Jack feels tired, when night comes he can't go to sleep."
    After reading the stories, the participants were asked whether they thought the character might have a mental disorder, and how likely they were to recommend that he or she seek professional health. They were also asked how distressing they thought the character's problem was, how difficult it might be to treat, and how sympathetic they felt toward him or her.


    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...CMrcPsw.reddit

  2. #2
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,891
    Short answer: Men are often less open about their feelings, and when something is wrong they hide it for fear it is a sign of weakness.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  3. #3
    It's less likely to notice depression on men simply because a lot of men were told to supress their feelings when feeling bad, so yeah, I'd say that's the main reason to why it's hard to see if a man has depression or not, but I'm sure there's more than just that.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It's less likely to notice depression on men simply because a lot of men were told to supress their feelings when feeling bad, so yeah, I'd say that's the main reason to why it's hard to see if a man has depression or not, but I'm sure there's more than just that.
    Well, if you read the article you see that the words didn't change. Only the name and pronouns did.

    The exact same symptoms in men are significantly less likely to be noticed as Depression. So it's not just about them seeking help for themselves or expressing their emotions. Even if they did, people around them would be less likely to think there was something wrong with them.

  5. #5
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    It's been hammed into the male psyche for generations that we're not to show emotion, not to talk about our feelings, or share our problems. It's a "man's burden". So, not surprised in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  6. #6
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tromsø
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It's less likely to notice depression on men simply because a lot of men were told to supress their feelings when feeling bad, so yeah, I'd say that's the main reason to why it's hard to see if a man has depression or not, but I'm sure there's more than just that.
    I agree, if a man goes through something traumatic, our society's response will most likely to tell him to suck it up and continue with his life.
    Fienden sitt våpen kastet, opp visiret for,
    vi med undren mot ham hastet, ti han var vår bror.
    Drevne frem på stand av skammen gikk vi søderpå;
    nu vi står tre brødre sammen,
    og skal sådan stå!

  7. #7
    There's a reason the saying goes "Man Up"
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  8. #8
    Yep, everyone pretty much has it, I'm actually literally on this topic in my Theories of Personality class.

    Gender Roles have forced an over exertion of masculinity on the general male populace, which entails a lack of expression in the emotional realm.

    We also do not look for them in males, and when it becomes blatantly evident, we label them things like "Emos," and shun their ways of expression.

    The world is a cruel place.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's been hammed into the male psyche for generations that we're not to show emotion, not to talk about our feelings, or share our problems. It's a "man's burden". So, not surprised in the slightest.
    I don't think that anyone wants to accept it.

    A lot of people assume that men are conceited and pride themselves on their independence, but I've seen just as many if not more women who are the same.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Short answer: Men are often less open about their feelings, and when something is wrong they hide it for fear it is a sign of weakness.
    It's more like more people are more likely to show concern about a woman acting depressed than a male. I'd guess part of it has to do with gender protectionism (I'm sure there's a technical term for that).

    Being open about feelings isn't part of this particular scenario, as both subjects behaved the same way... it's more about how an outside party reacted to it.

    *edited*
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2012-11-16 at 09:24 PM.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    There's a reason the saying goes "Man Up"
    So, if a woman has depression, do you tell her to, woman up?



    ...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's been hammed into the male psyche for generations that we're not to show emotion, not to talk about our feelings, or share our problems. It's a "man's burden". So, not surprised in the slightest.
    Again, this isn't about whether or not men show the signs.

    It's a blind study involving simply changing pronouns and the name in a paragraph.

    Female pronouns meant that the observer was more likely to think the subject had Depression.

    Male pronouns significantly reduced that likelihood.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    So, if a woman has depression, do you tell her to, woman up?



    ...
    No, you want people to act like men, not women. thats why you say "Man up".

  14. #14
    Warchief Knight Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    There's a reason the saying goes "Man Up"
    There's a reason that saying is retarded as hell.

    No, you want people to act like men, not women. thats why you say "Man up".
    I want people to act like people, not as if what you have been born with between your legs should dictate how you should act.

  15. #15
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Again, this isn't about whether or not men show the signs.

    It's a blind study involving simply changing pronouns and the name in a paragraph.

    Female pronouns meant that the observer was more likely to think the subject had Depression.

    Male pronouns significantly reduced that likelihood.
    its cause of the expectations that men can shrug off anything, and dont feel as much emotional pain.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by zykaz View Post
    No, you want people to act like men, not women. thats why you say "Man up".
    So, you want women to act like men instead of acting like they want? Okay.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    There's a reason that saying is retarded as hell.



    I want people to act like people, not as if what you have been born with between your legs should dictate how you should act.
    Similar to sports when a player is injured. They "gut it out" or "man up" and play through the pain. It doesn't mean much of anything. It's just a saying, nothing more. No need to get so defensive about it.

  18. #18
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    There's a reason the saying goes "Man Up"
    A Depression is nothing to make Jokes about. No one should act like THE MANLY BEING. Actually, in our quick evolving World Depression has become one of the most common disorders and is diagnosed more often than other Things. People shouldn't "man up", they should council an Expert and seek out Help. There's nothing to gain in keeping it a secret nor is anyone going to make fun of someone who suffers under a Depression.

    Things like that are the Reason that People keep their Mouths shut. People keep it for themself because they feel embarrased when people talk down to them. So just knock this Shit out.

    I'm diagnosed with a Depression and i'm in Therapy because of it. Nothing to be ashamed of, i'm proud i jumped over my Shadow and took a helping Hand. I'm already feeling alot better.

    So, even if Men notice those Symptons not as good as Women, they can if they wouldn't just swallow it. So let's turn this "Man up"-thing around.

    If they know that something is not right, they should man up and seek help. I think thats harder than keeping your Mouth shut.

  19. #19
    Warchief Letmesleep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Spooning you without your knowledge
    Posts
    1,972
    Suppress my feelings? Fuck that. You're going to know I'm depressed whether you like it or not

  20. #20
    Warchief Knight Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Similar to sports when a player is injured. They "gut it out" or "man up" and play through the pain. It doesn't mean much of anything. It's just a saying, nothing more. No need to get so defensive about it.
    It's not just a saying. It's a mindset so deeply ingrained in today's society that you can't really criticize it without being called a "pussy", a "beta", a "faggot", or something stupid like that.


    So let's turn this "Man up"-thing around.

    If they know that something is not right, they should man up and seek help. I think thats harder than keeping your Mouth shut.
    I like this way of thinking

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •